A question for southerners...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdamSanders

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about different places I would enjoy going to school, and a warm climate is extremely tempting. I hate driving in the snow, and that alone would be a valid reason to myself to move away from it. Having lived in Cleveland my whole life, I have always had snow. My question is for the people who live in Florida, Cali, Georgia, etc... have you guys/girls ever seen snow? Idk, I was just wondering if people can go their whole lives without playing/driving/experiencing snow. Idk, maybe I am just naive and it snows everywhere, but lmk. Sorry for the off-topic thread

Members don't see this ad.

Well living in Cleveland is a good enough excuse to ask this question considering all of the lake effect snow courtesy of the great lakes. I admittedly live in Cincinnati, but have been several places.

Southern Texas, California, Southern Louisiana, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida, and Southern GA (ok, just about any place in the south with a coastline) is not going to see much snow. My husbands uncle lives in Atlanta and they hardly ever get snow (his cousin started going to UC and had to learn how to drive in the stuff, that was fun).

Some of these places will get the occasional freak snow issue, but its fairly rare in the deep south.

I can only remember a handful of times it has snowed, maybe 3 times or so that it was enough to actually play in. Usually, the rare occasions that it does snow, the ground is too warm for it to stick. Just a couple of nights ago, it snowed quite a bit (for us anyway), but it melted as it hit the ground. I live in Austin, TX by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Snow is like this foreign substance to me. I lived in California, Paraguay, and Arizona. It snowed once when I was five and stuck to the ground. Other than that, the only time I've seen it was when I went to higher elevations.

i worry about the weather too, applying to some northern schools. i've lived in arizona, and then on a tropical island nation. i saw snow in the city (in arizona) maybe twice, then of course on the mountains.

it'd be kinda weird and take some adjusting to last through a long snowy winter though. i am much more inclined to have weather be too hot than too cold.

go to pharmacy school in a warmer area. you might like it. :rolleyes:

It snowed today in New Orleans. Just fyi.

Yeah, I saw an article for this today, which is one of the reasons I decided to post this. It also said that a bunch of schools were cancelled and stuff, for like 4 inches of snow lol.

I'm from Southern Cali, but I used to live in the Pacific Northwest for the first 5 years of my life. We have snow up there for maybe up to a month in one year, but nothing extreme compared to the East Coast or Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan area. Other than that, I've seen snow at Big Bear, CA (east in the San Bernardino area) and Grapevine (north of LA). I'll worry about snow later once I get accepted to a school first.

I grew up in Eastern Washington state, and went to school in Maine. I've also traveled around the US a lot. Yep, I've seen snow! :p Since we've moved down here, I haven't seen it. We did have a heavy frost the other morning though. :laugh: People drive insane when it rains, I can't imagine what it'd be like if it snowed.

I do know people who have only seen it on tv, the movies, or in books. They also still talk of the 'big snowstorm of 89' around here. That's the last time it officially snowed I guess.

I grew up in Eastern Washington state, and went to school in Maine.

So you were from the Spokane area? I used to live in Seattle and Edmonds back then.

It's so crazy..I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a place where it DIDN'T snow. Snow is the norm for about...6 months of the year here :)

i worry about the weather too, applying to some northern schools. i've lived in arizona, and then on a tropical island nation. i saw snow in the city (in arizona) maybe twice, then of course on the mountains.

it'd be kinda weird and take some adjusting to last through a long snowy winter though. i am much more inclined to have weather be too hot than too cold.

go to pharmacy school in a warmer area. you might like it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, you'd be surprised at what our cold northern winters are like. I don't think a lot of people realize what they really are. I have a lot of family in
the south so I get to hear their stories.

For example: just because it snowed a foot overnight doesn't mean school will be cancelled. The only reason to cancel school is a pure ice storm (and I don't mean ice - an ice STORM, where literally everything is covered in two to three inches of ice, and you can't open your front door) or if it snows over a foot after 4 am, when it's too late for the plows to clear it enough. Even then, you may still have class and work. And it's not just the snow that's bad...it's the wind that's really bad, especially in lake effect areas (go Great Lakes!). It can drop the temperature by a good 30 to 40 degrees, easily.

Snow rocks.

I live in the north GA area, and we usually get about 2-3 days worth of snow every year. It will snow, last a day, and then melt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas gets a real snow storm about once every three years. The down side to it is that summer is very hot and humid. The humidity will mess you up for real. Also since it is so hot here...no one can drive in ice. There are always alot of wrecks if it is snow, ice, or sleet on the ground; the weather doesn't happen often but when it does...it will shut down the entire area.

I like snow for about a week increments (skiing) every few years. But, I love coming back to 80 degree weather afterwords. I spent my undergrad at a northern school and I will never do that again, boy did I not know what I was getting myself into. I have heard it snows every few years in Gainesville for maybe a day or two, I guess I will have to see. BTW, I love having lived in an area that never snows (sofl). I recommend it to the OP, it is a perfect time to try out a new area for pharmacy school.

I've lived in Orange County, CA all my life and and it can definitely get hot, but it's still more on the mild side as intensity goes. There's no mosquitoes here (the one thing I hate about visiting relatives in Wisconsin is the mosquitoes). The beach is 20-30 minutes away and the mountains are about an hour away. Snow, surf, heat. All in one....if you can get past the traffic on the freeways

I've lived in Orange County, CA all my life and and it can definitely get hot, but it's still more on the mild side as intensity goes. There's no mosquitoes here (the one thing I hate about visiting relatives in Wisconsin is the mosquitoes). The beach is 20-30 minutes away and the mountains are about an hour away. Snow, surf, heat. All in one....if you can get past the traffic on the freeways

You're from Fullerton? I live in the adjacent city, probably 10 minutes away from your area. I would say our weather is not extreme compared to other locations. I know I haven't really faced with the "real cold" yet, but I have been complaining of the freezing temps in the morning for the past couple of weeks. :laugh: When I mean freezing, it's probably in the high 50s or low 60s. After seeing the extreme weather conditions on TV like snow/ice storms, tornadoes, etc...I'm kind of scared of relocating to a new place. The weird thing is that I totally get freaked out of tornadoes, but a majority of the schools that I applied to are in the Midwest. :scared:

I am from IL but I go to school in ATL, it really doesnt snow much here but when it does ppl go crazy! Accidents, ppl considering closing businesses for the day, ppl who are from Cali getting super excited because they have never seen it before and more. But when it snows in atl, to me, its just frost, but nothing serious!!

I heard that it snowed in Houston yesterday.

I've lived in AZ for 12 years and saw snow in Phoenix once and snow in Tucson once in that time. I don't own a windshield scraper, so I had to get the ice off one year with a dustpan...lol. There's this mountain you can see from Tucson with snow on it in the winter. I think it depends on the elevation you live at also because two years ago it snowed and stuck for awhile in a Phoenix suburb where my parents live at a higher elevation than the city. There's also a few places to go skiing in AZ in the winter though they haven't had very good snow the past few years. I also lived in Albuquerque (where UNM is) and it snows there pretty much every year. It's not usually too crazy, but you can make a snowman out of it and might have to get the tire chains out. About two years ago my family actually got snowed in for about two weeks the weather got so bad in Albuquerque.

Yeah, I've never seen snow. I've lived only in Florida and have been up north to DC and New York, but never seen it. My ex is taking me to detroit in January to hopefully see it... In regards to weather though, I only applied to one school up north because being a true Floridian means that anything below 65 is freezing lol.

I live in the south, but not close to a coast. We have ice storms here in the winter, with occasional snow (some years none). I will take snow over an ice storm any day though. You have no power and nothing to play in. The kids are out of school but bored. You can't drive anywhere and everything is closed. Then of course we have summers where the humidity is overpowering. Sweat just jumps out of your skin the second you walk outside. On the positive side though we have a relatively mild winter, you don't need your heavy coat much. And we have a lot of sun.

You're from Fullerton? I live in the adjacent city, probably 10 minutes away from your area. I would say our weather is not extreme compared to other locations. I know I haven't really faced with the "real cold" yet, but I have been complaining of the freezing temps in the morning for the past couple of weeks. :laugh: When I mean freezing, it's probably in the high 50s or low 60s. After seeing the extreme weather conditions on TV like snow/ice storms, tornadoes, etc...I'm kind of scared of relocating to a new place. The weird thing is that I totally get freaked out of tornadoes, but a majority of the schools that I applied to are in the Midwest. :scared:

Not extreme by any means no. But the occasional 90-105 degree day in the summer sucks. At least we don't compound it with humidity. Oh......and as for EARTHQUAKES (because I know all the midwesterners freak out about those) You guys have way more tornado warnings and thunderstorms in a week than we will have earthquakes we can feel in a year or two. What you have to worry about is.....Fires (if your property backs up to wilderness only) and flooding (if your area was affected by fire)

Not extreme by any means no. But the occasional 90-105 degree day in the summer sucks. At least we don't compound it with humidity. Oh......and as for EARTHQUAKES (because I know all the midwesterners freak out about those) You guys have way more tornado warnings and thunderstorms in a week than we will have earthquakes we can feel in a year or two. What you have to worry about is.....Fires (if your property backs up to wilderness only) and flooding (if your area was affected by fire)

Yeah, wildfires. Right before Thanksgiving week, I actually got freaked out because of the fires in Yorba Linda. I don't live too far from the 57 freeway (I live close to the south end of the freeway), so I got panicked and started watering my garden that one afternoon.

It snowed today in New Orleans. Just fyi.

Sure did and it was a very pretty site, but no matter where you go, you will have to put up with something rather it be snow, earthquakes, hurricanes or tornadoes.

It only snows in New Orleans about once every five or six years so I can't complain but hurricane season is a headache with all the evacuations at the last minute, but I wouldn't trade my home because I don't like snow either LOL

So you were from the Spokane area? I used to live in Seattle and Edmonds back then.

Central actually, halfway between Spokane and Seattle. I grew up in a pretty rural area, moving to Seattle was a big shock after high school, (in a good way though).

It's 29 degrees right now in Marietta, GA

Yeah, wildfires. Right before Thanksgiving week, I actually got freaked out because of the fires in Yorba Linda. I don't live too far from the 57 freeway (I live close to the south end of the freeway), so I got panicked and started watering my garden that one afternoon.

haha, you watered your lawn? How about my car got hit by a softball sized flaming ember as I evacuated my home...scary at the time.....kind of cool now...haha

haha, you watered your lawn? How about my car got hit by a softball sized flaming ember as I evacuated my home...scary at the time.....kind of cool now...haha

Oh wow. Your home is ok now right? I know people who live in Yorba Linda and they pretty much had to pack their stuff in their car and guard their homes outside overnight. Last year was bad too. I went to school in San Diego and I didn't have school for a week.

i believe the "snow belt" ranges from seattle to memphis to atlantic city if that gives you an idea. i'm from the south right on the snow belt boundary and we get a LOT of ice and prob a total of 3 weeks of snow a year. ice is MUCH worse than snow in my opinion. now i'm in columbus and the snow is not a problem here but the ice is. it doesn't really matter though because everyone lives within walking or bus distance to campus. a decent number of people drive but don't really need to, they just prefer to.

the south is much warmer but the first thing you'll notice is that unless you're in the southwest or on the coast, it definitely snows and gets cold (single digits for about a week here, 100s for about 2 weeks in the summer). winter is not foreign to all of us but the major difference is that it's much drier in the winter time therefore less snow (no lake effect business surprising you every other day).

hope this helps, enjoy fun in the sun

Are you guys kidding me? How can you like warm weather more than cold weather? Anything above 65 is HOT.

You would hate it here in Arizona. I always surprise myself when I find myself saying, "it's only 105 today." Only?! I was raised in California so when it got that high there I thought I was going to melt. Now if it isn't at least 105, it just isn't all that hot. But I do start getting cold when it gets into the 60s.

I've seen snow in multiple states. 6 while living there and a few more while passing through. The biggest problem I have is if it sticks around for more than a few days. It's like when it's overcast for multiple days in a row, things just get bland and boring. The first few days of sledding, skiing, etc are fine, but when I have to worry about my driving (or other people's:scared:) that's when I don't like it.

I have lived in GA and NC. It used to snow in both states so I have seen snow before....however the climate is getting warmer...(thanks global warming!) and there is no more snow. It hasn't snow at all in NC this year. (And I love it...I hate cold weather!) However, you if want to really AVIOD snow I would apply to schools in Florida, Cali and Hawaii...b/c it still gets cold sometimes in GA! ;)

I am thinking about Hawaii too....its the cost of living thats making me stop...Loan= almost as bad as cold weather! hahahah..

Are you guys kidding me? How can you like warm weather more than cold weather? Anything above 65 is HOT.

Anything above 100 is hot! LOL...I like temp between 75-85. I used to attend Columbia and the weather was the only thing bad about New York City.

Anything above 100 is hot! LOL...I like temp between 75-85. I used to attend Columbia and the weather was the only thing bad about New York City.
It's too expensive to live in NYC. The one thing that I really like about NYC is that you can get around without a car.

It's too expensive to live in NYC. The one thing that I really like about NYC is that you can get around without a car.

Depends on where you live in NYC. I was at Columbia University (great school, but ghetto area) so the rent was okay. I paid $833 a month but I also had 2 other roommates. However with $833 dollars a month I can get a place to MYSELF in the south.

If you live anywhere near central park you will be paying 2K to 3K a month though...But the area is beautiful. :)