a slightly different question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorsWearJorts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on retaking the August MCAT. However, I have applied to osteo schools with my current score of 29 without telling them that I am retaking the MCAT. This way, I ensure an early review of my application, and I also "hedge my bets" by ensuring that at least osteo schools will have my score of 29 set on the record in case my score decreases in August.

I imagine this plan is possible, but I am curious if anyone knows any information that I dont know- for example: the osteo schools will receive my august mcat scores even if i dont send it to them and i didnt list it on my aacomas application. I doubt this scenario, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

i am doing the same thing with my 26M ... and i'm wondering the same thing...

thanks for asking the question :)

i don't imagine there would be a problem, and i don't see how the schools would get the scores unless YOU did so through MCAT THx...

but then again, i could be wrong...

Because you have to release you scores to the DO application service, they won't know that you took the test until you send your scores to them. Now having said that, you have the option on test day to automatically send your scores to AACOMS. If you do this, all of the schools you applied to will receive this update with test scores become available. If I were in your situation, I wouldn't opt to have my scores sent automatically.

FYI, a 29 is good for DO schools and a 26 is average. (I'm sure someone will chime in saying that 26 is low for their school
rolling.gif
but that's about the national average)

Members don't see this ad :)
GatorsWearJorts said:
I am planning on retaking the August MCAT. However, I have applied to osteo schools with my current score of 29 without telling them that I am retaking the MCAT. This way, I ensure an early review of my application, and I also "hedge my bets" by ensuring that at least osteo schools will have my score of 29 set on the record in case my score decreases in August.

I imagine this plan is possible, but I am curious if anyone knows any information that I dont know- for example: the osteo schools will receive my august mcat scores even if i dont send it to them and i didnt list it on my aacomas application. I doubt this scenario, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks..

Why are you taking the MCAT again? Was your score lopsided? If you didn't have a score lower than 8 on any one section, I think you are nuts. That is, unless you are applying to Allo schools too, then this makes sense.

Kubed said:
FYI, a 29 is good for DO schools and a 26 is average. (I’m sure someone will chime in saying that 26 is low for their school
rolling.gif
but that’s about the national average)

29 is great! I got in with a 25R...!

GatorsWearJorts said:

Thanks..

I have a question along these lines as well. I just submitted my application last night. I am applying with a 24Q. I know it isn't good but I have a 3.9 GPA and lots of extracurricular activites. I plan on retaking the MCAT in August but the DO schools won't know this because there was no way of marking it on the application (at least that I know of). Is there a way to let the schools know that I plan on retaking. I don't want to be turned down with the score I currently have without having the opportunity to try again. Thanks for the help. And OP thanks for the question!

GatorsWearJorts said:

Thanks..

Are you applying to allo schools?

What is your gpa?

If the answer to the first question was no, and pending your second response, Id say you are wasting your time with a retake.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Are you applying to allo schools?

What is your gpa?

If the answer to the first question was no, and pending your second response, Id say you are wasting your time with a retake.

Yes, I am applying to allo schools as well ( I am currently waitlisted at these schools with my 29- my gpa is low) Thats why I am trying to improve my score. I know that my 29 is good for DO applications and retaking it wouldnt help me much for them, thats why I am applying there without telling them about my retake.This way they process me early and in case my score goes down, at least the DO schools have my 29 set in stone and wont find out about a lower score.

Thanks all for your responses.

GatorsWearJorts said:
Yes, I am applying to allo schools as well ( I am currently waitlisted at these schools with my 29- my gpa is low) Thats why I am trying to improve my score. I know that my 29 is good for DO applications and retaking it wouldnt help me much for them, thats why I am applying there without telling them about my retake.This way they process me early and in case my score goes down, at least the DO schools have my 29 set in stone and wont find out about a lower score.

Thanks all for your responses.

Just make sure when you take the MCAT, don't check on the option of auto score releasing.

NewNick said:
Just make sure when you take the MCAT, don't check on the option of auto score releasing.

Are you sure? I think autoscore releasing only releases it to AMCAS. Which I want it to do. I dont think it will automatically release it to AACOMAS. Thats why you have to have your scores sent to AACOMAS separately when you are filling out your app.

I too am in a similar situation with a 26O, with an August retake. My GPA isn't that great, but I'm doing well in a master's post bacc program. I don't know if I want to let them know I'm retaking.
I am thinking about letting them know I am retaking by just saying it in the extracurriculars section. Do you guys think this is a good idea??