A nurse is my preceptor on surgery rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should be able to find someone to help you with this informally. Find a surgeon who you like working with in the OR and explain your situation, and ask if he'd be willing to have you follow him around. At this point, you need to be taking responsibility for your education because it appears your school really doesn't care, and the management outside the OR is a major part of the surgery rotation (not to mention the bulk of the shelf).


👍 I agree with this thanks. Since I can cherry pick my cases, I am figuring out who likes to teach and sticking with them.
 
Aye, during the surgery itself. But, walking in and asking why this patient is getting surgery makes you look like you haven't done the research and read the chart and I would feel like a tool. So, I try and be prepared before the surgery, so I can focus on the surgery itself.

But, when I am reading the chart and reviewing info before the case, I do not have someone to turn to for questions. Most schools I assume have the students following the patients pre-op so they know the story and are with the surgeons in the clinic to discuss upcoming cases. I have like 15 min before the case to find out what is going on.
That was the case for me, usually. But I did have time to review the case and introduce myself to the patient, often in prep and holding. I didn't explore the opportunity of going to clinic.

Reading a quick H&P pretty much summed everything up for me in addition to looking at a scan or two. The post-operative period was important and I think you need that in order to learn surgical medicine. My pre-surgical medicine happened on my call nights where I was asked to do consults and then would be able to discuss if cases should be added to service.
 
Last edited:
Not quite sure what the point of this was? You can look through post history? Congrats? No need to call the school out directly unless you are just attempting to stir things up.

People asked what school and im sure most people were wondering which school

Not trying to stir things up..I would remove the last part of my comment but you quoted it.

Regardless, your situation, as stated in the OP, is unfortunate and I hope it works out
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this normal at your school? You should talk to your clerkship director.

This is PNWU we're talking about here, this is the norm. Start off by making lots of promises during interview, get you to put down a deposit, and then do just about everything else as half assed as possible. Oh and shove propaganda down your throat as you wish you could study for your exams and learn the material you know other students at other schools are learning. I'm not surprised that the third and fourth years were and are still obviously afterthoughts. The first year is and from the second year students I hear a lot of the same complaints. Just have to survive, work hard enough to get what you want/need on the boards and remember that this is just four years and it will end.
 
All of you are seriously buying this crap?

"Probably should have posted in the DO forum, but it gets so little traffic unless there is a DO bashing thread going on."

Yeah, right. If the OP posted this garbage in the DO forum everyone would know it's a troll. Better try in the allo forum where they all believe any garbage posted about osteopathic medicine, as long as it's negative.

Enjoy feeding the troll.

I don't see how this became an allopathic/osteopathic issue. This sounds plausible, he has a high post count, and no one is reporting anything out of the ordinary about him. Why would anyone doubt it?

The only possible way to read your statement is "I have a DO and I'm tired of people ragging on it, wah wah." Nobody was, stop being so sensitive.
 
Update: My school apparently knows about it as another student also had this nurse as his preceptor, but shocker has neither done anything about it nor contacted me to discuss it. This does not surprise me in the least. Communication is EXTREMELY weak at my school. Ahh well, year and a half to go.

We return to your regularly scheduled DO bashing. Carry on.
 
Wow, I did not realize that clinical rotations were so variable. I was wondering what site for clinical rotations would prepare you more for residency?

Mayo-type school or Baylor/UTSW/Vanderbilt type school
 
Update: My school apparently knows about it as another student also had this nurse as his preceptor, but shocker has neither done anything about it nor contacted me to discuss it. This does not surprise me in the least. Communication is EXTREMELY weak at my school. Ahh well, year and a half to go.

We return to your regularly scheduled DO bashing. Carry on.

Could you whistleblow to the appropriate osteopathic accrediting agency? I would love to see what their reaction is.
 
Could you whistleblow to the appropriate osteopathic accrediting agency? I would love to see what their reaction is.

Probably take action against the school, why would anyone want to jeopardize the accreditation of their school? that's just not smart.
 
Probably take action against the school, why would anyone want to jeopardize the accreditation of their school? that's just not smart.

If they do anything, unless the school is already on probation, I bet the worst that would happen is probation or a reprimand. But, it will force the school to take some action, and this costs them money.
 
It became a MD vs DO issue because there is no way that the LCME would allow a MD school to do this. Unfortunately, COCA doesn't seem to be as strict about the quality of rotations for the schools they accredit.

Where did you read that COCA was cool with this?
 
Wow. I've had bad preceptors before, but having a nurse as your preceptor has got to be an all time low for medical students. I don't feel like this is a MD/DO issue. It certainly isn't the norm at allopathic schools by any margin, but I don't feel like this situation happens with regularity at osteopathic schools either. The person in charge of setting up your rotations is doing a bad job. Poor administrators exist everywhere. Maybe with higher frequency at osteopathic schools? Who knows.

Obviously the person in charge of your rotations is doing their job in a grossly suboptimal manner and should be relieved but what can you do? If you go over their head, you open yourself up to their wrath. You have a lot to lose right now. You could stand on principle I guess or try having student government (lol) advocate on your behalf but I really don't think it's worth it.

If I were you, I'd make the best out of a terrible situation. Hog all the mundane stuff like starting IVs, getting ABG's, etc. Know all the H&P's, assessment's, plan of all the patients you see and do reading to see what the trends in management are. Be blunt with her and say things like: "Hey...I saw that the patient is 602 has pathology Y. I've read about it but I've never actually seen it be treated. Would you mind if I see if any of patient X's team needs help?" If she's hell bent on having you do stupid **** the entire time you're with her, there's nothing really you can do I guess but try to get away from her in a polite way as often as you can. If you're at a hospital with any decent teaching staff, hopefully one of them will go out on a limb for you. My first intubations/epidurals were from randomly wandering around the floor and bumping into another attending.

Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is not an acceptable situation; your education needs are not being met. And you are paying lots of $$$ so that your education needs are met.

Go first to the clerkship director, then escalate up the chain of command if needed. Noone is going to "get you" if you follow proper protocol and report things in a professional manner. Don't pre-judge anyone either; the clerkship director may not be aware of it for all you know.
 
That sucks. I learned the MOST on my surgery rotation by following patients from the pre-op clinic visit to the surgery and inpatient stay to the post-op clinic visits. Actually performing the surgery is but a small part of the experience.
 
No matter who your preceptor is, our how much your rotation sucks, you should always try to get the most out of your rotations. There is a lot that NPs can teach you, especially those with a lot of experience. Ultimately what you learn in medical school will depend on how proactive you are.
 
at the risk of being corrected by a surgery enthusiast, and based only on my own med school experience, you will probably learn more from a nurse than a surgery attending. if there are surgery residents present, you will definitely learn more from the nurse.
Not even close. I can't believe you actually wrote that out with a straight face. The OR nurse puts on the SCDs, preps the field, charts a bunch of stuff about who/what/when is in the room, and gets more supplies as needed. Paraphrased, of course, but there's zero zip nada about determining who needs which operation and why, and how to manage them before, during and after.
 
At a certain point it's going to be time for this whole DO experiment to be ended

If they're allowed to continue their lobbying DNPs will price a lot of the mediocre DO students out of the primary care market and as long as MD schools keep standards high, MD kids will generally out-compete DOs for the more competitive residencies.

For-profit domestic DO schools have the potential to do to medicine what the fly-by-nights have done to Law.
 
If they're allowed to continue their lobbying DNPs will price a lot of the mediocre DO students out of the primary care market and as long as MD schools keep standards high, MD kids will generally out-compete DOs for the more competitive residencies.

For-profit domestic DO schools have the potential to do to medicine what the fly-by-nights have done to Law.

ok napoleon
 
If they're allowed to continue their lobbying DNPs will price a lot of the mediocre DO students out of the primary care market and as long as MD schools keep standards high, MD kids will generally out-compete DOs for the more competitive residencies.

For-profit domestic DO schools have the potential to do to medicine what the fly-by-nights have done to Law.

Lol wut?
 
Where did you read that COCA was cool with this?

The LCME has been stepping up their game recently and putting a lot of schools on probation. 5 MD schools are currently on probation, several of them because of issues with rotations, and I can guarantee nothing close to this was happening at any of them.

Either COCA is OK with this sort of thing happening, or they aren't paying attention. From what I've heard from multiple sources about the quality of rotations at MD vs DO schools, it seems to be the former.