a question about CA letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikasa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am a resident in a program outside california. I am thinking about transferring to a California program because my husband might move there. Do I need a CA letter (PTAL) to transfer? If I don't use this letter in case I can't find a position this year or next, can CA letter still be used later when I apply for licensure in california? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. What is the procedure for applying for a CA letter?
2. Do we need the letter for Fellowships / Working in CA as well?
3. Is there any point trying to get it now, or should I wait till the need arises, i.e. later?
4. How long does it take usually?
5. Is it worth the effort?

Sorry for my ignorance! :oops:

uhoh! said:
1. What is the procedure for applying for a CA letter?
2. Do we need the letter for Fellowships / Working in CA as well?
3. Is there any point trying to get it now, or should I wait till the need arises, i.e. later?
4. How long does it take usually?
5. Is it worth the effort?

Sorry for my ignorance! :oops:
If you are IMG; Print out the forms from CA web site or call the board and let them send you package, send form L5 to your medical school to be signed and sealed (Let your medical school to send an official transcript with the forms to CA board). 2 finger print cards one to FBI and one to DOJ (or better do live scan in California, to do so you have to call the board to get REQUEST FOR LIVE SCAN SERVICE and take it with you to live scan center anywhere in CA and sent copy with your application). Fill out the forms (L1A-L1D), Notarize form (L1E). Pay the fees online (about 515 $ and print the confirmation), request official USMLE scores directed to CA board (50 $ fees and print the confirmation). I sent every thing by Nov 22, 05 and I received the letter by Feb 10, 06. Be sure that your Clinical Clerkship form/forms (L5) fulfill their criteria mentioned in the instructions for the year of your graduation. Send them your ORIGINAL Diploma and OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT if applicable (they will mail them back to you after about one month). Please let me summarize
1- Form (s) L5 signed and sealed by Medical school along with official transcript.
2- 2 finger print cards from anywhere in US or copy from live scan from CA
3- Copy of online payment of 515 $
4- Original Diploma and official Transcript
5- Forms L1A-L1E
6- Copy of USMLE Official scores request directed to CA

You may have to fill other forms if you have previous training or in residency program now like mikasa (not applied to me)

The letter can be used any year you just have to update your application, I think by filling forms L1A-L1E yearly, I am not sure.

You can’t start residency or fellowship without the letter. I think you have to have CA license if you have more than 2 years in training elsewhere

I t is better to get the letter as soon as possible if you are planning to apply to CA programs because it is time consuming and if there is any mistake for example you forgot to sign any form or so, they will return the application back and the timer will start over again (One of my friends applied with me and they returned the forms to him because the Diploma translation is not word by word (how they know, I don't know!!! and why they request translation if they know every word I don't also know and he is still waiting)
I hope that is all
Good luck!!!!!