A serious event during my soph yr in college (18 yrs ago)...mention in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Once again, I seek your advice.
I had a very serious family event during my sophomore yr in college (18 yrs ago) which lead to poor performance academically for one semester and had me wandering aimlessly, taking some bull s*** classes for the following 2 yrs due to the shock of the event. Hence, it took me 7 yrs to graduate with a BS in physical therapy. I've rectified that event with the person in question and found physical therapy profession to pursue after my 2 yr wandering phase. When I finally came out of the funk and started taking prereqs for the PT program, I got 4.0 and even scored 95% in the state license exam for the California PT license.

So the question is, should I mention it in my PS to explain that one semester of bad grades, why it took me 7 yrs to graduate and how it has made me a stronger person (which is how I have written my current version of the PS and is about 1/3 of the PS) or not mention it....or brush by it? Some have told me that it was such a long time ago, I should condentrate on more current issues ie how my experiences as a PT inspired me to be a doctor etc....

As a side note, this event wasn't your typical divorce of parents...it was a much deeper issue....sought counseling at school for a few months.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

probably mention it...it depends...we would need more info unfortunatly to be able to help out...because it is possible that the event could be ooked down upon if you caused it etc....but more than likely include it

I would mention it...it's part of your story. I definitely wouldn't spend too much space on it though. I understand that you may not want to be specific in an online forum, but I would be specific and concise when you describe the experience in your PS.