A Surgeon's Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donkeykong1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is life as an attending Surgeon? Is it as bad as people make it seem to be. I'm talking about the long hours and not being able to spend enough time with the family and kids...

Members don't see this ad.

It seems general surgery is as bad as people make it if you want to make decent money these days. Working so many hours to compensate for that in addition to the stress/risks that comes wtih surgery are a formula for that lifestyle. Of course, there are exceptions but I haven't seen any yet.

How is life as an attending Surgeon? Is it as bad as people make it seem to be. I'm talking about the long hours and not being able to spend enough time with the family and kids...

My guess is that you will find better responses from those currently practicing surgery. I would try the Surgeons forum under the residents and attendings section, they might be better equipped to answer the question.

Members don't see this ad :)

Face it donkey, you sound too much like a little girl to become a surgeon. You're more suited for derm. Good luck.

Last edited:
Face it donkey, you sound too much like a little girl to become a surgeon. You're more suited for derm. Good luck.

I'm a little girl, but strong enough to be a surgeon.:D

I'm a little girl, but strong enough to be a surgeon.:D

Pardon me PunkmedGirl. I did not mean to imply that little girls cant be surgeons. Only that big boys acting like little girls cant be one. I am sure you are one tough cookie. I love you. Friends????

Pardon me PunkmedGirl. I did not mean to imply that little girls cant be surgeons. Only that big boys acting like little girls cant be one. I am sure you are one tough cookie. I love you. Friends????

Awwww..That's mighty sweet of you.:love:

Actually I like to think of myself as an average guy who doesn't want to be that big douche in the future who hardly ever enjoys the time he has with family and kids.

yeah, but thanks for caring anyways