Coursework & Fieldwork A&P Questions for an incoming student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT121

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I will be starting an OTD program in May and was wondering about the Anatomy course that will be in my first semester. I was a TA for advanced A&P back in undergrad, but am wondering if I should brush up. Will we be covering the insertions and origins again? Will it also cover all of the rest of A&P or will it mostly be muscles, skeleton and nervous and leave out a lot of the digestive and other stuff? Has anyone else done a hybrid program?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Our program focused on regions of the body. So you learn upper limb, lower limb, thorax and back, head and neck, and pelvis/abdomen. All the structures in those areas were required during the practicals and lecture exams. Nerves and blood flow are more important here, than in undergrad. And in our program physiology came into play during kinesiology and modalities. Not really during the gross Anatomy.

Our program focused on regions of the body. So you learn upper limb, lower limb, thorax and back, head and neck, and pelvis/abdomen. All the structures in those areas were required during the practicals and lecture exams. Nerves and blood flow are more important here, than in undergrad. And in our program physiology came into play during kinesiology and modalities. Not really during the gross Anatomy.

Thanks for your response! So by nerves and blood flow you mean major veins and arteries supplying muscle groups and the nerves also serving those muscle groups as well? and CNS, PNS, plexus locations and such? also what about transmitters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response! So by nerves and blood flow you mean major veins and arteries supplying muscle groups and the nerves also serving those muscle groups as well? and CNS, PNS, plexus locations and such? also what about transmitters?
Lol... I mean everything in them period. You’re expected to know them all.

I would just wait till your course happens. You may end up studying too much and wasting your time.. or not studying the right thing at all. Physiology is not part of gross anatomy.

You would be better off researching how to study for grad school gross anatomy and start looking at techniques of succeeding.

You would be better off researching how to study for grad school gross anatomy and start looking at techniques of succeeding.
Would you be willing to share any techniques you feel made you successful during your anatomy course in OT school?

Lots of group study. We took our with PT students, so I teamed up with them a lot.

Using tracing paper to redraw structures.

Making quizlets helped a lot of people.

By far my favorite method was getting a group of people and splitting the material up. Each person writes a question on a big popsicle stick. On the day we study, one person pulls a stick. That person answers. If one person in the group doesn’t know the answer or was confused... it goes back in the cup. That way it can be pulled again for repeative learning. Also allows you to discuss why the answer is what it is.