A question about clinicals abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT2RN2MD

A prole in the making
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Caribbean medical student (MSII) intending to obtain an EM residency in the US. However, I have the opportunity to begin my clinical rotations (24wks) in England. Afterwards, I would complete the rest of my 3rd and all of 4th year rotations in the US.

I've been told by school officals that this would not be problematic concerning residency placement. I've also been directed by one EM resident not to distance myself from the US system, given my Carib med student status.

Personally, I'd like to gain exposure to a different style of medicine.(and see a little bit of Europe) Yet, professionally, I'd drop this plan like a dead rat if it would be viewed as a detriment to my EM application.

What do the EM attendings/residents of SDN think about applicants doing overseas rotations? Any and all opinions appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Caribbean medical student (MSII) intending to obtain an EM residency in the US. However, I have the opportunity to begin my clinical rotations (24wks) in England. Afterwards, I would complete the rest of my 3rd and all of 4th year rotations in the US.

I've been told by school officals that this would not be problematic concerning residency placement. I've also been directed by one EM resident not to distance myself from the US system, given my Carib med student status.

Personally, I'd like to gain exposure to a different style of medicine.(and see a little bit of Europe) Yet, professionally, I'd drop this plan like a dead rat if would be viewed as a detriment to my EM application.

What do the EM attendings/residents of SDN think about applicants doing overseas rotations. Any and all opinions appreciated.
i don't know - SLORs and networking are pretty important it seems in EM - i would want every advantage an American program had to offer - like attendings friends who are PDs, etc.

i don't know - SLORs and networking are pretty important it seems in EM - i would want every advantage an American program had to offer - like attendings friends who are PDs, etc.

With four or five hundred applicants, the PD and assistant PD's eyes are almost bleeding by the time the last application comes 'round. People I know that studied in the UK, then came back to the US and did their audition rotations etc, said that it was a plus, because it separated them from the - literally - hundreds of others (as long as your numbers are par or higher).

Members don't see this ad :)
Good points noted in both replies. Thanks for the input!