A technical questionn--the effect of Post-bac on GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StanMarsh1978

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A technical question:

I'm interested in the effect that a postbac may have on one's GPA, as viewed by medical schools. Say your GPA stands between 3.5 and 3.7, with 120 credit hours for your undergraduate degree.

1) How many credits compose a typical full post-bac?
2) How do most medical schools assess those additional credits? Are the grades from the post-bac classes simply added to your preexisting credits and the GPA averaged? Or is there some less discernable formula?

3) Accordingly, what is the largest effect a successful post-bac experience could have on one's final, considered GPA? My calculations are as follows. With a 4.0 over 30 credits, added to a pre-existing GPA over 120 credits, the following effect would be observed:

3.5 to 3.6
3.6 to 3.68
3.7 to 3.76

Actually reviewing the program description at several programs, though, more like 50 credit hours seem to be at stake. If that were true, these are the numbers I come up with (again given a 4.0 over those 50 credits):

3.5 to 3.64
3.6 to 3.72
3.7 to 3.79

So which is more accurate--50 or 30? And does anyone disagree with my math here, or have insight into how schools actually look at these numbers? Do certain schools emphasize more recent (post-bac) coursework over your earlier grades?

4) Is there any additional known way to raise one's GPA, beyond the post-bac programs? Could I get another B.A. in an unrelated subject at my original undergraduate institution, for instance? If so, are such efforts regarded as transparent by top medical schools, or is it a useful exercise?

5) Assuming an outstanding MCAT and an otherwise impressive application (foreign languages, professional background, volunteer experience, etc.), would an applicant with the above-assessed grades stand any reasonable chance of admission at top medical schools? (Duke, Stanford, Hopkins, Harvard, et al)?

Just asking, trying to get a sense of the lay of the land. Appreciate any insight you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I did 53 hours of postbac @ 4.0 and improved my cGPA to about 3.6, and had good luck with the top tiers with a 39S and 4.0 BCPM.

The postbac classes are added to your cGPA but is also listed separately.

Wow--that's a pretty great MCAT. Impressive. What's a BCPM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow--that's a pretty great MCAT. Impressive. What's a BCPM?

Stands for Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Math -- it's simply a subset of your GPA pertaining to classes in those disciplines. A one-year postbac, with just the prereqs, will probably be 32 hours. If you take additional courses, expect (in most cases) 4 credit hours for a class w/ a lab and 3 for a class w/out a lab. As a sidenote, it is becoming near-common practice for formal postbacs to take biochemistry the summer after they complete the official prereqs (if they aren't already accepted via linkage). It is seen as good med school prep and a solid resume strengthener.

Stands for Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Math -- it's simply a subset of your GPA pertaining to classes in those disciplines. A one-year postbac, with just the prereqs, will probably be 32 hours. If you take additional courses, expect (in most cases) 4 credit hours for a class w/ a lab and 3 for a class w/out a lab. As a sidenote, it is becoming near-common practice for formal postbacs to take biochemistry the summer after they complete the official prereqs (if they aren't already accepted via linkage). It is seen as good med school prep and a solid resume strengthener.

Yeah, also if you can take anatomy (w/ a cadaver lab preferably) in postbac it would make your life 1000x easier in med school.