A Question for Current MCPHS Worcester Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bklyngirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCPHS Worcester is my first choice of schools in the application process and I would like to apply as soon as possible, but I'm a bit confused about the financial aid eligibility. Since it's a three year accelerated, I'm
unsure of what is considered undergrad years. Are you eligible for financial aid based on FAFSA for all three years?
It seems that at 4 year programs, you are eligible for financial aid for the first two years, but not for last two (loans/outside scholarships only). Is this usually the correct process?
I'm trying to get an idea of what it would cost me for the three years at MCPHS (if I was accepted) compared to a four year program.
Do you know what the average aid award is (I don't see it listed in their brochures), and what the approx. cost of attendance is after receiving aid?
Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

MCPHS Worcester is my first choice of schools in the application process and I would like to apply as soon as possible, but I'm a bit confused about the financial aid eligibility. Since it's a three year accelerated, I'm
unsure of what is considered undergrad years. Are you eligible for financial aid based on FAFSA for all three years?
It seems that at 4 year programs, you are eligible for financial aid for the first two years, but not for last two (loans/outside scholarships only). Is this usually the correct process?
I'm trying to get an idea of what it would cost me for the three years at MCPHS (if I was accepted) compared to a four year program.
Do you know what the average aid award is (I don't see it listed in their brochures), and what the approx. cost of attendance is after receiving aid?
Thanks for your help.
I just graduated MCP-Worcester a few weeks ago, and I have $150K in student loan debt now. Most of my class is in a similar boat...BUT theoretically we will have a extra year of income to help balance that out.

I filled out a FAFSA each year, and only got loans each year from doing so (no "free" money). And the difference between those loans and the cost of living (which is some number the school calculates and provides), I took out in private Citibank student loans.

Moved to pre-pharm. The courses that you complete as pre-requisites to apply to pharmacy school are considered your undergraduate coursework. The courses you take during pharmacy school are considered your graduate or professional coursework. You should be able to financial aid for all three or four years of pharmacy school. You could always call the school directly and ask them specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated MCP-Worcester a few weeks ago, and I have $150K in student loan debt now. Most of my class is in a similar boat...BUT theoretically we will have a extra year of income to help balance that out.

I filled out a FAFSA each year, and only got loans each year from doing so (no "free" money). And the difference between those loans and the cost of living (which is some number the school calculates and provides), I took out in private Citibank student loans.

Thanks so much for your quick reply! :oops:

That's the exact amount I was figuring it would probably cost me, and even if I went to a 4 year school at approx. 25,000 per year tuition plus approx. extra 10,000 for room/board there is not much difference in the end - and like you mention, I'd be done one year earlier. I've been taking summer classes anyway for the past two summers, so a year round program won't bother me at all.
I'm just hoping I will be eligible for 150,000 loan, as I have very little income at this time, I mean VERY LITTLE!

One more question, if your don't mind? As a MCPHS graduate, did you have a fulfilling experience over the past three years? If you could turn back time, would you take the same path again?

Thanks for your help.

When I applied for my loans (I am starting this year) I was told to consider my first year to be undergrad and the next 2 years as grad.

Moved to pre-pharm. The courses that you complete as pre-requisites to apply to pharmacy school are considered your undergraduate coursework. The courses you take during pharmacy school are considered your graduate or professional coursework. You should be able to financial aid for all three or four years of pharmacy school. You could always call the school directly and ask them specific questions.

Thanks for your response.
A few of the four year programs I am interested in state that you are considered an undergraduate student and eligible for financial aid for the first two years of the professional program. For the last two years, you would only be qualified for loans as these two years are considered graduate years.
I was more so curious about MCPHS Worcester's policy because it is a three year program.

When I applied for my loans (I am starting this year) I was told to consider my first year to be undergrad and the next 2 years as grad.
So I guess you would only be eligible to apply for financial aid for the first year, and may get some aid based on your FAFSA. Wonder if they base aid award on students income or parents income?
Congrats on your acceptance!

So I guess you would only be eligible to apply for financial aid for the first year, and may get some aid based on your FAFSA. Wonder if they base aid award on students income or parents income?
Congrats on your acceptance!

The 1st year u definitely need parents' income (unless you are already over 24 and are considered independent already)

The 2nd and 3rd year, it depends on how you file your taxes. Since u are considered graduate, u don't need ur parents info (i didn't put my parents on mine).. if i'm mistaken, plz correct me.

the first year, u usually don't get enough federal loans to cover the full tuition, u'd most likely either have to borrow private loans or pay for it out of pocket, the 2nd and 3rd years, the federal UNsubsidized loan have a higher max limit, so u can borrow up to cost of attendance, or so I heard...