A question about style WRT secondary essays.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of discussing material of a sensitive nature in one of my secondary essay questions. Not wanting to disclose the real name of an individual involved, I am inclined to refer to him as Mr. X. What do you all think about this? Does this seem too cheesy? Should I just make up a name and include a disclosure statement?

This is a serious question BTW (in case you were wondering).

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I never refered to any type of name in my essays. I always wrote one something like, "I had an experience with one patient..." etc... I didn't really write that but something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
if "Mr. X" sounds too cheesy or generic, you can refer to the person by the initial of their last name, e.g. Mr. P or the like. I've seen a lot of books and papers do this.

Not too cheesy, baby. You worry needlessly. You're sexy. That's all.

I wouldn't use X, but any other letter is fine.

danjo said:
Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of discussing material of a sensitive nature in one of my secondary essay questions. Not wanting to disclose the real name of an individual involved, I am inclined to refer to him as Mr. X. What do you all think about this? Does this seem too cheesy? Should I just make up a name and include a disclosure statement?

This is a serious question BTW (in case you were wondering).

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for the input everyone...especially you Jackie ;)

You know it baby. By the way, my mai-tai is getting low. I think I need more input from you, if you know what I mean. :laugh:

Cummin right up! BTW...this is my thread, so I can do what I want with it right? :idea:

Well....that is the way it works. You're naughty! You go back to writing essays! :)

jackieMD2007 said:
Well....that is the way it works. You're naughty! You go back to writing essays! :)

I have just submitted two secondaries! I finally finished Pritzker (I'll PM you more about that one), and also knocked out Pitt this afternoon! Bring on the interview invites (crossing fingers)!

BTW, it looks like I'm going to be in your neck of the woods a couple of times during the next week. I have layovers :idea: :thumbup: at O'Hare this Sunday and the following Saturday, during my travel to and from Seattle for business.