A Stressful Career?

Started by kitty613
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to submit a request that I get to live like some of our students; preferably the ones that eat out for every meal, party hard every weekend, carry $7 coffee drinks in daily, have a new (within 3years) car, go on cruises and international trips, etc.

I do worry about loans and debt for new grads, I just sometimes wonder if some folks are taking funding for granted. Like the folks who told me so strongly last year that a roommate was a terrible idea.

I am not above this, though...I have a smart phone, and extra pets, and do take some trips. I'm just always shocked to hear someone that apparently has at least a couple hundred extra dollars for coffee complain about how poor they are, or how unfair the debt is...right before they leave for a cruise in the same year where they travel overseas and take a month long 'pay to play' vet trip.

I second this. I take a few luxuries with life, but I have no pity for some of my classmates that complain about having 200k in loans after 4 years, and walk in everyday with mcdonalds and starbucks. Some of them are paying out of state tuition, which I can see sucks pretty bad, but there are always things you can do to cut back and save yourself some debt. My husband and I will walk away with relatively little debt (he'll have a masters and me a DVM) because we take the time to make coffee at home, pack lunches, etc.
 
I would like to submit a request that I get to live like some of our students; preferably the ones that eat out for every meal, party hard every weekend, carry $7 coffee drinks in daily, have a new (within 3years) car, go on cruises and international trips, etc.

I do worry about loans and debt for new grads, I just sometimes wonder if some folks are taking funding for granted. Like the folks who told me so strongly last year that a roommate was a terrible idea.

I am not above this, though...I have a smart phone, and extra pets, and do take some trips. I'm just always shocked to hear someone that apparently has at least a couple hundred extra dollars for coffee complain about how poor they are, or how unfair the debt is...right before they leave for a cruise in the same year where they travel overseas and take a month long 'pay to play' vet trip.

No kidding. I've worked just about all the way through vet school and several jobs during undergrad. It's important to me to be debt free as soon as possible.

I don't buy coffee, I don't eat out (it's a special occasion, not a regular occurrence). I work in a kitchen, so I do get a free meal with every shift. Since the menu rotates it's like eating out 🙂

I cringe when I see people buy coffee every day. ~$4/day * 5 days a week * a bunch of weeks *compounding interest = too much money down the drain. Sure you may need a caffeine fix, but it doesn't need to cost $4 for one drink.

I don't take vacations unless you count driving cross state to see my family. I see movies in the theatre maybe 3x a year. I don't see concerts.

I guess my big splurges are buying nice ingredients (I'm a foodie). I have a gym membership. I buy some music for my iPod. Once in a while I'll find an outfit I love. That's about it. And I feel like that's ok since it's on my earned dollar, not loan money.

Plus I fairly aggressively go after scholarships. With a combo of work and scholarships I've been able to save myself from ~$40,000 of debt.
 
Ah, well, guess I need to turn my vet student card in.... apparently I don't have the true animal blood running through my veins. 🙄 Apparently someone should notify all the vet schools that they should boot out any student that ever has enough hardship in their life to question whether this sacrifice is worth it. 😴


I think the same thing could have been said without the sarcasm.

I was in no way singling anyone out. Obviously I was talking to people who have yet to apply or accept who are still in the process of making a decision. I know many people who had huge doubts about vet school and ended up not applying at the last minute to do something else. (Tech school, horse training, graduate school) and they are incredibly happy that they decided not to go. Maybe I should have added "If you have very strong doubts that last for a very long period of time maybe you should not apply."

I just have to start assuming that every single thing I say on here will be twisted into insulting someone, somehow.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the same thing could have been said without the sarcasm.

Maybe I should have added "If you have very strong doubts that last for a very long period of time maybe you should not apply."

I just have to start assuming that every single thing I say on here will be twisted into insulting someone, somehow.

Sarcasm is part of my sense of humor, I am sorry it offends you. You wanted a lack of sarcasm:

I had a DECADE of serious doubts + growing up with extreme poverty + lack of familial support of any kind + having to pay and pave my own way. I fought against going to vet school. I didn't want to spend 4 more years in classes, particularly not lectures. I don't learn well this way, I learn by doing and researching on my own. I didn't want to go into a career where pay was decreasing throughout the 90's (when I was in college) while costs were increasing drasticly. I didn't want to not be able to support myself. I didn't want to pile more debt on my undergrad debt.

I thought I would be happy in other animal related careers. I have worked in several and have been happy, but still kept being drawn back into working with DVMs, but I have never been satisfied in working with, just as I have never been satisfied with not running my own show when it came to employment. I have not, since college, worked any job where I wasn't one of the folks in charge or working independently. Then there was a day when I just snapped; I was tired of battling my own tendencies, fighting with myeslf. I decided my interests were worth pursueing, and that I deserved to be a vet and attend vet school, and that I had to give it a try. So I relocated, finished some odd pre-reqs (liek business) and applied. I knew I would only apply once. I was admitted.

Now, for some folks, it is a smooth path after that, but I don't do well on smooth paths. in the middle of my first sememster, my husband's income was cut by 20+%, and we had to start using the funds I had saved to attend vet school just to cover our costs, and I had to start taking out student loans. Then last semester my husband was laid off. In the mean time, I was really sick for all of winter break last year, and have spent every spare moment running my business and conducting my thesis research.

I don't think there is more than a two week period when I wonder at this; why am I pushing myself through vet school? Is this really worth it? I feel tortured sitting through hours of lectures, I can try my hardest and still panic on an exam, I don't get to do much that gives me any sense of accomplishment while in vet school (grades mean little to me), and I still have to keep my business credentials up and my government clearances up, so I have those responsibilities. I hate death by PPT teaching, and I hate being treated like a fresh 20 something that hasn't had to pay the bills yet (I've heard three times today 'you're not in undergrad'...well, yes, and I haven't been in a decade.)

Does that really mean I don't belong here? or does it mean that for me vet school isn't the best time of my life, but a gambit that I must pass through to do what I do love. Don't get me wrong, I love the information, I love the skills, I just don't love learning them in this manner. I'd be better doing an apprenticing system, but that isn't an option. I had serious doubts and for me, those doubts have been validated. Doesn't change that this is the only method of entry into the profession here. Doesn't change that I am passing my classes, and should graduate with a DVM. I am meeting some awesome people and having some amazing experiences. Just means that for me vet school and vet med are not the same thing; they require different skills, and my skill set isn't so great in this realm.

I didn't think you were singling anyone out. I am just as confident that there are a decent number of folks that will have extreme doubts, especially in the next couple of months, and that they shouldn't feel that a lack of doubts = DVM material. Also, while some of us do chose the path you illustrated, that can also be a bit of a 'mistake' (I don't regret the life experience, so I don't really see it as a mistake.) In a couple of months we'll start getting the 'do I really want to do this?' threads. and some people will believe, with all their heart, that anyone with any doubts shouldn't 'take spots' from others (not saying you said that) while others of us will think that having serious doubts suggests an awareness of the challenges ahead, in and out of school, and that doubts are normal/appropriate.
 
I understand that each situation is different and I apologize for giving generalizing remarks.

I hope everything works out for you and I wish you the best.
 
As someone not remotely interested in small animal private practice, I would really love the perspective of someone in lab animal (my own personal interest), or something different. Not to say that all other fields are sunshine and roses, of course, but I personally think SAPP really lends itself to burn out moreso than others. For the record, the SA vets I worked with were enthusiastic, generally content people but there was a lot of stress and I don't doubt that they had some of the same issues mentioned by Chickenlittle. I guess that's one of the reasons I don't want to pursue SA.
 
might message chris for lab animal med info.

I think all areas have their negatives. lab animal has a lot of paperwork and meetings and dealing with figuring out methods, disposals, etc. My understanding is that the higher up you are as a lab animal vet, the less likely you are to ever actually see animals let alone handle them. I know a lab animal vet who received death threats. then some develop allergies that can make the job very challenging. I think that is why getting experience in the areas of interest as soon as possible is important...to find out if the negatives are just annoyance or huge headaches for you. An owner that can't afford extensive treatment is an annoyance to me, but I know some vets who are really upset by it. Explaining why pre-sx bloodwork is crucial is logical to me, but others hate having to address those questions.
 
might message chris for lab animal med info.

I think all areas have their negatives. lab animal has a lot of paperwork and meetings and dealing with figuring out methods, disposals, etc. My understanding is that the higher up you are as a lab animal vet, the less likely you are to ever actually see animals let alone handle them. I know a lab animal vet who received death threats. then some develop allergies that can make the job very challenging. I think that is why getting experience in the areas of interest as soon as possible is important...to find out if the negatives are just annoyance or huge headaches for you. An owner that can't afford extensive treatment is an annoyance to me, but I know some vets who are really upset by it. Explaining why pre-sx bloodwork is crucial is logical to me, but others hate having to address those questions.

This is exactly why I'm glad I've had the chance to gather such diverse experiences: I know a lot of the pitfalls associated with various fields of vet med and while I don't know of them from first-hand experience, I feel like maybe I have the tiniest edge over those who haven't had the chance to get so much diverse experience. I think (at this point, at least) that I'd rather wrangle with a PI who only wants to do things their way as opposed to an owner who just brought Fluffy in after weeks of (symptoms here) and doesn't want to pay any more than the exam fee. I guess its a good thing there is so much opportunity within vet med; everyone certainly has their own preferences 🙂
 
As someone not remotely interested in small animal private practice, I would really love the perspective of someone in lab animal (my own personal interest), or something different. Not to say that all other fields are sunshine and roses, of course, but I personally think SAPP really lends itself to burn out moreso than others. For the record, the SA vets I worked with were enthusiastic, generally content people but there was a lot of stress and I don't doubt that they had some of the same issues mentioned by Chickenlittle. I guess that's one of the reasons I don't want to pursue SA.

I'm not a veterinarian, but a pre-vet, but I can tell you that the lab animal vets here at the university I work at all don't see animals very much, they have techs that do all of that work. Like it was said before it is a lot more paperwork and basically keeping up on IACUC protocols for the university. I have spoke with a few of the vets here on campus and all left private practice to do lab animal work, but I get the sense from them that they were never really gunhoe about vet med and hands on to begin with. My impression is that they are kind of burned out and that this is easier and pays pretty well, plus you are home by 5.

As far as the original question for this post, I have definitely second guessed my pursuit of this career, not so much in the beginning because i was younger and idealistic and thought i could change the world, but more now, especially since i want to own a house and have a baby. I do worry about making enough for the things and the life i want. I used to be upset that i wasn't a vet yet, even into my late 20's, but I truly feel now that the experiences I have had were very worth the wait it is taking to get to vet school, they have shaped me. I think had i gotten in to vet school younger I would have hated vet med. Since I have worked in other job areas, I can say now more firmly that becoming a vet is ideal for me. I have been a waitress(for 10+ years through college and even now part time) and I can say that I cannot wait to not have to do that anymore even if it means working 60 hour weeks and being stressed in a different way, i can't stand the uncertainties of that job. On top of the part time waiting gig I also work full time in research and because of that experience I can say that continuing on to only get a PhD or continuing up the ladder as a higher level research tech is not for me. I do like research, but I can't stand how little it pays, and yes money is a factor for me. I know vets don't make outstanding wages, but I have crunched the numbers and feel I will not only be happier as a vet doing the work I want to be doing, but that I will easily be able to support myself.
I have also been a vet tech in multiple hospitals and have not been deterred by those experiences to become a vet, although 4 different vets have tried to talk me out of vet school. The first clinic i worked at was my favorite, it was owned by an "old school" vet and it had 1-2 associate vets at a time. It was small and felt like a family. All of the vets were happy. It was salary and we were in a unique area that had very rich clientele (i took care of a certain senator's kid's puppy- a senator that went on to run for president) and very poor people (came in with ASPCA vouchers). It was tough at times to deal with the varied people, but wow we really made a difference. This doctor really knew how to run a clinic. He did tell me though, that he did not make his millions from owning a vet practice, he invested in real estate. And that has been my plan all along since I will be marrying into a family that is big on real estate investments and knows all the ins and outs of it. I do not see vet med as ever being my sole income, but if it had to be i know i could live on it.

And to wrap up quickly the second clinic i worked for as a tech had 6 vets and 2-3 techs per vet on teams. It was terrible and i was very unhappy there. The vets had base + commission. I know that out of school i will look for a small clinic to work at (if i have to, i want to specialize and be poor for longer) and not a huge place that sacrifices overall quality for numbers. Just not for me.
I truly feel that "real world" experience after undergrad was the best for me in deciding. You really get a wonderful perspective and if you keep coming back to the same want (vet med) than you know it is for you.
 
I'm not a veterinarian, but a pre-vet, but I can tell you that the lab animal vets here at the university I work at all don't see animals very much, they have techs that do all of that work. Like it was said before it is a lot more paperwork and basically keeping up on IACUC protocols for the university. I have spoke with a few of the vets here on campus and all left private practice to do lab animal work, but I get the sense from them that they were never really gunhoe about vet med and hands on to begin with. My impression is that they are kind of burned out and that this is easier and pays pretty well, plus you are home by 5.

Yeah, I've been working with my campus' attending veterinarian for three years now and I've definitely gotten a solid idea of what it's like. While he does do a good deal of administrative work, he does necropsies and follows up on health reports. He gets to go to our satellite facilities with goats/cattle/dairy to vaccine like a "real vet", too! He also does user training for PIs and new students that work with them, as well as teaching an upper level animal science course with a lab animal focus, and teaching is something that I would LOVE to do. The fact that its relatively well paying with comparatively regular hours (and we techs do holidays and weekends) is definitely appealing to someone such as myself who would also like to fit a family/married life into this whole shebang! (Although obviously if that was my sole intent in life, I wouldn't be going into vet med 😀)

To make a long story short, I realize that there are pros and cons to every aspect of vet med. The reason there are such a diverse range of vets, though, is because (as sumstorm said) certain people can tolerate or not tolerate different things. I just hope that (after getting in :xf:) I choose the best place for me to succeed and be happy.
 
Yep, the damn "cold feet" thread.

Odd how predictable the forum can be... haha. Except this spring it's way more 'doom and gloom' than usual, which is a bit of a shame.

Shoot I'm in vet school and still get those damn cold feet. I'm seriously bipolar over this. "Crap I want to just quit this is ridiculous spending so much time studying I hate this subject why can't I be in third year already I want to do something other than learning the basics damn it" one day to "hell yah can't wait to go to class tomorrow this is gonna be awesome I will totally kick ass today and tomorrow and the next day sure as hell won't know what hit it until it sees me walking by like 'haha! I'm totally rockin'!"

Right now I'm in the former camp but I'm studying a ridiculous amount of Microbiology so that's to be expected. My head hurts and I think I'm leaking Haemophilus and Spirochete information everywhere.
 
Sometimes I think about this when I am working at the vets office. Like while I am out in the yard picking up dog poop and its 0 degrees outside and people that walk into the vets office give you the "that sucks" look.

I just think. I CANNOT WAIT TO HAVE MY WORK MEAN SOMETHING.

I have been scooping poop for 5 years. I just live to hope that one day I can move up.

👍 +1
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sometimes I think about this when I am working at the vets office. Like while I am out in the yard picking up dog poop and its 0 degrees outside and people that walk into the vets office give you the "that sucks" look.

I have been scooping poop for 5 years. I just live to hope that one day I can move up.

I FEEL ya. I did kennel work, too, and it sucked. I powered through it by dreaming about and knowing that I'd be a vet one day. And now my dreams are coming true; I'm starting vet school this year! Hang in there; your dreams are gonna come true, too. 🙂