A Question for any attendings, re: Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

trapper john

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there are a few people on this board who are already out in practice, so I'd like to get some input from any of them.

I am a CA-3 just starting my job search. I have a couple of headhunters looking for jobs for me in the geographical area I prefer. One guy today asked me what type of employment situation I was interested in, and I told him my preference was a group offering partnership in 1-2 years. He told me that I should also consider being a hospital employee as this is becoming a very prevalent trend throughout many areas. I know he is right about this as I have seen many of these types of jobs posted on the various anesthesiology job websites. He also told that as a hospital employee, I can expect to make quite a bit more money straight out of the box.

So my question to any of you attendings is. What do you think about being a hospital employee?
 
trapper john said:
I know there are a few people on this board who are already out in practice, so I'd like to get some input from any of them.

I am a CA-3 just starting my job search. I have a couple of headhunters looking for jobs for me in the geographical area I prefer. One guy today asked me what type of employment situation I was interested in, and I told him my preference was a group offering partnership in 1-2 years. He told me that I should also consider being a hospital employee as this is becoming a very prevalent trend throughout many areas. I know he is right about this as I have seen many of these types of jobs posted on the various anesthesiology job websites. He also told that as a hospital employee, I can expect to make quite a bit more money straight out of the box.

So my question to any of you attendings is. What do you think about being a hospital employee?


Consider the benefits:

1) More money right out of residency
2) Most employee-type positions will cover all benefits (malpractice, health, disability, life, etc.)
3) Don't have to worry about "group politics" as you are a hospital employee - some may say this confers a bit more stability

The cons:

1) Though you may make more money initially, you usually don't increase your salary much as a hospital employee. When you join a group, you make less money for 1-3 years, but once you make partner, you will make sick amounts of cash. The question you have to ask yourself is can you be a "yes man" and get punked out for this time period.

2) You are at the whim of the hospital administration. If a surgeon with a lot of clout complains about you, you're outta' there.