A Means to an End

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that getting to Dental School requires us to take jobs we really hate. I for one worked at a psychiatric hospital. The people there were nuts, and I am not just referring to the patients. It allowed me to get to where I am today and I am glad to be leaving it behind for greener pastures in dentistry.

Anybody else have stories on the sacrifices they have made to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I've been working full time as a janitor while my wife is in school. I clean up after middleschool kids that are pretty much senseless, plus, just yesterday, I had to clean up after a stray cat that got loose in the school. Needless to say, I'm ready to move on when school starts this next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I share the same work-life as aggie-master, I am also a software developer.

I am putting this behind (quitting last week of august) to go full time and finish up my pre-reqs so I can start applying for 2009 cycle.

My job is not bad at all, as matter of fact, some of my friends are willing to do anything to switch positions with me.... However, sitting down for 8 to 10 hrs a day infront of a computer screen and having BAIRLY any human one-on-one interactions hit me hard and had me thinking about a carrier switch.... Im only 25 years of age and dentistry seems to be my new passion

Oh I've wanted this thread to come up for venting purposes for quite some time. I've yet to get accepted to a Dschool yet, let alone applied, but currently I work as a patient care technician in cardiology at a Harvard teaching hospital. It can be thoroughly interesting concerning various procedures, patient interaction, shadowing opportunities and certain anomalies, but I learned the job in a matter of weeks causing it to become somewhat tedious. Low man on the totem pole gets old rather quickly as I do not wish to spend the rest of my life wiping butts.

The opportunities it will afford me however will make it all worth it!

As you can tell I'm still wavering between the pre med/pre dent purgatory. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT I'M GOING TO DO WITH THE REST OF MY LIFE. IS THAT SO WRONG!?!?

I had to sell Kirby vacuum cleaners ($1600) with my Masters degree in Biology (neuroimmunology), pour salt on people's carpets, tell them about dustmites and show them the filter that contained them after vacuuming their matress (mostly fiber...some dustmites probably but kirby thinks they are pulling one over on the consumer.) I never sold one...and that means I made $0 working for them, but that was only in the meantime, to get to the position I have held for over 2 years now. I'm currently working in translational research (bench to bedside approach) in the Dept. of Medicine at a cancer hospital here and I LOVE IT!!!! I hope to carry this experience to dentistry some day. Clinical research is REALLY interesting...sometimes on par with runner's high ! :love: