Best steps to take now to become a physician scientist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexxxxx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my 1st year of medical school at a mid-tier USMD, and I am wanting to become a physician-scientist doing research in dementia/similar aging-related processes of the brain. Long story short, I realized I wanted to do this too late and did not apply to MD/PhD programs and can't transfer into my own school's MD/PhD program. I did some basic science research in undergrad, and in my gap year I was full-time in another basic science lab doing research on Alzheimer's Disease which is when I realized that I want to do this as part of my career. I have looked at "research-track" neurology residencies, which for the most part only give ~6 months or so of protected research time during the 4 years, save for a few that are very competitive and I cannot bank on getting into (i.e. Stanford). Fellowships in geriatric neurology, behavioral neurology, etc. seem to have more flexibility with this, though, and more protected research time/opportunities to take additional years for research, so as far as after graduating medical school, it would seem that getting into a residency that allows research time at an institution with a lot of resources and the same for fellowship would be best for me. I am also doing research currently in a basic science lab studying demyelinating diseases, because I am interested in it and also I think it will make my application look more compelling at research track residencies/fellowships. I also have 1 publication from my gap year lab. Does anyone have any recommendations for additional things I can do to improve my odds down the line, or corrections to things that I have already stated to better my understanding? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

As general principles, being a physician-scientist and basic science research is overall hard. It often requires heavy prior experience and training, and also heavy mentor and division support once you are a faculty.

For you, I am not sure if I know any perfect solution. But would you be able to take an extra year for research in your medical school? Doing research in residency will be difficult, but you will have some opportunities in fellowship (i.e. extra 1-2 years on T32)

As general principles, being a physician-scientist and basic science research is overall hard. It often requires heavy prior experience and training, and also heavy mentor and division support once you are a faculty.

For you, I am not sure if I know any perfect solution. But would you be able to take an extra year for research in your medical school? Doing research in residency will be difficult, but you will have some opportunities in fellowship (i.e. extra 1-2 years on T32)
I could definitely apply for something like the NIH MSRP during 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year. I suspect that may also better my odds of getting into a research heavy residency program that could set me up for a good fellowship as well, so I will add that to my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find programs with R38s, T32s, PSTPs. Find a strong mentor and apply for a F30 or career develop foundation grant.

You need a lot more dedicated time in research. Those are the mechanisms to do it.

You can also get a PhD after completing your MD, though that’s less common.

Reactions: 2 users