specialties with a lot of molecular biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacrossegirl420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
incoming M1, really enjoyed molbio in college and would appreciate thoughts on specialties where this is a major (direct) part of the specialty. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

None?
Unless you want to do research on a molec bio topic.
Maybe plays a tangential role in critical care or anesthesiology (acid/base, respiratory physiology), pediatric genetics (where you're testing for specific genetic mutations and working with genetic counselors), ID (antibiotic MOA and resistance patterns).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Heme/Onc?
Good thought, but it doesn't seem to play a role in what I've seen so far. Although MDs prescribe molecular-based therapy, they don't actually think about the mechanisms when it comes to clinical practice (although they may quiz med students on them haha)

Hence the question in your medical school admission interviews, if you really love molecular biology, have you thought of instead doing a PHD and biomedical research, rather than being a doctor ?

Pathology I think

There's a lot of molecular biology in neurosurgery (mostly for gliomas, increasingly for meningiomas) although I wouldn't say it plays a major role.

Reactions: 3 users
immunology/rheumatology - there are research heavy fellowships

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for the thoughts everyone! any idea where radiology would fall on this spectrum? in addition to molbio, i also loved biochemistry / chemistry (basically the mechanismy-stuff)

@LaughingGas10 : actually got asked that haha! but had a genuine / solid answer

thanks for the thoughts everyone! any idea where radiology would fall on this spectrum? in addition to molbio, i also loved biochemistry / chemistry (basically the mechanismy-stuff)

@LaughingGas10 : actually got asked that haha! but had a genuine / solid answer
It would be completely outside the spectrum. It's focused on interpreting pictures and doing procedures.
Unless you do research on newer types of functional imaging.
Within almost any field (except maybe primary care), if you want to do research, you could focus on molecular research (with a bench lab or with computational biology etc).

If you loved mechanisms (you mean as opposed to the memorizy-stuff like biology and the logical stuff like math?), you might like fields with lots of physiology.