a question for the ladies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noobin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
and of course, guys can chime in with their opinions too.

so, i'm getting ready for my interviews and i just bought myself a new pantsuit. it's going to be cold and i have no intention of freezing my butt off.
i have gotten so much criticism that i'm wearing pants (none from path people which is why i'm asking here). Everyone keeps telling me that 'path is a conservative field' 'you need to wear a skirt' 'you will look unprofessional in pants' 'my isersons says all women should wear skirts'.
I can't believe how many people have commented on this. It seems like such a stupid thing. Am I really making such a big mistake by wearing pants? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

here's my take:

wear what you are comfortable in...do you really think people are going to look at you and say "we can't take accept her -- she's wearing pants!" i'd rather be comfortable in pants instead of worrying that i'm sitting correctly, that my skirt isn't too short, that my pantyhose have a run in them... plus, i HATE when med students interview and you see a group of 15 girls walking around in a black suit, shear pantyhose, and black pumps - everyone looks like freaking clones! i'd rather be stylish and professional....iserson is going for the ultraconservative approach, and the number of helpful things i can find in that book i can count on one hand -- it's all about looking comfortable and professional, and if you've gotten this far in med school, i think you can figure that out and can throw iserson in the trash ;)

screw what you're hearing -- wear what you WANT...

btw -- no black skirt, clear hose, and pumps for me -- BROWN PANT suit and black pinstripe PANTsuits for me (WITH colorful accesories)!! i know -- i'm a rebel! :p

noobin said:
and of course, guys can chime in with their opinions too.

so, i'm getting ready for my interviews and i just bought myself a new pantsuit. it's going to be cold and i have no intention of freezing my butt off.
i have gotten so much criticism that i'm wearing pants (none from path people which is why i'm asking here). Everyone keeps telling me that 'path is a conservative field' 'you need to wear a skirt' 'you will look unprofessional in pants' 'my isersons says all women should wear skirts'.
I can't believe how many people have commented on this. It seems like such a stupid thing. Am I really making such a big mistake by wearing pants? :confused:

Agreed - pants are much more practical for winter. Plus, you can get away with more comfortable shoes. If a place thinks you are too liberal or whatever for wearing pants...screw 'em - you wouldn't want to work there anyway!

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agreed! I have a black pants suit. I honestly don't care what anyone has to say at this point b/c it is what I am comfortable in.

ok, good. i feel better now. i couldn't believe what a big deal people were making over something which to me seems so trivial.
pants it is...

I wore a gray pants suit and I got in. Don't forget to wear comfortable dress shoes because most places have you walk around a lot. It doesn't hurt to be a little different and stand out from the other interviewees and their cloned black funeral attire.

My take has always been that if you stick to conservative colors (black, brown, navy, etc) no one will care if it's a skirt suit or pants suit. I can't imagine something like that really plays a role in whether or not an applicant gets offered a spot. Or maybe i'm just naive.

Seriously, before I went with the gray pant suit, I had actually bought a one-piece red dress suit. Decided against it after advice from folks thinking the path world wasn't ready for that yet.

I'm wearing a pant suit and many of the girls I talk to are as well, independent of specialty. In fact, I wore a sage green pant suit to medical school interviews and received compliments on my attire from interviewers, other candidates, and adminstrative personnel. I think if you're neat and clean (I personally carry dental floss, small packets of Shout, tooth wipes and a stain removal pen) you'll be set.

But this year I'm wearing navy and I'm currently looking for a pinstripe, a herringbone or chocolate brown suit. I may wear the sage green to a practice interview first to get a "feel".

Of course, right now I'm elated I can still fit into them from 4 years ago.

:cool:

If I may let my feminine side out for a moment...

I saw a few girls on my interview trail wearing pants suits. In fact, the girl who interviewed the same day as me at one place was wearing a pants suit, and I know for a fact that she matched at that program. Thus, for my small sample size, pants suit wearing = program ranking you highly.

I also saw a guy at one interview wearing a skirt, and to the best of my knowledge he did not match. :p

Truly though, it isn't about the attire. As long as you look professional and are not basing your entire interview impression on your looks, you will do fine. The majority of path programs I visited were remarkable for their casual appearance and dress. In my program now, most of the attendings (and residents) don't wear ties any day. I do quite often though, because I am a snob.

AndyMilonakis said:
Everyone...this is true. :p

He lies about wearing ties though.

I have worn a tie every day these past two weeks. I didn't often when I was on autopsy rotation because I had to change most days anyway.

BTW, if you ever see me wearing a bowtie, you have permission to throw eggs at me.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
I have worn a tie every day these past two weeks. I didn't often when I was on autopsy rotation because I had to change most days anyway.

BTW, if you ever see me wearing a bowtie, you have permission to throw eggs at me.

The one day you'll get away with wearing a bowtie will be the day I interview at Michigan. I will not have eggs with me. And I will be on my best behavior.

Count me in for pants. Skirts, besides being impractical for cold weather, feel too revealing to me. At the risk of exposing myself as a mere clone ;) , I wore a black suit to my first interview.

pants, mgh, #1 choice. Personally I thought I looked more conservative in my pants suit than in my skirt suit.

Mindy

deschutes said:
Can I wear flats with a skirt? :oops:

I'm definitely going to, seeing as I'm already 6' tall when barefoot. Last thing I need is to tower over some chairman with a height complex. :laugh:

Okay, sounds like pants are acceptable. I have a black pinstriped jacket with a solid black skirt and a mauve blouse for my next interview. I wore a navy (skirt) suit to my first interview. I plan to wear pants when it gets colder down here (TN). Fashion experts- what are you wearing to the dinner the night before? I assume it will be at a decent but not extravagant place so I'm opting for grey slacks, and a nice fall sweater (tomorrow night) with low heels. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks and best wishes.

That sounds good. From my classmates interviewing in all specialties everyone says slacks or khakis (boys and girls), no jeans. Nice casual ... something you would wear in clinic (just leave the 20lb short white coat at home) :D

Since this is the first time I am putting together full interview regalia (I wore a dress to med school interviews), I have a question - what is this mystical "blouse" that goes under the suit jacket?

Lots of people say "blouse" when they actually mean "shirt". Camisoles or T-shirts or sweaters shouldn't even be in the picture!

My idea of "blouse" = round-neck slightly scooped collar in a somewhat drifty but non-transparent material of beige/cream/pastel.

I have some difficulty finding this imaginary item, and am currently considering alternatives. Unfortunately since I am also small (too small for even some XS sizes - you may laugh now!) I have limited resources.
The only white shirt I have has short sleeves - can I get away with this? (Would I be taking off my jacket at any point during the day??)

--
Addendum: The concept of looking good in temps below freezing is new to me - what do I do about my ears? :oops:

deschutes,
I just had my first interview this past week, and I too had some difficulty figuring out what the 'blouse' was to be.
Your definition of a blouse is exactly the same as mine. A regular t-shirt is obviously not appropriate. I saw other interviewees wearing what looked like silky plain-neck shirts and sweaters under their suit jackets. I wore a collared shirt under my suit, and it was entirely appropriate.
I did take my jacket off during lunch with the residents. Is your white shirt a 'blouse' type shirt or a collared shirt? If it is blouse-y then wear it. Even if it's a collared shirt you could wear it if it was weather appropriate.
When I bought my outfits for med school interviews, I bought alot at Ann Taylor because they had size 0 and I was tiny at the time. I don't know if they still do, but you should definitely be able to find a shirt there. I also bought a couple things from Limited Too. Yes, it's a kids store, but I bought a shirt there that I wore under a suit for a medschool interview.
Regarding your ears, are you going anywhere that you might be outside for an extended period of time? I'd probably wear a hat or just suffer.

Butterky,

My white shirt is shirty. ;) For some reason, wearing a short-sleeved pointy-collared shirt under a suit is somewhat of a faux pas in my mind, something I would consider avoiding unless I was on my last legs... which I am! :rolleyes: Maybe I will have it along for backup.

I am actually located across the northern border, and orchestrating online shopping via a friend in the US tends to be more trouble than it is worth. But thank you for your suggestions all the same. We should go shopping at Baby Gap together! (I have a Columbia ski jacket in a girls' size 16, as 18 was too large).

You are right - I probably will not be outside for any long period of time. But now that I have brand-new fleece gloves (!) I feel obliged to pamper my ears too. Tried earmuffs last year, which were eventually misplaced... I'm thinking of one of those velcro fleece-bands now, since I don't have the sort of face that tooks (or is it touques?) take kindly to.

Wearing a short-sleeved shirt under a suit jacket is a no-no. Imagine how you would look if someone happened to catch a glance up your sleeve and saw bare arms. Not too professional. I will be wearing a white, long-sleeved, button-up shirt with my suit. I don't plan to take it off, especially since I don't own a nice belt to wear with it, so hopefully nobody will see my shirt. But if I'm forced to take my jacket off for some reason (e.g. I'm about to pass out from heat stroke because the furnace is set to 90 degrees), then at least I won't be embarrassed to have people see my shirt. Wearing a filmy blouse seems dangerous since wouldn't it be a little see-through? But as long as the jacket stays on, it seems fine to me.

It seems to me like that camisole is supposed to be worn under the shirt, not be the shirt. But they sure make it sound like it's the actual shirt. I don't think that's considered conservative interview attire; that's more like hip, workplace attire. Not to say that people aren't dressing like that for interviews, but you won't see me doing it.

I think it depends on the camisole. One of my interviewers who was a somewhat elderly lady had a top on that looked like a camisole. But the neckline was high. It could have been a short sleeved blouse too I guess. She didn't take her jacket off so I couldn't tell. But she looked very conservative.
Honestly deschutes, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think as long as you don't have a plunging neckline or a totally see-through shirt, you'll be fine. Of course you need to look professional, but being comfortable is the most important thing.

I agree, while it's a good topic, and I plan to follow all the rules, so to speak, I really doubt anyone is going to notice. At the program where I'm currently rotating, we had a female applicant there for her interview yesterday. I got a good look at the back of her suit jacket, that's about it. I never saw so much as her shoes. So as long as you look professional, nobody's going to care or probably even notice the little details.

stormjen said:
Wearing a short-sleeved shirt under a suit jacket is a no-no. Imagine how you would look if someone happened to catch a glance up your sleeve and saw bare arms. Not too professional. I will be wearing a white, long-sleeved, button-up shirt with my suit. I don't plan to take it off, especially since I don't own a nice belt to wear with it, so hopefully nobody will see my shirt. But if I'm forced to take my jacket off for some reason (e.g. I'm about to pass out from heat stroke because the furnace is set to 90 degrees), then at least I won't be embarrassed to have people see my shirt. Wearing a filmy blouse seems dangerous since wouldn't it be a little see-through? But as long as the jacket stays on, it seems fine to me.

I happened to come across this old post of mine and felt an update was needed. My mother nicely gave me a new suit to wear for the second half of the interview season. Since she was paying for it, I gave her much sway in the selection process. We ended up getting a black pants suit with a short-sleeved white blouse to wear under the jacket. It worked out perfectly well, though I did have to take the jacket off to get through security on the way home. It was a bit silly to make such a big deal out of it.

hmmm.... i wore a wine colored vintage inspired camisole under the requisite black pantsuit... it seemed ok.. i was just mad because like a ***** i had failed to pull the pants out of the drycleaning bag the night before so didn't see till too late that the creases i had asked for weren't ironed in. threw me off temporarily. i really cherish my creases.

as an aside, i had splurged and bought a new pair of $80 steve madden heels, and this was a MASSIVE splurge... but they were chic yet conservative and above all comfortable. so i go for lunch with a couple residents, assuming we would drive somewhere. lo and behold we end up walking over 4 blocks, not to mention through a couple of muddy lots. first you can totally tel that the 2 residents were male... who think nothing of trekking through mud in their sneakers. and second who would think nothing of a walk that long (not like it was long, but in heels you take any distance and multiply by five to get what it actually feelslike). so i got mud all over my new maddens and my feet hurt so bad.. but they were comfortbale enough to where i escaped blister hell.

that was a pointless story but it seemed somewhwat appropriate at the mioment..... i just wont ever forget that feeling of hopelessness eveyr time i took a step and felt the heel of the brand new hsoe sink into the mud. so sad.

I bought three different pairs of shoes for interviewing, the first pair was a silver alligator slingback which turned out to be the most painful shoe I have ever worn mostly due to the death march of a tour I got taken on. Thus, I bought a plain black pair of heels which somehow got mangled by the TSA people and half of the shoe was ripped which led to a mad dash to buy another pair of shoes at the last minute before an interview...

If I could do it all over again, I would have worn a low heeled pump because there is no way to predict the distances you will have to walk on your interview. I had some interviews where I probably walked 2-3 miles (or it felt like it) going back and forth to interviewers, plus places where the tour spanned the entire campus. Interviews are the only time when it is appropriate to say screw fashion and go for comfort

Go with the low-heel/no-heel pump. :thumbup:

Mine were low black Clarks with tons of cushioning.
As a result I kept up with the PDs and chief residents no matter how many stairwells and hospital wings and parking lots we trekked through.

I saw stilettos and I have to say I sniggered :smuggrin:

You were probably sniggering at me... :D

If I didn't have a frickin shoe fetish I would have been fine, instead, my feet are still recovering from the blisters and abuse of the interview trail. I've even had the aveda pedicure which involves intensive foot massage by an asian woman and I still hurt when I put on heels... :mad:

My shoe fetish involves that which does not hurt, be they strappies or boots.
Along those lines I have found a glorious pair of transparent heels for grad, which only set me back $20!

But coming back to interview clothes for next year - did I mention that you can never have too many pairs of black socks? :p

I did not have a car on my travels, so I did a lot of walking. Sneakers are good to have on when making connections with 2 minutes to spare.

EUA said:
hmmm.... i wore a wine colored vintage inspired camisole under the requisite black pantsuit... it seemed ok.. i was just mad because like a ***** i had failed to pull the pants out of the drycleaning bag the night before so didn't see till too late that the creases i had asked for weren't ironed in. threw me off temporarily. i really cherish my creases.

Ooh, vintage! I hear ya on the dry cleaner crease problem. Mine gave me an unwanted crease--right on the front collar of my white interview blouse! I spent ten minutes trying to iron OUT the crease. Fools!

so i go for lunch with a couple residents, assuming we would drive somewhere. lo and behold we end up walking over 4 blocks, not to mention through a couple of muddy lots.

You know, that was really inconsiderate. It's the little stuff like that incident that makes the whole interview process worse than it has to be. They've probably miffed quite a few (female) applicants with that walk to lunch. I hope your shoes survived okay.

Now that the end of med school is approaching, I feel myself getting a little less uptight about spending money. For a really long time, I didn't buy myself any new clothes. Both my mother and mother-in-law would get really excited if they ever saw me wearing some new item of clothing, it was that bad. But in these past three or so months, I've purchased (*gasp*) FOUR new pairs of shoes! That's insane for me! A pair of comfortable, low-heel interview shoes that worked out quite well. A pair of knee-high black leather boots. A pair of black pumps with three-inch heels. A pair of delicious high-heel brown leather slides, to be worn the second the temperature rises above 50 degrees. I love my shoes, so I understand the shoe thing, and I am SO sorry.