USMLE A new method for step 1 . Pholston what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hammerhead 494

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
We all are going to forget the material we memorized and studied eventually and start mixing things .
So why not instead of studying the Kaplan series and pathoma for patho of course
then first aid, Q banks
of course system wise,
why not using first aid general principles, first aid organ systems then first aid usmle step 1 together respectively handling each system and after finishing each organ system studying First aid cases and first aid Q&A for that system and solving Question banks
** Definitely with studying Pathoma for the pathology material on each system .
in this way instead of studying information in the Kaplan series I'll forget anyway before reaching the exam
I'll focus on three Books
I did the numbers and this way is much faster and will enable you to revise first aid 2016 not less than seven times before going to the exam
Have anyone tried this way,
not literally but used first aid general principles and Organ systems instead of the Kaplans
then used first aid usmle step 1??
Thanks in advance .

Members don't see this ad.

I am not Phloston, but I feel like there are two general parts of prep for this exam: getting the correct content in your head and then testing your application of the material on a question bank.

Whatever material you choose to get the content in your head is your choice. For testing the application of the material, you can do a question bank like UWorld. How many times you want to do it and if you want to do other question banks is your call, look through previous threads to see the debates about it and come to a conclusion.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not Phloston, but I feel like there are two general parts of prep for this exam: getting the correct content in your head and then testing your application of the material on a question bank.

Whatever material you choose to get the content in your head is your choice. For testing the application of the material, you can do a question bank like UWorld. How many times you want to do it and if you want to do other question banks is your call, look through previous threads to see the debates about it and come to a conclusion.

Thank you Worldbeat
for your participation :)
What do you think about
the main purpose of this question which is Kaplans Vs organ systems, General principles ?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the premise of this question is nonsensical because the vast majority of people, and especially high scorers, do not use either kaplan or the organ systems/general principles books. it is not necessary to revise multiple books into first aid. frequently people ask about complicated schemes to distill multiple texts into their raw USMLE essence, which is not how the test works. the hurdle for most people (and judging by your english, will be no different for you) is rapidly reading and understanding what the question is asking, and selecting the right answer using a base of knowlege and test-taking skills.

focus on uworld, pathoma, first aid. do as many questions as possible, and if raw memorization is a problem, use anki.

I will echo that any number of preparatory methods can get one a good step score. If you choose to use the Basic Sciences and Organ Systems books, only do that in MS1. In MS2 you need to devote your time almost exclusively to questions, the main FA text, and a select few adjunct resources, such as BRS Path and Microcards.

People tend to rave about Pathoma but I think it's a trap to be honest if you fail to complete the big three QBanks. You can pick up the vast vast majority of the important path through questions and their explanations. If you want a concise text then BRS Path is gold and pithy.

I will echo that any number of preparatory methods can get one a good step score. If you choose to use the Basic Sciences and Organ Systems books, only do that in MS1. In MS2 you need to devote your time almost exclusively to questions, the main FA text, and a select few adjunct resources, such as BRS Path and Microcards.

People tend to rave about Pathoma but I think it's a trap to be honest if you fail to complete the big three QBanks. You can pick up the vast vast majority of the important path through questions and their explanations. If you want a concise text then BRS Path is gold and pithy.

You are a legend amongst these forums- ever thought about moving to reddit?