a question regarding carribean schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright i heard great things about st.george, but one of my friend mentioned how you need to take a foreign grad test or something before you take the USMLE'S. Is that true...do us American graduates have to take any additional tests in comparison to American medical schools? If so does it only apply to certain caribbean schools or all of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Not true.

You are required to take Step 1, 2 (both parts) and 3.

YEARS ago, there was an additional requirement that has since been removed and worked into one of the step 2's.

McGillGrad said:
Not true.

YEARS ago, there was an additional requirement that has since been removed and worked into one of the step 2's.

This is only partly true, you do have to pass the OCT if you want to get off any island in the caribbean. The OCT (obsticle course test) is very similar to the challenges you see on Survivor, where only the winner gets to become a physician in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sundarban1 said:
This is only partly true, you do have to pass the OCT if you want to get off any island in the caribbean. The OCT (obsticle course test) is very similar to the challenges you see on Survivor, where only the winner gets to become a physician in the US.

I almost forgot. This is not the easiest part, but it is pretty fun.

Sundarban1 said:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi I have been accepted to some new carribean schools. these schools offer about a year and a half theory component done in Dominica and then clinical rotations will be in the States.

The one MD school I am considering is in Dominica, it is not Ross. What is the disadvantages of that? What are the things I should look into to make sure I can get residency in the US and in the future get licensed? Basically what I am asking is what types of accreditation should I looking for?

I would appreciate help as I am a Canadian and am new to this process.
Thanks.

Just Thinkin' said:
Hi I have been accepted to some new carribean schools. these schools offer about a year and a half theory component done in Dominica and then clinical rotations will be in the States.

The one MD school I am considering is in Dominica, it is not Ross. What is the disadvantages of that? What are the things I should look into to make sure I can get residency in the US and in the future get licensed? Basically what I am asking is what types of accreditation should I looking for?

Thanks.

If you are thinking seriously about off shore schools, visit valuemd.com, which is another forum where a majority of the caribbean pre meds and students post.

There is a fine line between sarcasm and stupidity dont pay any attention to these kids on here. If you are going to go to an off shore med school it would be better if the school is established like Ross or SGU. At least you can look at previous USMLE's scores and residencies plus you can talk to alumni abt how well they were prepared and etc.... With a new school it's too risky no background, no one to answer your questions except for administrative folks. Its your call.

McGillGrad said:
Not true.

Thank you..that really helps. All my friends were scaring me about how i have to take additional tests to become eligible for practising medicine in America.

Lamborghini1315 said:
Thank you..that really helps. All my friends were scaring me about how i have to take additional tests to become eligible for practising medicine in America.

It always makes me laugh when people who do not know much about a subject try to scare you away from trying something different.

If you are American, then you have to take all of the same exams that they do. Canadians are required to take the steps (1,2,3) slightly differently and have to deal with a couple visa issues, but even that is not a huge deal for someone who is determined.

phisigman03 said:
There is a fine line between sarcasm and stupidity dont pay any attention to these kids on here.

You need to stop being so uptight. Stress is killer!

McGillGrad said:
You need to stop being so uptight. Stress is killer!

No, not even close. On forums like this or valueMD people are curious and would like an honest and sincere response not some dumba** remarks. I know its funny and all but only to a certain limitation.

phisigman03 said:
No, not even close. On forums like this or valueMD people are curious and would like an honest and sincere response not some dumba** remarks. I know its funny and all but only to a certain limitation.

From one dumb@$$ to another..

Members don't see this ad :)
Just Thinkin' said:

Thanks.

There's another school in Dominica?

Willow said:
Hey, you stole my joke! :smuggrin:

Sorry, you weren't around!

I should have sourced you somehow, next time!

Sundarban1 said:

I thought it was a Drug and Alcohol test ? Now another! :confused: :eek:

SGU has there own test that is supposed to be comparable to the USMLE step 1. They require that you pass this before attempting step 1. This is there way of ensuring they get hight pass rates.

Your friends might have confused this with a standardized test. As far as I know none of the other big schools have anything like this.

Just Thinkin' said:

Thanks.

You need to make sure what country it is your going to first. Dominica has one medical school on it. Its called Ross.

You could be going to Dominican republic. That is a whole different country all together. DON'T BUY THAT TICKET YET.

Go to mapquest look up the island you will be attending medical school in.

To answer your basic question, you have to pass usmle step 1, 2, 3, you should be able to do all rotations in United states acgme accredited residency programs. If you do all of the above you should get into a residency somewhere in the United States.

Is TOEFL still required. I did well, but completed my English studies while at Dartmouth. As a USIMG I was a little perturbed at having to sit the test for ECFFMG certification. The cost was low so I could not complain.