A Nontrad Intro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jldub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm far from an authority on this but, judging by the fact that people are saying I have a chance, I'm going to go ahead and say you have a very good chance. So long as you don't bomb the MCAT I think you'll be alright. There are TONS of people who had gotten their BS/BA years ago and then did PostBacc and started EC's then and got accepted. Pretty much what you are doing except no break in schooling.

Someone much more knowledgable will chime in I'm sure but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You should be fine. Chillax yo. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
a masters in physics ....with a great gpa...

I really think you will be okay just do well on the MCAT.

Get some volunteering done when you can.

Your GPA and research = no worries.

Does anyone think it would be at all beneficial for me to not go to grad school and instead work full time (in a possibly medical related field) and work on getting my pre-reqs done? I don't know how adcomms see a graduate degree over someone who just worked and did EC/shadowing/pre-reqs when possible.

Also, I keep seeing people say "secondaries" when mentioning pre-meds. Can anyone fill me in on what this means exactly?
I haven't heard any compelling argument that grad school is as valuable as undergraduate work + employment and ECs. Grad school, other than an SMP, is pretty pointless for trying to get into med school from everything I have heard. I would concentrate on the pre-reqs and EC's, and then apply without going to grad school first.

ETA: I missed that you were already in the Masters program. Finish the program, dropping out doesn't look good to med school admissions committees.

Secondaries are the "secondary application" that is specific to each med school you apply to. When you apply, the AMCAS application is the "primary" application that is sent to every school. If you make the cut at each individual school, that school sends you a secondary application, usually a handful of essay prompts for you to write about and requests for pictures, and of course the secondary application fee. The secondary is sent back to the school, (and LOR's are sent by AMCAS to the school upon request) and each school decides based on the primary application plus the secondary application whether to invite you for an interview.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have any comments/suggestions/ideas on my chances considering my situation before I dive into O-Chem between now and august?

This site has been a great tool in finding out as much as possible into the journey I'm about to undertake. Thanks all

Find motivation, remind yourself of it, do your best and when you walk away you'll be proud of the work you did.

Considering I am getting paid and I know of a couple MD's who started in physics first I'm going to try not to stress out too much about not having a bio or chem degree.
There's actually a small, but statistically significant, advantage to having a non-life science degree when applying to medical school. ADCOMS love diverse applicants and if you can study something completely non-related and still kill your pre-reqs at the same time, it looks even more impressive. It also goes to showing that you've examined other career choices and still desire to continue in medicine.

What's the alternative for taking the O-chems?