Letters to a Young Physician-Scientist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSTP_experiences

Reaction score
I am starting this thread in an attempt to help young MD/PhD trainees, PSTP applicants, or PSTP trainees.

My goal is to impart some key principles, perspectives, and concepts that I learned along the way. Much of this advice originally came from other physician-scientists. I wish that many of these concepts had been conveyed to me earlier in my training.

I am a successful physician-scientist with an active clinical program, multiple R01s, and a track record of training PhD students and postdocs. My lab is thriving.

I’m a graduate of a very large and prestigious internal medicine PSTP at an institution with one of the largest MSTPs, and I am grateful for the training I received at that institution. However, based on what I know now, I would never recommend that institution to anyone else. I do not regret my training experience, but I do regret that I did not learn how to navigate institutional politics and priorities at a high level as a junior faculty member. I also regret that I initially chose a junior faculty job working for people who did not have the courage to do the right thing when they had the opportunity. It has been an adventure, and not without extremely rough times, most of which were at the junior faculty stage. This is why I am hoping to share insights with younger trainees so that you can make good decisions when choosing your training programs and first faculty jobs.

Your mentor and your boss are the most important factors in your training and career, and your consideration of local environment should outweigh institutional track record, institutional prestige, or even institutional scientific environment.

Things I have learned along the way:
  1. Mentors matter most. I learned the most from my mentors, who were great. The mentor is more important than the program or the institution where you train. It’s good to go to a strong academic program, but the most important thing is great mentorship.
  2. Institutions don’t love you back. Don’t prioritize the institution over your own well-being. A program might even treat you great until you graduate. After you graduate, no matter where you go, you will get to learn all about university politics! Some of the people—including leaders—might even start to treat you badly even though you are successful and doing everything you can to support the institution. There are lots of various issues at play, including politics / competition. Some leaders will even feel threatened by your success.
  3. Don’t be afraid to leave the place where you trained. Take your time looking around. Moving can be energizing. If you are working under bad leadership, then leave. People who aren’t willing to move often end up in a rut.
  4. Once you finish your PSTP training, the most important considerations are your: (1) Division Chief, and (2) Department Chair. Are they truly committed to physician-scientists? Are they members of ASCI? Are they the kind of people who do the right thing? Do they value achievements? Do they prefer to support their personal friends at all costs, even when it's the wrong thing to do? Remember to look at their achievements AND their actions—not just at their words. You might have to ask around nationally to understand your local environment.
  5. A people hire A people. B people hire C people. Once you finish PSTP training, you need to choose your institution largely based on your future boss, and whether you truly have the support of the people to whom you report. Do those leaders want to improve the environment? Are they just talking or do they act? Are they leading with a growth mentality? Or are they defensive? Do they want to hear your feedback? When you give feedback, do they act positively in response to it?
  6. No matter how egregious a situation might seem, you should not expect leaders to do the right thing. You should speak up, but only ask a leader for help once. If they don’t respond properly and promptly, especially to harassment concerns, then you need to leave. Don't keep asking. It won't help. You already know where that leader stands. Either ask someone else for help or leave. At dysfunctional institutions, retaliation does happen. HR offices sometimes protect the institution even at the expense of good people who are trying to do the right thing. At some institutions, HR will do the wrong thing because they think it will protect the institution. So you need to be careful when you choose who to trust.
  7. Whether you are choosing an environment for MD/PhD training, for PSTP training, or for your first faculty job, be sure to prioritize the following:
  • The PSTP track record is not the most important thing. The mentor is more important. Choose mentors carefully. Look for capability, productivity, and character. I was lucky to have had great mentors all along the way.
  • Reach out to recent graduates and especially to former trainees—no matter what stage of training. Don't overly rely on one person's opinion including mine. Ask many current and former people what is the reaction when they raise a concern or problem. Avoid working for people who engage in gossip, and also watch what leaders do—not just what they say. Choose to work for people based on their actions, achievements, integrity, and character. Gather as much info from unbiased sources who can speak freely. As an example, I worked for some leaders who never gossiped about others, and then there were leadership changes followed by constant gossip and toxicity. I recommend choosing to work for leaders who focus on achievements, and to avoid leaders who engage in gossip.
  • Carefully identify institutional priorities based on facts and actions. If fully NIH-funded, successful physician-scientists are being mistreated and pressured to generate clinical revenue, then go somewhere else. Don't even think twice on this.
  • Hire a lawyer to go over your contract before signing. Do not sign with institutions that pressure you to sign a non-compete. If their priority is to make the institution a desirable place to work, they will not try to trap a physician or a physician-scientist with a non-compete.
  • Find out what is a nationally competitive salary.
  • Find out what is an institutionally competitive salary. Example: I have worked at an institution where senior NIH-funded physician-scientists with many grants were earning $110-30K, while grantless investigators of the very same specialty with few publications were being offered $170-190K to come in do exactly the same job that a more senior investigator was already doing—even though the senior investigator had a lot of NIH funding, and even though the junior investigator had little to nothing in terms of funding or papers. Inequitable treatment of two people with the same job and same specialty should be a major red flag. You can read more about equitable / equal pay for equal work on government web sites. So make sure to carefully investigate what an institution claims their policy to be, and also what their actual policy is—and whether they follow it. At some institutions, salaries are completely negotiable and vary wildly even for two people with the same specialty, the same training, doing the very same job. My impression, based on limited information, is that state institutions and institutions on the coast are more likely to abide by equal pay for equal work. Based on what I have observed, certain institution(s), perhaps in the middle of the country, might not always abide by equitable / equal pay for equal work.
Before taking a faculty job, I could have spared myself years of stress by doing more research on leaders and on how junior faculty are treated at different institutions. Some work environments prioritize equity and fairness more than others. Don't sacrifice yourself for prestige. More than institutional reputation, remember that departments, divisions, and their leaders also have reputations. You can learn a lot about leaders by gathering info nationally, and not just info from people at the institution where you aim to work.

To end on a positive note: There are many great places to work. After some difficult times, I landed at a great institution where I have been extremely happy and supported. I feel lucky. Having a lot of papers and grants made it easier for me to land somewhere good, so please remember that your productivity can be a golden ticket to move when needed. Institutions and leaders evolve over time. When searching for your own best fit, always be prepared to leave if your workplace becomes intolerable. Write. Write a lot. Papers and grants. Remember that words per minute x time spent writing = number of words on the page. And don't be a snob about the institution's name or perceived prestige. Many people will tell you that every institution has problems. This is true. But you should also remember that not every workplace has the same problems. There is a national shortage of physician-scientists, and you can choose to work at an institution without the kind of problems would derail your career. Moving to another university, or at least being willing to move when necessary, is an important part of succeeding in academia.

You're a physician-scientist, and you're in great demand. You must remember that working very hard is absolutely required, but not sufficient. You also need to do whatever it takes to find the mentor, boss, and/or institution that will truly appreciate you and help you thrive.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
No, it's not about the institution dude. This is literally EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME...

Every conversation with some NIH grantee keywords is HR complaint, retaliation, low and inequity in salary. Boss lying and unsupportive.

Hopefully you landed in a good spot for now and it doesn't sour on you later. My personal opinion is that NOBODY will "truly appreciate" you. So quit trying to find it and just become wealthy and independent ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone's situation is unique.

This is all good advice assuming you have options.

Physician-scientists in my specialty are not in great demand.

I have two R01 equivalents and nowhere else within academics to go.

Sometimes you have to make the best of your situation.

Reactions: 5 users
No, it's not about the institution dude. This is literally EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME...

Every conversation with some NIH grantee keywords is HR complaint, retaliation, low and inequity in salary. Boss lying and unsupportive.

Hopefully you landed in a good spot for now and it doesn't sour on you later. My personal opinion is that NOBODY will "truly appreciate" you. So quit trying to find it and just become wealthy and independent ASAP.

I agree in general with this approach, but the main challenge that I see is constantly pushing back research. For MD/PhDs who want to do mostly research for most of their lives, you finish fellowship/instructor and hope that you finally have at least some time to do research. But you have to make money doing clinical work and then other things to become wealthy. The "clinical and other things" category exists in academia too, but you may have to push that harder to become wealthy. But I can see how your strategy is a good thing for MD/PhDs who are not that interested in research and envision more of a 50/50 to majority clinical split.

Also, once even slightly outside academia (or a research community in general), the pressure from other researchers and the discomfort they cause seems to decline dramatically. There is no longer that constant but manageable anxiety that you are not good enough. I think this comfort is a bad thing because you no longer have the extra push to constantly improve in research.

I notice that MD/PhDs who go into private practice or start their own practice to make money tend to produce low quality research ~5 years down the line, even if they mean to get the best of both worlds (research, clinical). There are of course exceptions, but most seem to get sucked into the clinical work and end up focusing on their practice rather than their research.

I agree in general with this approach, but the main challenge that I see is constantly pushing back research.
I notice that MD/PhDs who go into private practice or start their own practice to make money tend to produce low quality research ~5 years down the line, even if they mean to get the best of both worlds (research, clinical). There are of course exceptions, but most seem to get sucked into the clinical work and end up focusing on their practice rather than their research.
The problem isn’t that people who go into practice end up doing worse research (which they would expected to do so). It’s that people who don’t go into practice end up making no money and burn out. Many of them still can’t make it even after a few irreversible tragic outcomes. A small minority of those who give up practice end up “successful” as researchers and even then the income is often very underwhelming. It’s questionable whether their “giving up” of clinical was necessary or sufficient in their research career.

Last edited:
There’s a lot of luck if the end game is a research career. A lot of luck. Again the only thing I’ve found that “helps” is persistence. That’s it.

In the end, you have to do it because you want to and realizing, at least personally, that clinically medicine can mostly be done by well trained monkeys, hence the APP creep, research is the avenue full of what curiosity is left in medicine.

I once had a “mentor” tell me… “SurfingDoc… the only person invested in your career is you”. Honestly, I thought it was harsh as a trainee at the time… but it’s been the most honest and truthful piece of advice I’ve ever received.

Reactions: 4 users
I once had a “mentor” tell me… “SurfingDoc… the only person invested in your career is you”. I thought it was harsh as a trainee at the time… but it’s been the most honest and truthful piece of advice I’ve ever received.
Omg .. I said something similar to a trainee once. I thought I was just stating the obvious but she looked at me like I had just stabbed her puppy. 😬

• Care
Reactions: 1 user