a recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I asked a professor to write me a rec around January 15th and told him the deadline for a program I am applying to is February 10th or so. He said he would have no problem with it, and would do it ASAP, but the letter still isn't in. Other professors whom I asked later than him have already submitted the letters, and I was wondering, what would be a polite way to check up on the letter or make sure he was doing it? An email, and if so, what should I say? I just don't want to seem like a pest because he IS doing me a favor, but I need that letter. Any advice would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

hey camisho,

A friendly reminder is definately a good idea........I was totally in the same situation when I was trying to rally up my LOR's for my secondaries.

Instead of writing them to directly remind them, i chose to write them a thank you email, telling them how much I appreciate them taking time out of their busy schedule to write the letter (even if they hadn't written it). If you play it smart, you could sneak in a small reminder of when you need the letter (I told them about how the apps where coming and when I'd like to have them sent off).

A lot of times, these prof's are sooooo busy, that it just slips their mind.....a friendly reminder like this (without it being a direct, "WTF dude? where's my letter") may be just what they need to remember to get it done. THis worked like a charm for me, and hopefully it'll do the same for you!!!!! :horns:

Send him a thank you card...that will guilt him into writing the letter ASAP

All my best,
BonBon

Instead of emailing, call. Start out by giving him a run down of the whole process. Dr. So-so-and-so, ...pleasantries....I am so glad I caught you in the office...The whole application process has been so frantic....Got an interview here (list), got some reminders for letters there (lsit)...
Then: I know I havent asked before, but you are endorsing my aplication, and I am sure you have assisted many successful studens before...I was wondring if you have any advise....
Oh, thank you, I worship the ground you walk on....
FINALLY: The letter. Make him promise a date
Wind up by saying something to the tune of: Well, my application is waiting on your letter, in the sweetest way you can think of.
What does the approach do?
A. Prevents you from stalking him for a reply.
B Draws writer in...He has to think to give you advise, and once his cortex gets more involved than his wrist, he will be more apt to remember
C. If he hasnt delivered because he really doesnt have much to write, now he has more
D. You get to be more friendly with him (hopefully), and maybe he restructures the letter and sends it immediately, or doesnt feel as conflicted over soemthign eh wrote.