A little Concerned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Changedude21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have pretty competitive stats. 3.72 science gpa/3.79 overall gpa, 23AA/24TS/21PAT. and like 100 hours shadowing, some volunteering, etc. HOWEVER, I am worried about my semester hours. The semester hours I have taken since entering college are 15, 14, 10, 10, 14, 12. Plus two summers sessions of 7 and 6 hours. The semesters of 10, I designated 2 classes as pass/fail so each semester really had 13 hours. However, AADSAS only lists 10 hours for those semesters on their gpa verification page.

My question is basically will these semester hours hurt me much? Do dental schools also receive transcripts or do they just see what we see on the gpa verification page and coursework page? Should I write about these semester hours (like reasons why I didnt take more, etc.) on supplemental essays? I'm just worried because I feel like dental schools would want someone taking 15 to 16 hours a semester. fyi, I came into college with a good amount of credits. Any advice would help! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have pretty competitive stats. 3.72 science gpa/3.79 overall gpa, 23AA/24TS/21PAT. and like 100 hours shadowing, some volunteering, etc. HOWEVER, I am worried about my semester hours. The semester hours I have taken since entering college are 15, 14, 10, 10, 14, 12. Plus two summers sessions of 7 and 6 hours. The semesters of 10, I designated 2 classes as pass/fail so each semester really had 13 hours. However, AADSAS only lists 10 hours for those semesters on their gpa verification page.

My question is basically will these semester hours hurt me much? Do dental schools also receive transcripts or do they just see what we see on the gpa verification page and coursework page? Should I write about these semester hours (like reasons why I didnt take more, etc.) on supplemental essays? I'm just worried because I feel like dental schools would want someone taking 15 to 16 hours a semester. fyi, I came into college with a good amount of credits. Any advice would help! thanks!

I don't think it would hurt you THAT much. Dental schools never see your transcript, they just see the info from AADSAS. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not like you took 8 hours each semester all 3 years. You took plenty of hours the other semesters to show that you could handle it as well as summer hours.

My advice? You have a great GPA and a great DAT score to show that you are more then smart and capable. Calm down, you're going to get into multiple dental schools :thumbup:

I don't think it would hurt you THAT much. Dental schools never see your transcript, they just see the info from AADSAS. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not like you took 8 hours each semester all 3 years. You took plenty of hours the other semesters to show that you could handle it as well as summer hours.

My advice? You have a great GPA and a great DAT score to show that you are more then smart and capable. Calm down, you're going to get into multiple dental schools :thumbup:

Thanks for the help! Yea I didn't think it would be a huge deal, but it is probably one of the biggest flaws on my application. So I probably shouldn't draw any attention to these hours on supplemental essays (the ones that ask to describe your academic performance) or interviews right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help! Yea I didn't think it would be a huge deal, but it is probably one of the biggest flaws on my application. So I probably shouldn't draw any attention to these hours on supplemental essays (the ones that ask to describe your academic performance) or interviews right?

If that's you're biggest flaw than I'd say you're golden!

For the record, the school can see a course load relative to GPA graph. So although they aren't pouring over the tiny print of a transcript, there's a pretty picture that sums it up for them. Your stats are great and this means nothing to you and course load is different for each individual. Just putting it out there for future readers of the thread.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but just a quick question here. For the schools that do not ask for transcripts, how would they know whether or not we actually fulfilled certain prereqs through AP courses if all the AP credits on the Coursework page are grouped under one entry? It would seem as though they have no real way of knowing which specific AP courses we took without actually seeing our transcripts.

I believe it will not hurt you at all for the majority of dental schools :) I have 6 Ws on my transcript (I maxed them out). The majority of my semesters were under 12 credits (either because I enrolled classes that way or mostly because I dropped classes for a W), with an exception of 2 semesters that were full-time (13 and 18). I received 2 interviews so far (I thank God). Your stats are amazing... I believe you will get interviews and acceptances. :thumbup:

i think you are worrying too much just like any other people who applied. I think your stats are amazing. Oh by the way, I saw a thread in pre-med section and they were saying only about 10% of premed know about SDN, and most people on SDN are likely to be overacheivers ( or the opposite). Dont let all these 3.8 gpa and 23 dat intimidate you. oh wait, you are one of them. I wanna call you a TROLLLLLLLLL, but i think you are genuinly worried

Thanks everyone for the help! Yea I understand I was worrying too much...I guess SDN is bad for confidence when you see others with better stats/applications. Good luck with interviews and acceptances!

I hear that anyone can get 4.0 if they are only taking 12 credits. I would be a little worried about the light course load, because it will be much more difficult in dental school.

Have you been working full time? Is there anything that made your classes a challenge?

You have great stats other than the unchalleging load.

I hear that anyone can get 4.0 if they are only taking 12 credits.

If someone was taking Biochemistry, Physics 2, Genetics, and Molecular Biology in one semester (12 hours) and makes a 4.0, I'd say that person was pretty damn smart. Not everyone can pull off a straight 4.0 with classes like that.

. I would be a little worried about the light course load, because it will be much more difficult in dental school.

23AA/24TS/21PAT. I'm pretty sure the guy can tackle any challenge in dental school and beyond. He's clearly has his head on straight if he can make that score and do well in college.

I hear that anyone can get 4.0 if they are only taking 12 credits. I would be a little worried about the light course load, because it will be much more difficult in dental school.

Have you been working full time? Is there anything that made your classes a challenge?

Not if you're stupid you can't :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I actually made my highest grades in the semesters of 14, 14, 15 hours. My lowest grades were in the 13, 13, 12 hour semesters. I took less hours these semesters on purpose, because I was working part time, doing research, vice president and service chair of my fraternity, etc. I'm not worried about course load in dental school because my work ethic gets better with more work. During the semesters with less hours, I probably was lazier without as much school work, leading to me getting involved with other extracurriculars and worse grades. I was only worried about the GETTING INTO dental school part, but I have no doubt that I can work 16 or 17 hours a day while in dental school doing something I like and will determine my future.

Hey, I am just sharing what I have heard so you know what kinds of questions you could be up against.