1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

A QUANDARY regarding deposits once you've received that first acceptance letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by roger2004, Oct 6, 1999.

1. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Here's a fairly nice problem to have if you had to quantify problems -
    You nervously go to your first interview which you never expected to get so early or maybe at all. It's a better atmosphere than you expected and the interview goes much better than expected. About a week later you have an acceptance letter in your shaking hands which again was never expected so quickly if at all. HURRAY! However, you have two more interviews coming up in about three weeks at two schools that were MUCH higher up on your "wish list" . You're given two weeks to send in a $2000 nonrefundable deposit knowing it will insure you a seat in the class of 2004 (CHEERS) if no other offers are forthcoming, You were shooting for a seat at one of the other two schools, but won't see them until a week after the deposit is due. They offer a better fit in terms of location and programs, and are a little more affordable ( I did say a little!), Do you put that $2000 down as insurance - money is a real tough problem for me, or the lack of it I should say.
    Would like to know what others have done. Please post any comments or words of wisdom.

------------------

rog

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Paul's Boutique

10+ Year Member

Bounce the check! They'll call, and then you beg and plead and cry that you were just shy of $2000 in your account! Play some phone tag!, and then come down with the Death Flu!, that puts you in bed for a week! That should give you enough time!!!

4. dlbruch

dlbruch Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Roger, Have you tried to petition for an extension on claiming you seat in that class. I imagine that many applicants run into the same dilemma. If they don't regularly grant an extension to recieve the deposit it may be worth it to just explain the situation honestly and trust that they will try to accomodate you. It really is in everybody's best interest for you to choose the school that you feel is right for you, not just the first one you get an acceptance to! Call me naive, but I think honesty is the way to go.

5. Moon

Moon Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't think the school like to wait for you make decision after having results from all the interviews. Supposed your significant other tell you that he/she loves you but you have to wait for him/her to date with a few more people then decide whom to go with, how do you feel? I don't think any school wants to be the second choice. Some interviewers even want you to say it out loud that school is your first choice.

6. mikeaparker

mikeaparker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Would you rather not put the 2k and possibly not get into anywhere OR put the 2k if you get into the other place then go there if thats what you really want!! To me an insureance of guaranteed acceptance of 2k is worth it. But I am surprised that that their down payment is so much.... what if you tell them you can't get all of the money together right now if it's true?????

I don't have any interviews yet, so think if you were in my shoes... [​IMG]

mike

7. miglo

miglo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I faced the EXACT same problem 2 weeks ago, but I opted to drop the 1k deposit to WesternU. I think of it as "insurance".

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

8. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

They're all right you know, you have to gamble the 2k. This is provided you REALLY would rather attend the other schools. Remember that money is a tool, not a best friend. Part with it. You'll make more, especially as a doc and you'll look back and wonder why you cared about the 2k. A drop in the bucket. You'll get more that that on your first paycheck. Borrow it, that's what banks and relatives are for. But make sure, damn sure, you REALLY want to attend one of those schools.
    Moon, Nice analogy. I say give her the ring and do it behind her back...... ha ha ha
    It's in her best interest, right?

9. funkyrob

funkyrob Junior Member

Who's making you drop the 2K? I'd say do it, you're guaranteed the spot. The effort you put into interviewing and worring over the other schools is not worth it. Send the $$$ in and don't look back. You'll be a Dr. regardless. Oh, and celebrate a little; you're off to med school. Congrats.

10. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree. AZCOM requires 2000, but it is paid in installments - 250 up front, 750 by jan 31 and 1000 in may. Also, you get 40% back if you don't go. CCOM also requires 2000 and may do it the same way. The only other school I know of that requires 2000, besides COMP (1000 now and 1000 next year) is WVCOM.

------------------
    Phillip
    Class of 2004 (somewhere)
    Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.

11. Pepper

Pepper Member
    10+ Year Member

Paul's Boutique,

very creative and amusing!!!

12. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks to all who responded and HURRAH I'm in! Guess I better call the bank now!

------------------

rog