A naive question about away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I have plenty of time to sort this out, but I'm thinking that I might like to do some rotations or maybe even a sub-i on the west coast (I'm thinking I'd like a residency there). So my question is, what are your living arrangements in such a situation? Are there places you can live for only a month or so? Do you live in a Travelodge or beg a med student/resident there to take you in? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

The doctors that I am friends with practice in a rural area. The rotations that the students do with them are generally over the summer and for a Rural-Underserved Opportunity Program. These guys rent an apartment for the students that come do rotations for them. Pretty nice of them :)

When I did my away rotations I was fortunate enough to be able to trade apartments with a medical student there. I stayed at her place for a month and she stayed at mine. It worked out quite well. I think you usually have to arrange your own accomodation for most rotations. I've never heard of any schools that provide it for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I did a considerable amount of my 4th year away I feel qualified to answer.

Some schools DO have housing available (but they require you to pay for it): anything at the Texas Medical Center and UCSF-Fresno are two that come to mind. Others may provide you with local students or others in the community who will rent you a room. This is what I did at most of my rotations. Particularly in college towns, there are lots of elderly people who may or may not have some affiliation with the university (ie, retired professors) who rent rooms to visiting students. The rooms are furnished and you usually have some kitchen access.

When you inquire about doing a rotation ask if the program has information on available rentals in the area. If they do not provide that, check the classifieds for rooms to rent, although this is probably somewhat more risky than something the university provides and has obstentsibly had students use before (whether on or off campus). During 4th year lots of students do visiting rotations, especially during the fall, so you may also be able to find students who are willing to rent out their room or apartment for the month while they are gone.

Best of luck!

Naive questions are the best!

hey KCOM 2005,

The Springs is one of my favourite areas...I have a bunch of friends there. I'm involved in the US Figure Skating Association and the Springs is their home, as well as the USOC.

email me if that's something you were also involved in.

[email protected] :D

Electra,
I went to Colorado College, graduated 2 yrs. ago. I can't say I had any involvement in the organizations you mentioned. It is going to be hard to leave Colorado, I've been here basically my whole life. I'll miss the climate and the mountains. Oh well, the'll always be here for me when I need to return from my adventure. :D