a list of decision variables...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syn_apse

Registered Loser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
since some people are comparing schools i thought i'd start a list:

4 year cost
facilities
technology
faculty
specialties
research
class size
family geography
climate (beach vs. skiing)

what are some others?

Members don't see this ad.

city culture
city nightlife
school's funding
academic support
clinical preparation
clinical requirements to graduate
alumni opinions
class schedule (blocks, time of day, etc.)
private practice v. general residency
friendliness when you visit
appearance of the building
board scores of current students - can reflect on teachers

Members don't see this ad :)
howui3 said:
board scores of current students - can reflect on teachers

True, though board scores probably (in my experience interacting with other students at ortho interviews) reflect students more than the school they came from.

Also, add "quality of basketball team" to the list. :) Go heels.

jpollei said:
True, though board scores probably (in my experience interacting with other students at ortho interviews) reflect students more than the school they came from.

How about quality of hockey team instead? :thumbup:

jpollei said:

You are right, ultimatley the students board scores are a reflection of themselves.

But looking at the overall trend and board scores of the dental students at a particular school can tell you about how well the curriculum works and how well the faculty present the material. If the students are all doing very well and have a very high passing rate then they are learning the matial (both in and out of class).

Since it's hard to learn the entire physiology class in a few weeks before the board exam the material you learn in class does matter. And if you have a great teacher that motivates and helps you learn it will be reflected on your exams.

For that reason, the exam scores, for me, reflect the quality and effectiveness of the currculum and the teachers.

boree said:
How about quality of hockey team instead? :thumbup:

That was my EXACT thought...too bad I'm going to Creighton or Louisville. (At least I witnessed the best college hockey tradition of all time for 4 years in undergrad...GO KNIGHTS).

(Course I also got to see some of those Avs and Wings games live too) :smuggrin: