A rant for this morning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunlioness

Fierce. Proud. Strong
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Credentialing paperwork can go do stuff to itself. Seriously. Why do I have to fill out multiple packets with the same info that's already on my CV?

I could also rant about contracts that require maintaining board certification because I think I'm really so over all that (along with some of the biggest names in medicine), but I imagine that's a tough sell.

Alright. I'm done.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. I'm changing jobs in order to move back East. Think I'll like the job better even though the salaries are lower in that part of the country while the cost of living is higher. But I'll have a salary and not be on RVU-production anymore, so I'm rather stoked about that (I think RVU-based salaries penalize outpatient clinicians). But I'm thoroughly not stoked that they can fire me if I don't remain board certified. Especially since it's really not fair. My new boss is filling that requirement automatically by having been initially certified before the rules changed. How does he stay worthy of being board certified and therefore not be fired when I don't? Does the year he certified automatically make him a better clinician?

Dumb.

I think it's reasonable to require that people become board certified. Not all that reasonable to require that they maintain it. Especially since it can't apply equally across physician-employees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They should end the grandfathering of board certification. Makes no sense.

Reactions: 4 users
NBPAS board certification is being accepted by some as sufficient to meet "board certification" requirements. Did you ask to see if they would accept it? Much more reasonable in terms of requirements and $$$.

Reactions: 2 users
Credentialing paperwork can go do stuff to itself. Seriously. Why do I have to fill out multiple packets with the same info that's already on my CV?

I could also rant about contracts that require maintaining board certification because I think I'm really so over all that (along with some of the biggest names in medicine), but I imagine that's a tough sell.

Alright. I'm done.

Congrats on the new job, SL! Yep, credentialing paperwork seems to be about the most tedious, time wasting stuff ever. I bet the executive types at the hospital don't mess with that. About board certification, good luck to anyone enforcing a clause like that with the current shortages in our field. I moonlight at a hospital that decided to terminate their contract with a psychiatrist group due to pay disputes. So far, it looks like hiring has been really difficult, and they're still doing locums to fill spots. We're not that easy to replace these days. Of course I'm expecting some old white dude (or wanna be old white dude) who likely paid very little for medical school and is, yes, grandfathered in for board certification to expect us to feel some shame or doubt about having the ability to ask for what we want, including pay and hey maybe not putting up with the BS that is MOC.

So timely! I just wasted 2 hours and 45 minutes at the end of the work day finishing the application paperwork for a hospital. They required a CV and also required that the same information and more be printed or typed (who owns a typewriter??!) onto their 15 page form. The worst parts of the form were the "Healthcare Affiliations" versus "Work History" sections; somebody determined that it was critical for me to hand-print address, 4 contact numbers, supervisor, contact person, job title...excess detail in both sections, even though I think that "Healthcare Affiliations" was really asking about the one hospital where I've ever had admitting privileges. Plus the part where they wanted me to list credit by credit every source of CME's in the past two years, specifically disallowing "see attached." And then requesting "case or procedure documentation for the prior two years." I don't even know what this means in psychiatry, but I am hoping they are impressed with the nice spreadsheets that tally my sessions by CPT codes. Also very important to know who my "program director" was for the BA degree I earned in 1996. And wasting the money on VeriDoc (WA state refuses to provide that information themselves about license holders) when I thought the NPI number was supposed to eliminate the need for state by state checks on our histories.

It's enough to make me reconsider going into unreliable private practice in the new location.

Reactions: 3 users
NBPAS board certification is being accepted by some as sufficient to meet "board certification" requirements. Did you ask to see if they would accept it? Much more reasonable in terms of requirements and $$$.
You have to pass the exam first before being certified by NBPAS is my understanding.... :(

So timely! I just wasted 2 hours and 45 minutes at the end of the work day finishing the application paperwork for a hospital. They required a CV and also required that the same information and more be printed or typed (who owns a typewriter??!) onto their 15 page form. The worst parts of the form were the "Healthcare Affiliations" versus "Work History" sections; somebody determined that it was critical for me to hand-print address, 4 contact numbers, supervisor, contact person, job title...excess detail in both sections, even though I think that "Healthcare Affiliations" was really asking about the one hospital where I've ever had admitting privileges. Plus the part where they wanted me to list credit by credit every source of CME's in the past two years, specifically disallowing "see attached." And then requesting "case or procedure documentation for the prior two years." I don't even know what this means in psychiatry, but I am hoping they are impressed with the nice spreadsheets that tally my sessions by CPT codes. Also very important to know who my "program director" was for the BA degree I earned in 1996. And wasting the money on VeriDoc (WA state refuses to provide that information themselves about license holders) when I thought the NPI number was supposed to eliminate the need for state by state checks on our histories.

It's enough to make me reconsider going into unreliable private practice in the new location.

I wouldn't work there. They can fill it out for you.... plenty of other jobs available.

Reactions: 1 user
So it looks like Larry Faulkner is grandfathered in and yet does voluntary recertification. I guess that's nice.

Don't get too wound up on that. I'm sure he doesn't do any studying and doesn't need to 'study' for any further exams while the foundation is paying for his CME and other activities related to MOC.