Seeking those with low GPA & GRE, but still received interviews and acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StvphFolarin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at a point of just seeing which schools will actually give an interview, I'm already prepared and understanding of whatever comes with it. Just looking to see if there's anyone with similar stats that is currently in PT school or received an interview with stats such as this ?

Cumulative GPA: 3.34
Post Bacc GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 3.09-3.4 (Depending on whether school takes highest or avg's both grades)
GRE: 149 V, 141 Q, 3.0 AW (Highest after taking it twice..)

Extracurricular Activities: More than enough

Volunteer/ Observation Hrs: 415 (outpatient), 30 (inpatient), currently working as PT tech with 320 hrs as of right now

LOR'S: 2 from physical therapist, 1 from professor

Applied: Breanu U, Midwestern-Glendale, Rocky Mountain U, USA-Miami, Winston Salem U, UMHB

Applying: Breanu U, Midwestern - Glendale U, Rocky Mountain U, University of Oklahoma, Univ. of St. Aug - Miami, West Coast U, Winston Salem U, Arkansas St, Southwest Baptist U, Hardin-Simmons U,

Rejections: Midwestern-Glendale..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Commenting because I have similar stats and am also curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools are you applying to?
I applied to University of Lynchburg, High Point, Shenandoah, VCU, Emory & Henry, ETSU, University of South Carolina, MUSC, PCOM, Anderson, Wingate, South College, Emory, USA-St. Augustine and U Maryland Baltimore.

Got rejected from UMB, Wingate, and Anderson. Haven’t heard from any of the others.

Last edited:
You could try University of St. Augustine. I have a friend with a 3.4 who got accepted.

You could try University of St. Augustine. I have a friend with a 3.4 who got accepted.
That’s one of the schools actually, I’ve been communicating with a coordinator via email and was advised to apply, even with my stats.

I am at a point of just seeing which schools will actually give an interview, I'm already prepared and understanding of whatever comes with it. Just looking to see if there's anyone with similar stats that is currently in PT school or received an interview with stats such as this ?

Post Bacc GPA: currently retaking AP 1 & BIO 1 at community, A's currently
Pre-Req GPA: 3.09-3.3 (Depending on whether school takes highest or avg's both grades)

Volunteer/ Observation Hrs: 415 (outpatient), 30 (inpatient), currently working as PT tech with 175 hrs as of rn

Applied/Applying: Breanu U, Midwestern - Glendale U, Rocky Mountain U, Hampton U, University of Oklahoma, Univ. of St. Aug - Miami, West Coast U, Winston Salem U, Arkansas St, Southwest Baptist U, Hardin-Simmons U
My ptcas overall gpa is the same as yours and I have 2 acceptances after applying 3 times. You’re doing the right thing by retaking prerequisites at a community college, but it’s possible your new grades won’t be factored into your current application. If it comes down to reapplying next year, make sure you’re completely done retaking prerequisites before you start applying. Your Quantitative and Writing GRE scores also need work (mine were 146V, 152Q and 4.0AW if you want to compare).

My ptcas overall gpa is the same as yours and I have 2 acceptances after applying 3 times. You’re doing the right thing by retaking prerequisites at a community college, but it’s possible your new grades won’t be factored into your current application. If it comes down to reapplying next year, make sure you’re completely done retaking prerequisites before you start applying. Your Quantitative and Writing GRE scores also need work (mine were 146V, 152Q and 4.0AW if you want to compare).
Most of the programs have deadlines that aren't until next year, the two classes I'm currently taking finish in December around the 11th. I was planning to have the transcript sent to PTCAS as soon as grades are posted. Which school were you accepted into, if you don't mind ?

I applied to University of Lynchburg, High Point, Shenandoah, VCU, Emory & Henry, ETSU, University of South Carolina, MUSC, PCOM, Anderson, Wingate, South College, Emory, USA-St. Augustine and U Maryland Baltimore.

Got rejected from UMB, Wingate, and Anderson. Haven’t heard from any of the others.
Wingate is a school I'm planning on applying to after this semester, due to their late deadline.

Wingate is a school I'm planning on applying to after this semester, due to their late deadline.
I’d go ahead and apply and then just do the academic update at the end of the semester. It gives you the option to put courses currently in progress. Just because the deadline isn’t until late doesn’t mean they won’t fill the class before then.

Most of the programs have deadlines that aren't until next year, the two classes I'm currently taking finish in December around the 11th. I was planning to have the transcript sent to PTCAS as soon as grades are posted. Which school were you accepted into, if you don't mind ?
Nova Southeastern University (Ft. Lauderdale) and A.T. Still University. Also have had interview invitations from University of New England, Midwestern University-Glendale, and University of Rhode Island.

Post Bacc GPA: currently retaking AP 1 & BIO 1 at community, A's currently
Pre-Req GPA: 3.09-3.3 (Depending on whether school takes highest or avg's both grades)
/QUOTE]

Loma Linda and Western University of Health Sciences should be appropriate to apply to. They do not require GRE.
For Loma Linda: You can increase your chances by stating you are an adventist (minimum requirements will be lower and if everything else is even they will accept an adventist). They also look at the last 60-100 units GPA only (not sure if it is helpful or not in your case).
St Augustine I believe has higher requirements for GRE?

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA GPA: 2.60
post-bach: 4.00
PTCAS GPA: 2.84 (had a couple of tough semesters, so I retook classes to improve my pre-req GPA)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.45-3.80 (depending on school)
GRE: 149 math, 140 verbal, 4.0 essay

internship: restore wellness PT clinic as an intern
work: lead PT tech for outpatient/sports med PT clinic, behavioral aide for kids with autism
extra curric: transfer camp counselor, aggie recruiter, PT society member, photography club,
awards: dean's list, president's list, NSCS member
volunteer: twins city missions, big event, relay for life,
observation hours: over 2800 hours from 8 different settings
LOR: 2 PT's, 1 supervisor/PT from work, 1 chem 2 professor

Applied: UNTHSC, SMU, Bellarmine, St.Augustine-Austin campus, UI-chicago, PCOM-georgia, Rosalind Franklin, East Tennessee State, Shenandoah, OU, Creighton, UCF, University of Delaware, William Carey, Emory and Henry College, Western Michigan

Interviewed: Western Michigan (11/14)

Waitlisted: Western Michigan (11/20)

Rejected: UNTHSC (10/9), Creighton (10/9), Shenandoah (12/6)

Accepted:

Last edited:
PTCAS GPA: 2.84 (had a couple of tough semesters, so I retook classes to improve my pre-req GPA)

work: lead PT tech for outpatient/sports med PT clinic, behavioral aide for kids with autism
extra curric: transfer camp counselor, aggie recruiter, PT society member, photography club,

Applied: UNTHSC, SMU, Bellarmine, St.Augustine-Austin campus, UI-chicago, PCOM-georgia, Rosalind Franklin, East Tennessee State, Shenandoah, OU, Creighton, UCF, University of Delaware, William Carey, Emory and Henry College, Western Michigan

Interviewed: Western Michigan (11/14)

Rejected: UNTHSC (10/9), Creighton (10/9)

Any word back from Western Michigan ?

As in if the students who got accepted didn’t pay their deposit on time or decided to not go to that school anymore then the admissions committee goes through the waitlist and call you to offer a seat in the program. I heard that most students who got waitlisted are more likely to get in, but fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Hello! I wanted to add to this thread because I have received acceptances and interview invites even with my low stats. I want to say that I went to community college right after high school, I was there for 3 years and had a 2.9 GPA when I transferred to UC Irvine. I graduated from UCI with a 3.75 in December 2017. I spent a year after graduating completing pre-requisite courses and retaking classes to boost my pGPA at community college. Which takes us through 2018. In beginning of 2019 I started on my hours. I submitted all my apps September 30th. I just wanted to add context before I share my stats because as you can tell from my story, I was a very non-traditional student with a low GPA who really had to take her time getting everything right.

GRE: 154V, 149Q, 4.0W

*Cumulative GPA: 3.34
*Post-Bac GPA: 3.92
*Science GPA: 2.98

*GPA's as reported by PTCAS*

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I wanted to add to this thread because I have received acceptances and interview invites even with my low stats. I want to say that I went to community college right after high school, I was there for 3 years and had a 2.9 GPA when I transferred to UC Irvine. I graduated from UCI with a 3.75 in December 2017. I spent a year after graduating completing pre-requisite courses and retaking classes to boost my pGPA at community college. Which takes us through 2018. In beginning of 2019 I started on my hours. I submitted all my apps September 30th. I just wanted to add context before I share my stats because as you can tell from my story, I was a very non-traditional student with a low GPA who really had to take her time getting everything right.

GRE: 154V, 149Q, 4.0W

*Cumulative GPA: 3.34
*Post-Bac GPA: 3.92
*Science GPA: 2.98

*GPA's as reported by PTCAS*
Where did you apply/receive interviews and acceptances from?

Where did you apply/receive interviews and acceptances from?

I applied to CSU Fresno, CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, Western University of Health Sciences, West Coast University, Chapman University (both cohorts), Loma Linda University, University of St. Augustine (Summer 2020), UNLV, and South College

Accepted: University of St. Augustine (Summer 2020) & South College (June 2020)

Interview granted: South College (interviewed on 10/30/19), University of St. Augustine (interviewed on 11/5/19), Fresno State (interview is on 2/1/20), WesternU (interview is on 1/30/20)

just commenting to add hope for those that have lower GPA.

cGPA: 2.6
post BACC: 3.8
ptcas gpa: 2.99
GRE: 154V 146Q 4.0W

First year applying 2017, applied to 5 schools. interviewed at 2: Mercy college in New York and St. Augustine in San Diego. was accepted to both. declined to save up for school. applied this year 2019 early decision to A.T.S.U accepted and will be attending summer 2020. for those with low GPA don't give up hope. you can't go back and correct your undergrad GPA all you can do is control what is ahead of you. i.e. retaking prerequisites etc. also look for other ways to exceed and stand out. I myself had showing at 6-7 different physical therapy settings, I had great LOR's and dedicated my time not in school or at work to volunteering. not all of us are terrific students but that doesn't mean you can't be a terrific PT and SPT. If anyone has any questions or is looking for advice feel free to shoot a dm on IG @CARTIERCRUZ253 or send me an email @ [email protected]. Also there is plenty of valuable information on this forum as well as other platforms such as podcast IG accounts dedicated to helping pre-PT students get accepted into school. one of my vaporize podcast is Graditude spelt according give it a listen if you have time it has great content!

Reactions: 6 users
I completely agree with @futuredpt253! If you have some less than stellar grades in your prerequisite coursework, try to find a way around it. For example, I had taken a Bio series when I first began college. I got a C in the first part of it and a B in the second part of it. That C was really weighing my pGPA down. So, I looked up what classes satisfy the "Bio" prerequisite for programs and saw that Microbiology counts. I had never taken Micro before as it was not needed for my major, so I took it and got an A in it. Therefore, when school's are doing their own calculations for GPA I know they're counting my Micro grade and the B from the second part of the original Bio series. I also had received a B in Statistics, so I took a different kind of Statistics and got an A. I forgot what I took originally, maybe Business Statistics, but I replaced that grade (at least for when the program's do their calculations) with Psych Statistics. Any grade that I could offset with another class, I did! Because usually you can't just retake a class if you got a B or C in it. Having these poor grades initially are why my calculated GPA's are fairly low on PTCAS. But I know when program's receive my application they are noticing my grade trend and the effort I have put in into retaking or replacing as many classes as I can. I hope that helps! You can always reach out to me personally on here or @coolsharrybro on Instagram! :)

Post Bacc GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 3.09-3.4 (Depending on whether school takes highest or avg's both grades)

Volunteer/ Observation Hrs: 415 (outpatient), 30 (inpatient), currently working as PT tech with 320 hrs as of right now

Applied: Breanu U, Midwestern-Glendale, Rocky Mountain U, USA-Miami, Winston Salem U, UMHB

Applying: Breanu U, Midwestern - Glendale U, Rocky Mountain U, University of Oklahoma, Univ. of St. Aug - Miami, West Coast U, Winston Salem U, Arkansas St, Southwest Baptist U, Hardin-Simmons U,

Rejections: Midwestern-Glendale..
Add WSSU to the list of denials

UPDATE!
-Another interview invite to Emory and Henry
-Rejected to UIC
-Waitlisted at Samuel Merritt

Applied: UNTHSC, Samuel Merritt, Bellarmine, St.Augustine-Austin campus, UIC, PCOM-georgia campus, Rosalind Franklin, East Tennessee State, Shenandoah, OU, Creighton, UCF, University of Delaware, William Carey, Emory and Henry College, Western Michigan

Interviewed: Western Michigan (11/14), Emory and Henry (1/17), PCOM-georgia campus (2/7)

Waitlisted: Western Michigan (11/20), Samuel Merritt (1/7)

Rejected: UNTHSC (10/9), Creighton (10/9), Shenandoah (12/6), UIC (12/12)

Accepted:

Last edited:
Commenting cause I have similar stats, and in the same boat too!
Gre: 141V, 150Q 3.0A (took it 3 times)
PTCAS Cgpa: 3.39
Pgpa: 3.307 - 3.442
Observation Hours: 190hrs
LOR: 2 DPTs,1 Employer, 1 pharmacist

Other Experience: pharmaceuticals ~5000hrs, pre-physical therapy club, church volunteer 800hrs

Applying Fall 2020: USA-SanMarcos, Loma Linda, RockyMountainU, WingateU, ATStill, Midwestern-Glendale, West Coast University, Regis, UHMB, CampbellU, PCOM

Acceptances:

Rejections: RockyMountainU (reason: GRE too low), Regis (reason: GRE too low)

Interviews: USA (2/11)
Waitlist (cohort filled): Midwestern-Glendale, ATStill

STIFFMOVEMENT: I'm trying to change my career from pharmacy also. Were you a CPhT? How was your experience in application as a Pharm professional? (Personal statement, interview, etc.)
I solely applied to Midwestern (IL) right on the deadline in December, but the adviser said that there will be 2 more interviews in February and March. So I'm not sure how that work when they are still doing the interview?

Also wanted to add here that i didn't have the best overall stats especially in prereqs but have had 4 solid acceptances, 6 waitlists and only 1 solid rejection! I graduated in may 2019 with a overall gpa of 3.75 (but I got a C in both anatomy 1 and 2, a C in bio 2, and failed exercise physiology the first time i took it.. which i thought would give me no hope as these classes are essential foundations for PT) and a Ptcas science gpa of 3.15. Aside from the writing my GRE was very average (150v 155q and 5.0 writing) i had about 450 shadow hours across 2 settings, 1 in patient and 1 outpatient. I was expecting almost all rejections but was accepted and waitlisted to some amazing programs so all i'm saying is don't give up!!

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE!
-Another interview invite to Emory and Henry
-Rejected to UIC
-Waitlisted at Samuel Merritt
Hi, I also interviewed at Emory and Henry. May I ask how you interviewed after the group interviews on 1/11? Did you have to reschedule or did they have another set of interviews?

I had to reschedule. It all depending on what situation it is, the head chair can either accept or decline a reschedule. Luckily, they let me. I got two faculty members interviewing me in their office and had a campus tour.

Hi, I also interviewed at Emory and Henry. May I ask how you interviewed after the group interviews on 1/11? Did you have to reschedule or did they have another set of interviews?

Also wanted to add here that i didn't have the best overall stats especially in prereqs but have had 4 solid acceptances, 6 waitlists and only 1 solid rejection! I graduated in may 2019 with a overall gpa of 3.75 (but I got a C in both anatomy 1 and 2, a C in bio 2, and failed exercise physiology the first time i took it.. which i thought would give me no hope as these classes are essential foundations for PT) and a Ptcas science gpa of 3.15. Aside from the writing my GRE was very average (150v 155q and 5.0 writing) i had about 450 shadow hours across 2 settings, 1 in patient and 1 outpatient. I was expecting almost all rejections but was accepted and waitlisted to some amazing programs so all i'm saying is don't give up!!

Do you mind sharing where you were accepted/waitlisted?

Do you mind sharing where you were accepted/waitlisted?
Sure!
Accepted- George Washington University, Drexel, U of Vermont, and U of Illinois Chicago
Waitlisted- Columbia, MGH, Boston University, Mercer University, MUSC, and LIU Brooklyn
Invited to interview but didn't attend: Emory, Stonybrook
Reject- NYU

Sure!
Accepted- George Washington University, Drexel, U of Vermont, and U of Illinois Chicago
Waitlisted- Columbia, MGH, Boston University, Mercer University, MUSC, and LIU Brooklyn
Invited to interview but didn't attend: Emory, Stonybrook
Reject- NYU

Wow, congrats!

Did you retake any of those classes that you got a C in? Also, did you have any extracurriculars that you feel really made you a strong applicant?

Wow, congrats!

Did you retake any of those classes that you got a C in? Also, did you have any extracurriculars that you feel really made you a strong applicant?
I considered it especially because i did take a gap year, but i did not retake any classes. I minored one public health and got mostly As in all my other classes which is how my overall gpa is pretty high.

As far as extracurriculars go, i was a university101 peer leader teacher which is pretty unique, i graduated with leadership distinction, i did a 3 week sports medicine study abroad class, i was in AED which is all pre health students, in the exercise science club, and was in a sorority. I also worked 2 jobs all of undergrad so i was very involved and i think that helped show that i am well rounded even with a few C’s on my transcript. I also think my ptcas essay was a big influencer as it was brought up in all of my interviews and wasn’t a basic “i got injured and did pt/played sports my whole life and that’s why i want to enter this field” story. Don’t overlook the essay it’s important!

Just to give hope for those with low stats! It's possible! :)

UPDATE!
-waitlisted at Emory and Henry
-rejected by UCF
-another interview invite at PCOM-georgia campus

University: Texas A&M
Major: BS - Kinesiology
cGPA GPA: 2.60 (before retakes)
post-bach GPA: 4.00
PTCAS GPA: 2.84 (retook classes to improve my pre-req GPA after couple rough semesters)

Internship: restore wellness PT clinic as an intern
Work: lead PT tech for outpatient PT clinic, behavioral aide for kids with autism
Extra curric: transfer camp counselor, aggie recruiter, PT society member, photography club,
Awards: dean's list, president's list, NSCS member
Volunteer: twins city missions, big event, relay for life,
Observation hours: over 2800 hours from 8 different settings

Applied: UNTHSC, SMU, Bellarmine, St.Augustine-Austin campus, UI-Chicago, PCOM-Georgia campus, Rosalind Franklin, East Tennessee State, Shenandoah, OU, Creighton, UCF, University of Delaware, William Carey, Emory and Henry College, Western Michigan

Interviewed: Western Michigan (11/14), Emory and Henry (1/17), PCOM-Georgia campus (2/7)

Waitlisted: Western Michigan (11/20), SMU (1/7), Emory and Henry (1/31)

Rejected: UNTHSC (10/9), Creighton (10/9), Shenandoah (12/6), UI-Chicago (12/12), UCF (1/31)

Accepted:

Update:

I found out I got rejected from PCOM-Georgia campus a week after my interview. I know rejections happen, but not like this. I thought I did well in my interview and felt like they liked me. I emailed the chair and the admissions office to see what I need to improve on for the next cycle, but this hurts so bad.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Update:

I found out I got rejected from PCOM-Georgia campus a week after my interview. I know rejections happen, but not like this. I thought I did well in my interview and felt like they liked me. I emailed the chair and the admissions office to see what I need to improve on for the next cycle, but this hurts so bad.

Rejections hurt, sorry.
I would not give up hope. When my son applied, he was accepted by one program before the holidays, and then another in January. This required him to call the first school and forfeit his deposit, and opened up another slot for someone else. He was also rejected by ~ 5 programs and waitlisted at ~5 programs.

Here’s the part I really want you to focus on - at least 3 of the “waitlist” programs ultimately offered him a spot. These offers came in April/May, pretty last minute, in some cases just weeks before classes started.

I am CERTAIN spots will open at programs where you’re waitlisted. I’m also CERTAIN some of those spots will be offered and rejected by applicants near the top of the waitlist, causing additional delay, but creating opportunities for others. I recognize it’s horrible waiting. Stay strong.

Reactions: 5 users
I figure I would also comment since I have a very similar story to some of you.

College: UVA
GPA: 2.8 (3.1 after getting a 4.0 in a two year post-bac program.)
Major: Sociology
GRE: 157 Verbal 150 Math 4.0 Writing
Applied: Emory and Henry
Interviews: Emory and Henry
Accepted: Emory and Henry
Rejections: None
Waitlists: None

I graduated in 2017 and directly enrolled in a post bac and took 90% of my pre-reqs during that time period. I retook chemistry 3 times during my 6 years in college and did very poorly in Phys 1 and 2. I truly think that for many, doing a Post-bac is an opportunity to show graduate schools that you are committed and can adequately prepare for their programs. Post-bac programs aren't as common as I thought they would be but if you truly feel like all hope is lost, then it may be better to revamp your grades and gpa this way. It takes longer (I am going to be 25 when I start PT school), but in my eyes this was the greatest choice to do. Plus many Post-bac programs aren't cohort programs and you can take as little or as long as you need to finish.

If anyone has any questions as all, feel free to message me.

Undergrad Major: Psychology B.S., Minor Kinesiology.
I changed majors from biology to psychology & changed my minor from chemistry to kinesiology so I took 6yrs to graduate undergrad 2013-2019.
Gre: combined 291 141V, 150Q 3.0A (thrice attempts)
PTCAS Cgpa: 3.39
PTCAS sciencegpa: 3.02
Pgpa: 3.3
Observation Hours: 190hrs
LOR: 2 DPTs,1 Employer, 1 pharmacist
Other Experience: pre-physical therapy club, church volunteer 800hrs
Applying Fall 2020: USA-SanMarcos, Loma Linda, RockyMountainU, ATStill, Midwestern-Glendale, West Coast, Regis, Wingate, Western,FGCU,AdventHealth
Acceptances: USA (2/19)
Rejections: RockyMountainU, Regis, Loma Linda, West Coast, FGCU, Advent, Western,
Interviews: USA (2/11)
Waitlist (cohort filled): Midwestern-Glendale, ATStill
Attending: USA.

Don't give up!!!!!
I applied to 11 schools! 8 Rejections, 2 waitlist, 1 acceptance.

Honestly, this thread makes me feel a lot better...

Undergraduate at USMA: BS in Psychology
Graduate at AMU: MA in Psychology
Undergraduate GPA: 2.73
Graduate GPA: 3.88
GRE: 155V, 150Q, 5.0 Writing
Current PTCAS GPA (without any retakes): 2.73

I was considering a post-bacc, but I won’t have the time/money to commit to that type of program, so I’ll be taking classes at a community college to boost my very abysmal science GPA and show that I can handle higher level science and math classes. On the plus side, there is an upward trend on my GPA after first semester sophomore year. Unfortunately, since I was psychology major, my math / science courses stopped after that period which is when I figured out my life and how to study effectively. Even with the retakes, my chances will be pretty small. I am definitely looking at my options and limiting myself to the places where I have a sniff at a chance. I’m excited though! Also, I am retaking all of the math and science classes since they will be over five years old when I start my applications.

The only wins I see currently are the GRE and my graduate school GPA. Other than that, it’s looking rough.

One question: I understand that all grades on the transcript have to be used to calculate my GPA. Did anyone have classes that were offered as pass/fail? They were not prerequisite courses and are courses that are unique to where I went to school, so I am not sure how to account for them on a GPA calculator.