How hard is it to match general surgery with no home program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LonelykingT

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long timer here (5 years) haha USMD student at a HBCU that doesn’t have a home surgical program . Had ideals to do a competitive surgical subspecialty but after speaking with surgeons in the field getting disheartened. Being told I’m suppose to be in the OR as a first assist as a MS2 and no opportunity to do it. Anyway surgery still has my eyes and was wondering what does it take for someone in my position? Just impress people on aways? Practice my knot tying and sutures? My school gets 2 or less matches into a cat gen surg a year so :/ looking for all the advice I can get. Haven’t taken step 1 yet and have on two pubs so far. Three in the works as I’m on a research year
 
Long timer here (5 years) haha USMD student at a HBCU that doesn’t have a home surgical program . Had ideals to do a competitive surgical subspecialty but after speaking with surgeons in the field getting disheartened. Being told I’m suppose to be in the OR as a first assist as a MS2 and no opportunity to do it. Anyway surgery still has my eyes and was wondering what does it take for someone in my position? Just impress people on aways? Practice my knot tying and sutures? My school gets 2 or less matches into a cat gen surg a year so :/ looking for all the advice I can get. Haven’t taken step 1 yet and have on two pubs so far. Three in the works as I’m on a research year

Being a 1st assist as an MS2 is not a thing and is not expected. Sounds like you have encountered some surgeons with unrealistic expectations. Most med students on their MS3 rotations are not 1st assisting either. Some people have no idea they are interested in surgery before they do their clerkship. I've had MS4s work with me who barely were allowed to suture prior to working with me and still ended up in surgical residencies.
You already are doing some research.
Do well on your surgery rotation.
Do aways as early as you can (after you have done surgery rotation and have an idea of how things work in the hospital in general) to get LORs and exposure/experience since you don't have a home program. If you have a subspecialty of interest you can try for aways in that specific field too.
Try and get a mentor who can give you good advice and suggest programs that may be a fit for you to apply to (most schools with a surgery program will have attendings who can help you out, plus the residents who recently went through the match might be helpful resources).
Pass step 1 and do well on step 2.
 
Being a 1st assist as an MS2 is not a thing and is not expected. Sounds like you have encountered some surgeons with unrealistic expectations. Most med students on their MS3 rotations are not 1st assisting either. Some people have no idea they are interested in surgery before they do their clerkship. I've had MS4s work with me who barely were allowed to suture prior to working with me and still ended up in surgical residencies.
You already are doing some research.
Do well on your surgery rotation.
Do aways as early as you can (after you have done surgery rotation and have an idea of how things work in the hospital in general) to get LORs and exposure/experience since you don't have a home program. If you have a subspecialty of interest you can try for aways in that specific field too.
Try and get a mentor who can give you good advice and suggest programs that may be a fit for you to apply to (most schools with a surgery program will have attendings who can help you out, plus the residents who recently went through the match might be helpful resources).
Pass step 1 and do well on step 2.
Thank you so much for this advice . Whew yeah I think I have some bad mentors I’m doing research with them and they have been on me saying I’m slacking I should be in the OR, and stuff like no less than 10 first author pubs if I want to apply . I’m glad to hear that’s not normal. Thank you so much!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, DO students do this all the time!
Which part? First assisting starting second year?

I’ve asked and it’s just tough no home program . We have an associated hospital and I asked a surgeon I’m close with and she said the MS3s just take priority so I would never have a chance really. I’ll just stay hopeful and practice I suppose so I can be somewhat good clinicalyear. Research is going good surgical wise big engineering project and other surgical data ish .

——

Ah 2am brain. Yeah I think I should have asked or I’ll do my research is what does it take? How can I show a program I’m worth taking over someone who had a home program, had mentors right there to teach. My school matched 2 ppl to cat gen , 1 the year before .