A question about pre-med science classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

Izlude_Tingel

Hey guys,
I had a quick question. I'm a fourth year right now and I regularly do some advising stuff for college students interested in applying to med school at my sister's school. I'm pretty uptodate with most things, but I had a friend of my sister ask me about his coursework and I was not too sure because I never heard of this.
So basically this student wants to apply to medschool, kind of a last min thing. I looked at his transcript and aside from one semester of bio, has most the basic pre-requistes done. The only thing is that he took what looks like three semester of chem where they combine both gen chem and orgo into three semester worth. I looked at the syllabus and it appears that it does hit all the stuff orgo/gen chem would hit, maybe missing some finer stuff. I guess that is the way they do it there. I don't think that would fully satisfy the one year gen chem and one year orgo, but what is the best thing to do? He did very well with that particular course work and I don't think he would have to take all those classes over again right? Could he just take a second semester orgo? or second semester gen chem? I also think he has what looks like three semesters worth of chem lab work as well, so I am assuming he might have to take one more. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Izlude_Tingel said:
Hey guys,
I had a quick question. I'm a fourth year right now and I regularly do some advising stuff for college students interested in applying to med school at my sister's school. I'm pretty uptodate with most things, but I had a friend of my sister ask me about his coursework and I was not too sure because I never heard of this.
So basically this student wants to apply to medschool, kind of a last min thing. I looked at his transcript and aside from one semester of bio, has most the basic pre-requistes done. The only thing is that he took what looks like three semester of chem where they combine both gen chem and orgo into three semester worth. I looked at the syllabus and it appears that it does hit all the stuff orgo/gen chem would hit, maybe missing some finer stuff. I guess that is the way they do it there. I don't think that would fully satisfy the one year gen chem and one year orgo, but what is the best thing to do? He did very well with that particular course work and I don't think he would have to take all those classes over again right? Could he just take a second semester orgo? or second semester gen chem? I also think he has what looks like three semesters worth of chem lab work as well, so I am assuming he might have to take one more. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Since he is on the semester system he might have to take the second semester of gen. chem and orgo. Some schools allow students to substitute 1st semester biochem for 2nd semester orgo.

However, if three semesters of chem are all that is offered at his university then it might be ok. I am not sure about that. I know that stanford has something similar to that but they are on a trimester/quarter system.

It might be best to ask med school adcoms.