A LOT of W's..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zanaida10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had to have 3 semesters dropped for medical purposes. My school accepted it, the whole thing is on record...But is it pretty much impossible to get a chance at any medical school for me? What about the Caribbeans?

Members don't see this ad.

I have 7 W's so yeah I'm in the same boat as you. Unles its consistent it shouldn't hurt you. A W jsut means that you dropped a class after the regristation deadline, and in most cases I don't ADD until after that point.

That sucks, I feel your pain. But I have THREE SEMESTERS...dropped...retroactive medical withdrawals from entire semesters...really depressed about it and I think my chances for medical school are gone. But I don't want to give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
453px-George-W-Bush.jpeg

That sucks, I feel your pain. But I have THREE SEMESTERS...dropped...retroactive medical withdrawals from entire semesters...really depressed about it and I think my chances for medical school are gone. But I don't want to give up.

I'm not ADCOM or anything, but I would imagine this is something you ought to be able to explain, at least in part, in your personal statement. Dropping courses due to medical issues, which are outside of your control, should not ruin your chances of getting into med school.

If you have a half decent application, you should be able to get some interviews at which you can fully the circumstances surrounding the withdrawals. People with unique situations, like yours, benefit from the fact that many schools look at applicants holistically.

I assume (and I may be wrong) that applications are not just put into a machine that scans for W's and automatically trashes those apps. :rolleyes:

I would have to agree with phillykid. I wouldn't think that withdrawing for medical purposes should hurt your chances at all; that seems to me to be the most legitimate reason for withdrawal you could have.

thanks guys, i always get really low at the end of a semester when i don't make straight a's and the 3 semesters of drops depress me further. i appreciate it!