A letter to my intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've yet to have one of these...

Yeah...admittedly I know there are people here (in various fields) who don't either.

It's really a shame...it takes maybe 15-20 minutes out of your day, and makes the entire rotation run so much more smoothly. Everyone's expectations and goals are clear, and the med students don't feel like they're just wandering around, getting in everyone's way, while being fearful that they're going to get slammed on their evals.

Besides, ideally, us residents are supposed to sit down with the students most days, for at least 15-20 minutes to talk about key teaching points.

I have several "prepackaged" lectures that I always give my students...the basics, like:

*Admission/transfer orders
*Post-op orders
*Electrolytes and fluids
*Sutures
*Ventilators
*Various bread and butter General Surgery stuff - cholecystitis, appendicitis, small bowel obstruction, breast cancer

And then some practical stuff, like how to tie, suture, and place a central line.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah...admittedly I know there are people here (in various fields) who don't either.

It's really a shame...it takes maybe 15-20 minutes out of your day, and makes the entire rotation run so much more smoothly. Everyone's expectations and goals are clear, and the med students don't feel like they're just wandering around, getting in everyone's way, while being fearful that they're going to get slammed on their evals.

Besides, ideally, us residents are supposed to sit down with the students most days, for at least 15-20 minutes to talk about key teaching points.

I have several "prepackaged" lectures that I always give my students...the basics, like:

*Post-op orders
*Electrolytes and fluids
*Sutures
*Ventilators
*Various bread and butter General Surgery stuff - cholecystitis, appendicitis, small bowel obstruction, breast cancer

And then some practical stuff, like how to tie, suture, and place a central line.
i would love to work w/ you......i dontt hink i had more than 10 minutes of face time w/ my senior total during my whole month on IM...

Members don't see this ad :)

*Post-op orders
*Electrolytes and fluids
*Sutures
*Ventilators

I would have really liked information on any of those. Unfortunately my chief was simply obsessed with having as much OR time as possible, didn't leave much time for us med students unless we were on call with him and there weren't any cases.

I would have really liked information on any of those. Unfortunately my chief was simply obsessed with having as much OR time as possible, didn't leave much time for us med students unless we were on call with him and there weren't any cases.

That's a shame. There are so many learning opportunities on busy rotations - just have to consciously decide to teach the med students a pearl or two every day instead of "waiting and seeing if the opportunity arises."

Needs to be a more proactive process, IMHO.

That's a shame. There are so many learning opportunities on busy rotations - just have to consciously decide to teach the med students a pearl or two every day instead of "waiting and seeing if the opportunity arises."

Needs to be a more proactive process, IMHO.

Totally! You sound like an awesome resident--would have made my surgery rotation much more bearable! ;)