a new school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone hear any more about that florida school about to open up? how hard will it be to get accepted there?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone hear any more about that florida school about to open up? how hard will it be to get accepted there?

probably another branch of Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine...

I can see it now LECOM-South Beach. nevermind that Lake Erie is very far away...some DO schools are geographically challenged.

probably another branch of Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine...

I can see it now LECOM-South Beach. nevermind that Lake Erie is very far away...some DO schools are geographically challenged.

nah its an allopathic school.

not to say that lecom is not doing it again, which they very well could be. but in this instance, im sure its an allopathic, and i thought it had some ties with florida state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think UCF (University of Central Florida), outside Orlando, approved a plan for a new medical school about a year or two ago. I don't think it'll be in place for a few years yet.

From wikipedia:

College of Medicine

Dean: Deborah C. German

On October 25, 2006, UCF campus officials announced Dr. Deborah German as the founding dean of the College of Medicine. She is set to begin work on January 1, 2007.

On March 23, 2006, the Florida Board of Governors voted 15-1 in support of UCF's proposal to build a medical college.

The medical college will constitute a new UCF medical campus that is being constructed at Lake Nona, located on the eastern edge of Orlando near the Orlando International Airport. Upon completion, the base of this medical college will include a 113,000-square-foot building for the Burnett College of Biomedical Sciences, a 130,000-square-foot medical college instructional building and a 60,000-square-foot library.

In October 2005, a local Orlando investment company, the Tavistock Group, donated $12.5 million and 50 acres of land to UCF to help establish the UCF Medical School at Lake Nona, and issued a challenge to the Orlando community to help the university raise an additional $12.5 million to boost the total amount of raised funds to $25 million. This $25 million would be eligible for a matching state grant, thus giving UCF the needed $50 million needed to create the medical college. As of March 23, 2006, UCF had received $100.3 million in donations, state-matching funds, and land value for the medical college's establishment.

Its four-year curriculum is anticipated to begin clinical education in Fall 2009 and the college is expected to produce about 120 medical graduates a year, starting with 40-60 students in the first class and increasing in subsequent years. [7]

I think the OP is talking about FIU? If so, how far along are they...haven't heard bout them in a good bit.

I think the OP is talking about FIU? If so, how far along are they...haven't heard bout them in a good bit.

Exactamondo...its slated to open in 2008. I have a friend who graduated from there undergrad and is planning to apply to the med school once it opens.

Exactamondo...its slated to open in 2008. I have a friend who graduated from there undergrad and is planning to apply to the med school once it opens.

do u think they will be really selective??

I have heard that UCF was thinking about it too. Don't know the timetable though.

I think the OP is talking about FIU?.

Do you mean FAU? University of Miami has a FAU campus in Boca Raton. I beleive that this is the new medical school most people are referring to. While a part of Miami now, it is likely going to become an independent medical school sometime soon.

From what I heard is that both UCF and FIU were going to open medical schools in 2008. I have not heard much since then. I am pretty sure that both schools got approval and are going ahead with it. PLease correct me if I am wrong.

It is FIU. check this out:

http://health.fiu.edu/releases/medical_shortage.htm

Also, it sounds like its not going to be to easy for OOSers. This school is going to be a public FL school and they consistently mention in the article that want to recruit floridians.

Also, from what I understand, FIU Med is going to be big on applicants who speak fluent Spanish. So that's another schol to cross off my list... :/

To those who are not from Florida:

FAU is Florida Atlantic University, in Boca Raton.
FIU is Florida International University, in Miami.
UCF is University of Central Florida, in Orlando.

If you consider FSU's (Florida State, in Tallahassee) medical school, that's 4 new allopathic medical schools that have sprung up in Florida in a span of less than 10 years. College students in Florida often complain about the old people here, but look what it did for us!

Anyway, the first three schools have been approved by the Florida legislature to open medical schools. FAU's program is 32 students, just got funding to expand to 64 (don't know when, though), and the teaching hospital they're going to build will be on campus by 2011. FIU hasn't really announced anything as far as I'm aware; they're still in the development stages. UCF's medical school (www.med.ucf.edu) has a long pdf online detailing how the medical school will be laid out. They're supposed to have their first classes in Fall 2009.