A professor spontaneously offered to write me an LOR...what type should I request?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, my professor told me she would write me a letter of recommendation. I did not bring this up to her - I had merely been asking content questions during office hours. She had some great things to say about me - that I really considered the material in a way that students in her class generally do not - my questions showed great interest in the material and a great intellectual capacity. I later brought up this offer and asked if I could email her a link. She replied "yes, I expect you to!" She seems eager to write this for me - it should be pretty decent. However...

I only had this professor for one quarter and I won't be applying to Medical Schools until spring of 2020. I don't believe this should be a Medical School LOR...I told her I could use it for an internship, research position, job or other.

I have not officially sent the interfolio request. Please let me know if you believe I should request a Medical School LOR from her in this case.

This is a Biology professor.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a professor who went out of her way to offer to write you a LOR. She clearly thinks very highly of you and would like to see you achieve your dream. Ask for a LOR for med school and politely tell her that she might need to give it a quick once over again right before you apply.

Reactions: 2 users
She can add an update to the date I think. Take this opportunity. Stay in touch with her throughout until you’re ready to apply and get as many LORs as possible

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it enough that I only worked with her for 12 weeks?

Should I give her the option - to write either a Med school LOR or a job position LOR? Let her choose whichever she'd be more comfortable writing...?

Is it enough that I only worked with her for 12 weeks?

Should I give her the option - to write either a Med school LOR or a job position LOR? Let her choose whichever she'd be more comfortable writing...?

Why not both? I did that. (Not for a job but I asked professors to write me letters for two things)

bump...I'm concerned that she hasn't known me long enough and though I asked a lot of questions, I'm not sure I got close enough with her on a personal level...Could she honestly provide me the type of letter that Med Schools are looking for?

bump...I'm concerned that she hasn't known me long enough and though I asked a lot of questions, I'm not sure I got close enough with her on a personal level...Could she honestly provide me the type of letter that Med Schools are looking for?

Dude. Yes. You are over thinking this. Only one of my professors knew me more than this professor knows you. She is offering to write you a letter, which means it will likely be very very good. That's all that matters to medical schools. Have her write one and update the date when you apply.

Someone I only knew for 45 minutes wrote me one of the best LORs I've ever gotten. Just because she only knew you for 12 weeks (really, she knew you for 3 months and you don't think she'll write you a good enough letter!?) doesn't mean she can't write you a stellar letter. She volunteered, so it's probably going to be great.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone I only knew for 45 minutes wrote me one of the best LORs I've ever gotten. Just because she only knew you for 12 weeks (really, she knew you for 3 months and you don't think she'll write you a good enough letter!?) doesn't mean she can't write you a stellar letter. She volunteered, so it's probably going to be great.
45 minutes - Congratulations! That is one hell of a meeting - clearly you make a good first impression!

And in the case that I might need one for research, a job or an internship, should I do as the previous poster commented and ask for two separate letters? Is that too inconvenient?

Last edited:
Some people struggle to get LORs and you've one pretty much offered to you. I'd take it.

And in the case that I might need one for research, a job or an internship, should I do as the previous poster commented and ask for two separate letters? Is that too inconvenient?

Then you ask. Worst that happens is she says no. Given that she wanted to write you one, she'll probably be happy to adjust the letter a little to make it more appropriate for whatever.

For those who know more about how Interfolio works, does a recommender on Interfolio have to indicate whether she's writing a work related letter, a letter for medical school or a letter for graduate school?

Otherwise, I'm a little perplexed by OP's insistence that the letter be for an internship/job and not medical school.

For those who know more about how Interfolio works, does a recommender on Interfolio have to indicate whether she's writing a work related letter, a letter for medical school or a letter for graduate school?

Otherwise, I'm a little perplexed by OP's insistence that the letter be for an internship/job and not medical school.

No, not at all. I just expect that the letter would look different in each of these circumstances.

Since they offered right it will be a strong letter. My son also got an offer from a professor from first year class (relates to his minor) and he will use it for med school (2021 class).

I sent the request through Interfolio and followed up with my own email...and three days later, she still hasn't responded. In the Interfolio request email, they are asked to either accept or decline the request...I expected a response :/

Give her some time. It’s only been three days and it’s finals and holiday season. It’s a busy time. Originally I’d say give her a couple weeks but this time of year I wouldn’t expect anything before the 2nd week of the spring semester

I sent the request through Interfolio and followed up with my own email...and three days later, she still hasn't responded. In the Interfolio request email, they are asked to either accept or decline the request...I expected a response :/

Professors are busy, especially this time of the year. Sometimes it takes a long time for them to get it in, hence why it's advisable to ask for letters months before applicants apply.

tldr. It's normal. Just be patient.

I dont expect the letter right now - just expected acknowledgement of the email or of the request.