A program schedules me for interview... then 2 days later tells me not to come.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aGoodDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my situation. I applied for a residency through ERAS in a program in Upstate NY. (The name of program left out on purpose).

The program office sent me an official email through ERAS inviting me to interview. I confirmed my wish to come over the phone - spoke to the sec & another guy handling interviews.

Here's the problem: I made the travel arrangements over the weekend and the guy sends me another email telling me now NOT to show up!!! Go figure!!!

Either the guy is a nut-job or something happened along the way that changed his mind real quick.

So my questions to fellow SND readers is what to do now? Here are my options:

1. Forget this program and let it go - including the cost of the air tickets and all.
2. Report the program, I dunno if he has violated any ERAS guidelines or anything.
3. Duke it out in small claims court for the money.
4. ........your suggestion............

Really confused and a bit upset over this.

Would appreciate any positive inputs.

Thanks and have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

This is my situation. I applied for a residency through ERAS in a program in Upstate NY. (The name of program left out on purpose).

The program office sent me an official email through ERAS inviting me to interview. I confirmed my wish to come over the phone - spoke to the sec & another guy handling interviews.

Here's the problem: I made the travel arrangements over the weekend and the guy sends me another email telling me now NOT to show up!!! Go figure!!!

Either the guy is a nut-job or something happened along the way that changed his mind real quick.

1. Forget this program and let it go - including the cost of the air tickets and all.
2. Report the program, I dunno if he has violated any ERAS guidelines or anything.

Without further information it is impossible to say whether you have legal grounds.

Even if you did, it is unclear whether pursuing this as a legal matter is worth your time. You might first try sending the program coordinator a nice letter with your receipts and details of the correspondence, and ask for reimbursement of your costs.

-AT.

Reactions: 1 user
Without further information it is impossible to say whether you have legal grounds.

Even if you did, it is unclear whether pursuing this as a legal matter is worth your time. You might first try sending the program coordinator a nice letter with your receipts and details of the correspondence, and ask for reimbursement of your costs.

-AT.

Maybe you could start with a polite phone call to the PC asking what happened and explaining the situation. If you've already done that, a polite email to the PD telling him/her about the situation. Mistakes happen.

I think lawyering up as a first step seems a little drastic.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Maybe you could start with a polite phone call to the PC asking what happened and explaining the situation. If you've already done that, a polite email to the PD telling him/her about the situation. Mistakes happen.

Even better idea.

-AT.

Hello all,

I would try to get my money back for sure. I wouldn't even ask for an interview anymore since they clearly made a mistake or something and an invitation now would just be out of obligation.

1. Send a polite email to the program director explaining how their mix-up has cost you travel money, and that you would appreciate reimbursement.

2. If they refuse, consult a lawyer as to what grounds you have for legal retribution.

3. If you have legal grounds, and you likely do, you can get your lawyer to send them a form letter politely requesting full reimbursement or legal action will be taken. If they don't reimburse, go to court.

Last edited:
1. Send a polite email to the program director explaining how their mix-up has cost you travel money, and that you would appreciate reimbursement.

2. If they refuse, consult a lawyer as to what grounds you have for legal retribution.

3. If you have legal grounds, and you likely do, you can get your lawyer to send them a form letter politely requesting full reimbursement or legal action will be taken. If they don't reimburse, go to court.

I wonder if other PDs, at other programs that you applied to, would know that you did this (i.e. consulted a lawyer). And I wonder what effect it would have on you matching, period.

What was their reason for telling you not to show up anymore?

On what basis? An interview offer isn't a contract. The program is just guilty of bad judgment.

aGoodDoc- Post what you did and what happens. A program is going to be uncomfortable paying out travel expenses for you, so they may just offer you another interview date.

They will probably pay the travel expenses. I have seen this happen before. Show them proof.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.