A letter to request a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talked to a faculty member and he said he would definitely write a LOR and to talk to the secretary. The secretary said to write a letter requesting a LOR. Any tips on what to write? The faculty guy knows me pretty well so I am kinda hesitating on what and how much to write. Any thoughts?!

Members don't see this ad.

I would think the letter should probably be very general, stating that u would like to request a LOR, and maybe mention the rotation and duration of contact that u had with this particular faculty member and what specialty you are planning to use the letter for (unless of course u plan to use it for more than one specialty in which case it would be better to get a general letter). You could also attach ur CV and personal statement with the letter.

Thats just my 2 cents worth..any other ideas?

I'd actually take this opportunity to put some words in his mouth. Tell him how you think you did. "I believe I exceled at..." "I had numerous patients complement me on my raport and..." "I was consistently on time and even showed extensive initiative by staying late and helping with admits when the other students had left". Stuff like that. Put these seeds in his head and let 'em grow into a superb LOR.

We were told to do a folder for the letter writer with the cover page from ERAS, envelope to send it back in, copy of CV and personal statement, copies of any publications if you have them, and an unofficial transcript.

I'd actually take this opportunity to put some words in his mouth. Tell him how you think you did. "I believe I exceled at..." "I had numerous patients complement me on my raport and..." "I was consistently on time and even showed extensive initiative by staying late and helping with admits when the other students had left". Stuff like that. Put these seeds in his head and let 'em grow into a superb LOR.

This sounds good! What else along these lines I can put? Thanks again.