A Little Advice Needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rippin' Kittin'

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if I should give up hope, retake classes or maybe some other option I did not foresee.

I am currently a sophomore in my 3rd semester of college. My freshman year did not go too well, and I ended with a 3.1 GPA, also receiving a "C" in General Chem I, and a "C" in College Algebra. Should I retake those two classes, paying the money to receive a better grade, or just focus on getting A’s in all other classes after that. I was also placed into a remedial Math class my freshman year, and tested into College Algebra after the drop date passed, thus leaving me with a D in Remedial Math. Lastly, I did not take my Freshman Learning Elective thingy very seriously due to the fact that when transferring to a 4 year college, they only accept college level credits, and figure it could not hurt my score, but after reading somewhere that medical schools look at ALL coursework attempted at college, I now have fears that these classes will come back to hurt me.

Any advice on my situation is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

-Rippin’ Kittin’

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the classes, especially gen chem and probably math as well if you want to go to any school that has a calculus requirement. These classes form the basis for many future classes (chem 2, ochem 1+2, biochem and precal+calc). If you don't know the basics, it will be very difficult to earn As while attempting to catch up.

It's okay. Lots of people majorly mess up their freshman year, and as long as you get it together and start making great grades (along with ECs, volunteering, etc), you will have a decent shot at med school. Just make sure you've figured out WHY you earned those grades and are on track to fixing the problem. Talk to your professors, maybe get a tutor. Good luck!