A Lineweaver-Burk question:Is it more accurate to estimate Vmax from [V] vs [S] curve, or from Linew

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Apr 12, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Is it more accurate to estimate Vmax from [V] vs curve, or from Lineweaver-Burk equation?

This is a question from Princeton Biochemistry Review book page 95 Chapter 4 Practice passage. In the passage, it says in second paragraph:

"Despite the advantages of this linear representation of enzymatic rate data, the Lineweaver-Burk plot introduces greater error when used to determine Vmax and Km. Thus, it is not recommended when highly accurate values of these kinetic parameters are desired.

Then question 1 is "Which of the following is the best estimate for the Vmax of the enzyme represented by Figure 1"

In figure 1, it contains both the [V] vs curve and Lineweaver-Burk representation. V vs S curve levels off between 40-45 umol/min; but y axis intersect at 0.01 (which correspond to 50 if using 1/Vmax)

The correct answer according to book is D (52 umol/min) instead of C (44 umol/min)

What I cannot understand is: the passage said specifically that L-B plot introduce greater error for determining Vmax. Why it still chooses Vmax value from L-B plot instead of V vs S plot?

5words

2+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2016
Go back an re-read the passage, obv what they are saying is that L-B is more accurate than traditional plot but still not the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 12, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Go back an re-read the passage, obv what they are saying is that L-B is more accurate than traditional plot but still not the best.

Thank you.
It seems that the second paragraph which I did not quote here did say something like it was difficult to curve fit V S data accurately. And the sentences I quote here shows there is error with L-B, which as you said, not the best.
Now I understand it a little better. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.