a question for those familiar with Oakland, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GB78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to interview at Samuel Merritt on January 21, and my initial plan - since I live in the Bay Area - was to get there by BART and then walk from MacArthur Station to SMU, which, according to Google Maps, is just about 18 minutes along Telegraph Ave. I'm a little puzzled though by the fact that in the email we received from the assistant director of admission she says the following:
"It is possible to walk from the BART station to campus, though I would recommend taking a taxi."
The only reason I can think of that would make me take a taxi in order to travel such a distance is that the area is considered quite unsafe. Is that actually so? We all know that in terms of safety Oakland is not Palo Alto :), but I was under the impression that the area around SMU is pretty safe...

Members don't see this ad.

yes, that is why. I know it is walk-able, but in dress clothes it might be a bit uncomfortable,and I would asusme they do not want prospective students seeing too much of that part of town as it may hinder their perspective of the school.

I live in the east bay and definitely would say that it is not safe to walk from Macarthur BART to the school. The area around SMU is not the worst of Oakland, but is not safe either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think you'll be fine if you walk. I lived in the east bay all my life and went to school in Berkeley right next door. I've walked through a lot of parts of Oakland and never had problems. There is crime in nearly every part of Oakland and I don't think this short walk will be one that is exceptionally unsafe.

I go to SMU's DPT program and I take BART to school every day. Usually they have a shuttle but it doesn't run on weekends. The area around SMU is very safe and you should have no problem walking if that's what you want to do. I do it often on weekends. However, forecast says it's going to rain on Saturday. If you're gonna walk, make sure you bring an umbrella.

RonMexicoDPT, how do you like the program and area? It is my number one choice, but I would love input on the program, area, and how to best get accepted from an actual student. I am applying this upcoming cycle in the summer and would love any input you have, thanks!