A suggestion...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcharness

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some thinking. What better way to promote osteopathic medicine than to have the schools ranked on US news? Every single prospective medical student looks at those rankings to help determine what medical school they should apply too. I know that some osteopathic schools are listed in primary care, but if osteopathic schools were ranked in a seperate category (like major universitys and small colleges) along with a little blurb on what osteopathic medicine entails I truly beleive that it would promote osteopathic medicine profoundly. Many of you probably think the ranking system is BS, however, it would expose osteopathic medical schools to a far greater number of people. I am going to be writing a letter to the editor in an attempt to have the osteopathic schools ranked. Anyone who is interested and wants the email address send me a PM. What do you think?

Justin Charness
American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
5550 Friendship Blvd., Ste. 310
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-7231
[email protected]
voice: 301-943-8794

Members don't see this ad.

Why doesnt AACOMAS answer the phone or return phone messages dealing with application payments??

I didn't look at those rankings to decide where to apply.

I didn't apply to DO school in undergrad cause I didn't even know they existed. As obvious as it sounds, I think getting more coverage in the media would help.

I dont think that a seperate category would help all that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there is likely a reason the AOA (or insert appropriate agency here) has not pushed for osteopathic schools to be considered in the popular US News rankings. I can think of several but would be interesting in what you find.

One reason that I think DO schools should not be included at this time is that the ranking is heavily research funding weighted. The fact is, many or perhaps most osteopathc programs are focused on turning out excellent physicians with ample exposure to patients, real cases and situations. Clinical and basic research is secondary and sometimes nonexistent at some osteopathic schools. This isn't to say that all DO schools don't engage in research of one sort or another. Some do, of course. However, including all DO programs in the ranking would effectively be negative publicity, something we definitely don't need.

Also, I am not saying that MD schools aren't trying to and producing excellent clinicians. It is obvious from some of these schools' advertising that research dollars and publications are their major goals.

can we keep osteopathic medicine as much of a secret as possible until AFTER i get accepted (*knock on wood*)? the more people know, the more they apply, and the worse my chances are.

cee said:
can we keep osteopathic medicine as much of a secret as possible until AFTER i get accepted (*knock on wood*)? the more people know, the more they apply, and the worse my chances are.

MSUCOM, WVCOM are usu withing the top 50 in primary care

Corrupt200 said:
MSUCOM, WVCOM are usu withing the top 50 in primary care

Great! That means absolutely nothing, especially since those rankings are dependent on response from alumni.

jcharness said:
I have been doing some thinking. What better way to promote osteopathic medicine than to have the schools ranked on US news? Every single prospective medical student looks at those rankings to help determine what medical school they should apply too. I know that some osteopathic schools are listed in primary care, but if osteopathic schools were ranked in a seperate category (like major universitys and small colleges) along with a little blurb on what osteopathic medicine entails I truly beleive that it would promote osteopathic medicine profoundly. Many of you probably think the ranking system is BS, however, it would expose osteopathic medical schools to a far greater number of people. I am going to be writing a letter to the editor in an attempt to have the osteopathic schools ranked. Anyone who is interested and wants the email address send me a PM. What do you think?

Justin Charness
American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
5550 Friendship Blvd., Ste. 310
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-7231
[email protected]
voice: 301-943-8794

1. Your duplicate post violates the TOS.
2. DO schools ARE ranked in US news.

I think if Medical Doctor (MD) and Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) was changed to MD-Allopathic and MD-Osteopathic there would be a lot less stigma to osteopathic med and consequently more applicants.

jillibean said:
I think if Medical Doctor (MD) and Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) was changed to MD-Allopathic and MD-Osteopathic there would be a lot less stigma to osteopathic med and consequently more applicants.

Actually it's

Doctor of Medicine (MD)

and

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (MD)

The only "stigma" exists among premeds who didn't pay attention to the fact that their primary care physician ACTUALLY IS a D.O.