A Residency Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am definitely going to enter the allo match and and still on the fence about the osteo match...

ANYWAY, I was told today I didn't HAVE to include my USMLE step 1 score in my RESIDENCY APPLICATION (it's passing but not worth including)...

anyone have a link or been through the match and can tell me definitively if DO's (or even regardless) if USMLE and/or COMLEX scores are reported in your app whether you like it or not?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think if you don't include your scores, that's a big red flag. The only reason I can see not including them is if they are bad, and if they are, you want to draw as little attention to them as possible.

If I recall correctly, the app does not ask if you took the usmle it just asks you for the date and score. Then you have to release the scores in a separate section. I know several people who did not include their usmle scores - they just left the section blank and did not fill out the transcript release for the nbme. Either because they failed it or did not do as well as they had hoped
It is a personal choice if you want to release it or not, you were not required to take it for licensing.
I included mine becuase it was a better score. If it is not terrible I would probably suggest you include it for your own peace of mind. It seems like it could be construed as dishonest even if it is technically not dishonest - just look at the previous post!

Members don't see this ad :)
ya it is bad... there's no flag to be raised if there's no way they can find out if I even took it.

Compared to others, if the most dishonest thing I did my entire time in med school was tell someone I didn't take a test I took then I think I did pretty well anyway.

sorry I asked this in another thread, but then i found this discussion. I passed both COMLEX and USMLE 1, but rocked the COMLEX and only two points above average on the USMLE. I could report the USMLE but I'm afraid it would detract from my other kick a$$ score. I'm not thinking about radiology or something really competative, but I am only applying allo. So I want to increase my chances of getting an interview as much as possible, but don't want to get asked "Did you take the USMLE" and have to decide whether to tell or not. Any comments?

AwesomeO-DO said:
sorry I asked this in another thread, but then i found this discussion. I passed both COMLEX and USMLE 1, but rocked the COMLEX and only two points above average on the USMLE. I could report the USMLE but I'm afraid it would detract from my other kick a$$ score. I'm not thinking about radiology or something really competative, but I am only applying allo. So I want to increase my chances of getting an interview as much as possible, but don't want to get asked "Did you take the USMLE" and have to decide whether to tell or not. Any comments?

Say you took the USMLE to practice for your COMLEX (and hope that your test dates reflect that) :laugh:

AwesomeO-DO said:

Dont say anything about it unless asked. IF ASKED SAY: "yes i took the usmle, but since my score wasnt reflective of my ability/what I thought I could do, I elected not to report it" I wouldnt lie, Im not sure they couldnt find out.

Idiopathic said:
Dont say anything about it unless asked. IF ASKED SAY: "yes i took the usmle, but since my score wasnt reflective of my ability/what I thought I could do, I elected not to report it" I wouldnt lie, Im not sure they couldnt find out.
i agree. the only reason I can think of holding back my USMLE score is the idea that some places have a cut off score for who is invited for an interview. If my score is above that for the majority of places, then no problem, I'd put it on my ERAS app. But if there was a chance that I wouldn't make the cut, I could just leave it out, show them my great COMLEX score, and hope that gets me the interview. Then during the interview, if they ask about USMLE scores, I could just play the "I didn't know you needed it" card, but I would probably tell them my score anyway

I have heard other students who did it that way: they didn't report their USMLE score, but did COMLEX and just said when asked about it that it didn't show a true reflection of their medical knowledge base. I don't know if on your application it says you took the USMLE, so you may want to find that out. I know some programs honestly don't care what you got on the USMLE if your COMLEX is high since that is what we are more prepared for, but if you don't show your USMLE score they wonder "what you are hiding". All depends on the program I suppose, but if their is one thing I've learned, most places really care more about if they like you, you work hard, and you are dependable, and less and less about if you got 782 on your COMLEX or a 250 on your USMLE............unless you are going derm of course :laugh:

if asked you can say you passed the USMLE step I and that you don't remember the score. Add in that you would be happy to forward the score to them.

That sounds pretty kosher.

I'll bring the scores with me, heck if I made it as far as the interview room I've bypassed the "board score weeding system" and hopefully everything else will finally start to weigh in on my application...

OK so I started my online ERAS application and I have one more question:

-I see that there is a section where you can REQUEST both COMLEX and USMLE transcript. I obviously will be requesting a COMLEX transcript but I was wondering that IF I request a USMLE transcript do my USMLE scores automatically get sent to everyone I apply to or is it really only if I click the CHECK BOX that says "SEND USMLE SCORES" when I select a program?

I ask because I only want to send my USMLE scores to the programs that absolutely require it.

My second question is if I submit COMLEX transcript now will my step 2 scores automatically be sent to ERAS when they come back and automatically forwarded to programs or will I have to re-request a COMLEX transcript for when the scores come back and manually re-transmit something?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
H0mersimps0n said:
OK so I started my online ERAS application and I have one more question:

-I see that there is a section where you can REQUEST both COMLEX and USMLE transcript. I obviously will be requesting a COMLEX transcript but I was wondering that IF I request a USMLE transcript do my USMLE scores automatically get sent to everyone I apply to or is it really only if I click the CHECK BOX that says "SEND USMLE SCORES" when I select a program?

I ask because I only want to send my USMLE scores to the programs that absolutely require it.

My second question is if I submit COMLEX transcript now will my step 2 scores automatically be sent to ERAS when they come back and automatically forwarded to programs or will I have to re-request a COMLEX transcript for when the scores come back and manually re-transmit something?

Thanks!

I would do only the COMLEX, and then check with the school to see if they get a copy of the USMLE (I know that they get a copy of the COMLEX). If they do and a place asks, have them (the school) send a copy or fax of your scores to the appropriate person in the program.

Wook

I'm like 99% sure our school always gets a copy of our scores COMLEX and USMLE.

I think I SHOULD be ok if I have ERAS get both transcripts and it will be easier to parse out who I do and don't want to send USMLE scores too- I just wanted to see if anyone has done it this way/ it's ok to do that...

Sorry I'm a little late to this discussion.

-DOs only have to report board scores that led to their board certification (in other words, only the COMLEX).

-The only way you would need to report a USMLE score is if your residency program requires that you take the USMLE.

-You have the option of auto-updating your USMLE steps as you take them.

-You do NOT have the option of auto-updating COMLEX scores. You'll need to prompt the release of your COMLEX step IIs by contacting the NBOME.

I've looked on FREIDA to see which of the progams I am interested in will accept the COMLEX or require USMLE, and since they are all allopathic they don't mention the COMLEX. Is there a searchable database that would give me this info?

I've noticed that many programs don't even update FRIEDA... I'm starting to think I'm going to have to e-mail each program individually... OYE

AwesomeO-DO said:
I've looked on FREIDA to see which of the progams I am interested in will accept the COMLEX or require USMLE, and since they are all allopathic they don't mention the COMLEX. Is there a searchable database that would give me this info?

I ended up calling the programs that I was very interested in and asking them. By the time the application process started, I just applied to any program I was interested in. I can't see a way to check it program. I ended up thinking that any program that wouldn't look at the COMLEX really didn't want a DO.

Wook

VentdependenT said:
if asked you can say you passed the USMLE step I and that you don't remember the score. Add in that you would be happy to forward the score to them.

That sounds pretty kosher.

Thats crappy advice. Then why would they trust you remembering lab values?
How can you forget a score such as this?! That is what they will think at least.

ndspider said:
Thats crappy advice. Then why would they trust you remembering lab values?
How can you forget a score such as this?! That is what they will think at least.
I think I will omit my USMLE score, but that I will (if asked) say that I did not feel it was representative of my true ablilities, but if they want my score I would be happy to provide them with my results. That way I'm not appearing to be hiding anything.
I still think it would crappy for allopathic residiencies to ask such a question during an interview since they don't require it on ERAS

AwesomeO-DO said:
I think I will omit my USMLE score, but that I will (if asked) say that I did not feel it was representative of my true ablilities, but if they want my score I would be happy to provide them with my results. That way I'm not appearing to be hiding anything.
I still think it would crappy for allopathic residiencies to ask such a question during an interview since they don't require it on ERAS

I faced a similar dilemma when I made a 200 on Step I. I elected to take Step II early for ERAS and fortunately I did dramatically better so that my decision to report versus not report was moot. I took USMLE Step I with two classmates who both failed it and then passed the COMLEX. Both of them ended up in decent allopathic residencies.

Arch Guillotti said:
I faced a similar dilemma when I made a 200 on Step I. I elected to take Step II early for ERAS and fortunately I did dramatically better so that my decision to report versus not report was moot. I took USMLE Step I with two classmates who both failed it and then passed the COMLEX. Both of them ended up in decent allopathic residencies.
did your two classmates ever get asked during interviews if they took the USMLE? I won't be taking step II since it isn't required at any of the residencies i'm applying to, none of them are at "top programs" or in the list of really competative residencies. I'm hoping my COMLEX score gets me interviews, and that the fact I took USMLE I never comes up.

AwesomeO-DO said:
did your two classmates ever get asked during interviews if they took the USMLE? I won't be taking step II since it isn't required at any of the residencies i'm applying to, none of them are at "top programs" or in the list of really competative residencies. I'm hoping my COMLEX score gets me interviews, and that the fact I took USMLE I never comes up.

Not sure but I doubt it.