a request

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paaricmc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i m an indian mbbs graduate planning to do pathology in the us.i ve taken the steps for the 2006 match.i ve also cleared the indian pg entrance and have landed m.d path in JIPMER(Pondicherry).
if its not too much trouble could u please guide me on whether i should come over to the us right now or later after the 3 yr course over here.people in india have mixed ideas bout the potential pros and cons.they also say its difficult getting into a path residency in the us these days.im pretty much confused... :confused:
much obliged
thank you
paari.

Members don't see this ad.

paaricmc said:
hi
i m an indian mbbs graduate planning to do pathology in the us.i ve taken the steps for the 2006 match.i ve also cleared the indian pg entrance and have landed m.d path in JIPMER(Pondicherry).
if its not too much trouble could u please guide me on whether i should come over to the us right now or later after the 3 yr course over here.people in india have mixed ideas bout the potential pros and cons.they also say its difficult getting into a path residency in the us these days.im pretty much confused... :confused:
much obliged
thank you
paari.

I cannot comment on the issue of whether or not you should stay in India, but while Pathology has become more competitive it is not considered a difficult match overall except at the top tier programs.

If you want to come to the US and be a Pathologist here... then doing a Path MD in India is almost a total waste of time.
You should decide whether you want to have an Indian MD, or an American MD and do that one...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dramkinola is correct of course. If you wish to practice in the US, then apply as soon as you are able to for a US residency. However, if you wish to stay in India or practice in both countries then perhaps the additional training in India would be appropriate assuming that a US residency is not sufficient training to practice in your home country.

Kimberli Cox said:
Dramkinola is correct of course. If you wish to practice in the US, then apply as soon as you are able to for a US residency. However, if you wish to stay in India or practice in both countries then perhaps the additional training in India would be appropriate assuming that a US residency is not sufficient training to practice in your home country.

JIPMER is prestigious, but only in India. In the US, it will not count for a whole lot unless you get a PD who is from India. I would say, take your seat at JIPMER and then try for the US in the next match. If you get it, just leave India and come here. Remember, US residencies don't give you any credit for what you did overseas. You still have to repeat everything. And trust me, the salary of a US pathologist trumps India any day.