A little inspiration in the face of decreased funding for scientist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemMed

Curiosity is Fun!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
A nice fluffy pep-talk for the high school students and undergrads. It doesn't address any of the serious, longstanding problems with actually being a young scientist that we're facing.

I was going to say "pile of lies," but same idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
i watched this a while ago. i thought it was alright, but it didn't give me any sort of push. he says be varied in your experiences and to go into underpopulated fields of science, and the only thing i could think of was "if no one is doing work there its probably not being funded".

I don't think it was meant to address the problems that scientists are currently facing, quite frankly a 20 minute talk would be joke to try and touch that subject. I looked at it as a small reminder that there is need even with all the BS out there.

When you feel like crap because your grant just got cut and things are down you have to get motivated. Motivation can come from the very basic reason why you started to do research in the first place and for some people that does bring them back to their high school days....when science was actually something they enjoyed and not a pile of bureaucratic paperwork and funding cuts that you see today.

A nice fluffy pep-talk for the high school students and undergrads. It doesn't address any of the serious, longstanding problems with actually being a young scientist that we're facing.