A pity interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badgas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I called my #1 today to make sure they received everything for my application. They said "yeah, can you come for an interview on so and so date." Is this a pity interview because I am ballsy enough to call or is an interview an interview? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I called my #1 today to make sure they received everything for my application. They said "yeah, can you come for an interview on so and so date." Is this a pity interview because I am ballsy enough to call or is an interview an interview? Thanks.

I think an interview is an interview. I would think if you are willing to call up a program then they would think you are VERY interested in that respective program. Just my 2 cents.

I got over half my interviews by calling them up and asking for the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, for those interviews that you solicited, how did it work? Did you just speak with the secretary in the office or did you email/call a faculty member?

Yes, please share how you managed this. My mentor advised me to send an email, but the coordinator of my home program suggested that phone calls get her attention. Which worked for you?

it's all well and good to get an invite by calling them up, but is there someone on this forum (residents) who actually matched at a program they received an interview from this way?

An interview is an interview. As I found out last year, you really can't tell. Some programs act like they want you during the interview and then the Match tells you otherwise; other programs act like they have no intention of ranking you and then you find out you matched there.

So go to your interview and tell them you want to come. :cool:

it's all well and good to get an invite by calling them up, but is there someone on this forum (residents) who actually matched at a program they received an interview from this way?

Calling to ask for an interview is something I would not do. I called to inquire about the status of my app and she simply stated that she was slow getting to things due to the ASA conference. I'm hoping my app was on the interview pile that she just hasn't gotten to contacting yet. I think calling and asking to be interviewed may be a bit over the line.

Calling to ask for an interview is something I would not do. I called to inquire about the status of my app and she simply stated that she was slow getting to things due to the ASA conference. I'm hoping my app was on the interview pile that she just hasn't gotten to contacting yet. I think calling and asking to be interviewed may be a bit over the line.

No offense, but you're sitting on 10. For those of us with far fewer, contacting the program may be the only way to get a foot in the door. I don't think an applicant should call a program and say, "Please interview me!" There is a way to inquire about the status of your application without being intrusive or obnoxious. Frankly, I can see my app in a stack of "unlikely to interview", but my phone call or email is what makes the coordinator decide that my interest in a program is a little more than $25 and several clicks on ERAS. I think we'd be surprised at how many files are placed in the wrong pile or lost in a sea of applications on a round table in an overworked coordinator's office. And who knows which faculty reviewed your application prior to sending invites. Maybe they don't like your alma mater.

I, too, am interested in hearing from someone who matched at a program based on one of these interviews.

No offense, but you're sitting on 10. For those of us with far fewer, contacting the program may be the only way to get a foot in the door. I don't think an applicant should call a program and say, "Please interview me!" There is a way to inquire about the status of your application without being intrusive or obnoxious. Frankly, I can see my app in a stack of "unlikely to interview", but my phone call or email is what makes the coordinator decide that my interest in a program is a little more than $25 and several clicks on ERAS. I think we'd be surprised at how many files are placed in the wrong pile or lost in a sea of applications on a round table in an overworked coordinator's office. And who knows which faculty reviewed your application prior to sending invites. Maybe they don't like your alma mater.

I, too, am interested in hearing from someone who matched at a program based on one of these interviews.

I am just saying that if every student calls every program they haven't heard from to ask for an invite, you are going to have some pissed off secretaries and program directors. ASK for an invite being the key word. I don't think there is anything wrong with calling a select few programs to ask about the application status. A wise attending told me that one of the most important things in applying for residency is to get on the good side of the secretary/program coordinator. They have the ability to set your app on top of the pile or to use it as toilet paper if they get low. I think if you were caller number 500 to ask for an interview, you can assure that yours will be put in the toilet paper pile. The point is to use your calls wisely and don't be pushy.

It's been a few years, so I can't remember each and every detail, but here goes ...

Basically I'm a foreign medical graduate. When I came back to the states to apply for residencies, I had no clue on how to choose which residencies to apply to. So I basically went through US News and World Report and applied to most of the top 50 hospitals in the country -- not a great method, cuz I'm sure I left out a lot of great places and I'm also sure I applied to some dumpy places. But it seemed like the best method at the time.

Anyways, I also applied late (shortly after Thanksgiving). After getting about maybe 4 or 5 interviews, I started calling and e-mailing the programs asking for the interview. If there's one thing I've learned in life, if you don't ask for something, you won't get it. I used to be a car salesman and I knew that those customers that asked for a discount usually got one, and those that didn't were never offered a discount. True, applying to residencies is a tad different, but if I can leave you with just one of life's lessons, it's that it never hurts to ask. At the most, they're only gonna say 'no.' "In order to close the deal, you have to ask for the sale," as my manager would beat into my head.

With respect to phone calls, I would basically call up the program secretary and ask if she/he had received my application intact from ERAS. Believe it or not, there were a lot of programs that got only bits and pieces of my application. Some only got LOR's, some only got grades, some only got USMLE scores, etc. Obviously an incomplete application is gonna put you in the "hold" pile. So, I would take this opportunity to fax them a copy of my complete application and I would let them know that I loved their program and that I was very keen on interviewing with them.

Please note, always be respectful and courteous. If the secretary likes how you sound over the phone, they can facilitate your application reaching the right people.

As far as e-mails were concerned, I would directly e-mail the program director expressing keen desire to visit their program and interview with them. You can get their e-mail addresses from the FREIDA website. Usually, it was the secretary that would respond back -- either "no, we're still going through the pile" or "yes, pick one of the following dates" or "no, there were too many good applicants this year, so thanks but no thanks."

I was thus able to ratchet up the number of interviews from half a dozen to well over a dozen. In fact, I even had to cancel some of them later on.

Did I end up matching in one of the programs that I called up? It's hard to say. I did end up with my 4th choice (it's one of the top 10 hospitals in the country). But did I get the interview because I called? Or did I get the interview because I was gonna get one anyways? There is really no way of knowing. What I can say is that there were a couple of top-notch programs that actually apologized to me during my interview because they hadn't invited me earlier and that I had to make the effort to call them and ask for the interview.

And the other thing is that without the interview, there is no way any program is gonna rank you on their rank order list.

So, feel free to take this advice for what it's worth. If you were my kid brother or sister applying for residency, I would absolutely hound you to make those phone calls asking for the interview. Just remember to be polite and courteous. And the best time to do it is first thing in the morning, when people are fresher and less bogged down by the day's work.

Hope this helps.

An interview is an interview. As I found out last year, you really can't tell. Some programs act like they want you during the interview and then the Match tells you otherwise; other programs act like they have no intention of ranking you and then you find out you matched there.

So go to your interview and tell them you want to come. :cool:

I totally second this post. I can totally attest to this. In fact, I got a couple of letters from top-notch places, and I mean top-notch places, saying they were going to rank me in a "sure to match" position. So I ranked them high as well, only to find out I ended up at my 4th choice (which was by far my worst interview of any of them ... the program director actually rolled his eyes during some of my responses).

Either they act as they want you and then when you get your hopes up, they fill the spot up with someone else that is "more qualified"...it's brutal...or they ignore you and you have to make the first move. Just go in confident.

Did I end up matching in one of the programs that I called up? It's hard to say. I did end up with my 4th choice (it's one of the top 10 hospitals in the country). But did I get the interview because I called? Or did I get the interview because I was gonna get one anyways? There is really no way of knowing.

And the other thing is that without the interview, there is no way any program is gonna rank you on their rank order list.

thanks tiva, these are good points. it's hard to know how high to get one's hopes with these interviews, but at least it's a shot, like with any other interview.