A present for my doctor that I shadowed? Corny, Cheesy? ahhh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who cares...

I have shadowed this doctor for a year and last week was my last time. She is freaking awesome and has just about everything... What should I get her. I really liked the nurses too so I was thinking like a big cake and flowers but I dunno I am bad at this stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares...

I have shadowed this doctor for a year and last week was my last time. She is freaking awesome and has just about everything... What should I get her. I really liked the nurses too so I was thinking like a big cake and flowers but I dunno I am bad at this stuff.

Does she like Starbucks or a local coffee shop? I shadowed a doctor for a month (no where near a year) and just bought a decent-sized Starbucks card (you know, so he could buy more than three venti-size drinks). I don't think physicians expect anything. If you're physician has a family, a cake would be a real nice idea, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, that is your gift suggestion? K. like special K or would that be K lite?

Hey I think that is a very caring though. I would bring in some Parfaits...everybody loves parfaits!

Who cares...

The cake for the nurses is a great idea. Personally, I'd pass on the flowers, because the last thing you want to do is give the impression that . . . well, you get what I mean.

a massage therapy gift certificate, since you know first hand now how much stress she is under.
I would also get a card, something to know you thought of her.

a massage therapy gift certificate, since you know first hand now how much stress she is under.
I would also get a card, something to know you thought of her.

Ok, I got bath and body works... what woman doesn't like that? Damn that place is expensive. I got a couple home plug in scent things with a starter kit and the breathe lotion set. 40$ bucks ouch... lol, cake better be cheaper than that. Instead of the cake thought I was going to do a cookie... One of those big cookies but I don't know. Plus, how fast can they make a cake... OOPS... tommorrow... I hope quick...

But then again it is a freaking hospital and I don't really think I could get a cake big enough... I mean, it is just the Cath lab and the EP labs which is about 20+ people in all. I mean, that is a pretty big cake right? I dunno.

I yea, I got a card from Hallmark by Mya Angelou and it IMO is awesome... it says something to the effect of I know how much your time is worth but thank you for spending that time with me... yada yada... I think it is perfect. And when I send my thank you cards to ADCOMS I will probably be using the same one. :thumbup: they have some role model ones too but they were too mushy...

As well<<<< :idea: LOL, she will be getting one of my patented big envelopes with resume, letter of personal statement and request for STRONG LORRRRRR...

Christian15213 said:
What should I get her.

How about a restraining order that way she knows you won't be within 500 feet of her anytime in the foreseeable future?

How about a restraining order that way she knows you won't be within 500 feet of her anytime in the foreseeable future?

why are u here? what is ur point? your posts are worthless and no benefit. I need a restraining order from you. you're psycho!

Members don't see this ad :)
MDs don't expect gifts from pre-med students. I think the best way to play it would be a nice card thanking her and telling her how much you enjoyed the experience.

Follow that up with an "I-got-into-medical-school" card and you're golden.

why are u here? what is ur point? your posts are worthless and no benefit. I need a restraining order from you. you're psycho!

He can spell though. You have to give him that.

Sorry, I mean "uhave to giv him dat".

MDs don't expect gifts from pre-med students. I think the best way to play it would be a nice card thanking her and telling her how much you enjoyed the experience.

Follow that up with an "I-got-into-medical-school" card and you're golden.

You really think the Bed Bath and Beyond is too much. I really did appreciate her taking me on for four months and feeding me lunch each and every week for free. It didn't cost her anything but I feel like she sure didn't have to do it.

I only got a couple household things and a card...

Just a reminder:

Our membership encourages open discussion and debate as long as it relates to the topic of the thread at hand. Posts which do not relate to the original purpose or topic of the thread may be moved to a more appropriate location. : )

Thanks.

Ok, the final verdict is... She loved the gift and totaly was about writing an LOR

You really think the Bed Bath and Beyond is too much. I really did appreciate her taking me on for four months and feeding me lunch each and every week for free. It didn't cost her anything but I feel like she sure didn't have to do it.

I only got a couple household things and a card...

Nah I didn't necessarily mean it was "too much," just that doctors are not expecting monetary gifts from poor pre-med students. Anyway, hope it went well.

Did you ask her for the LOR at the same time that you gave her the gift? :)
I was thinking the same thing....I've seen similar things before on SDN: a so-so applicant with a questionable personality trying to buy off a physician in exchange for a glowing recommendation.

I was thinking the same thing....I've seen similar things before on SDN: a so-so applicant with a questionable personality trying to buy off a physician in exchange for a glowing recommendation.
I never would do tings like that.:thumbdown:

I kept it down to a crisp handwritten 'Thank You' note. You get packs of 10 for under 8 bucks at Wal-Mart. Anything more, I think, is excessive.

They know your busy, you're super poor as a pre-med, and anything that cost you more than a few bucks will make them raise their eyebrows and wonder why!

Hey Christian,

I agree that maybe you should have just written a thank you card if all you did was shadow her. But it doesnt matter now anymore.

I shadowed a doctor once and ordered a huige breakfast for him and his staff. I hear they absolutely loved it. I also gave this lady that I do research with an orchid. Of course, all this was AFTER I was accepted into med school.

You'll need to do a lot better than a gift certificate to BBB to bribe that letter out of me, DKM:laugh: