A tough decision (Pre-DAT courseload)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think that, upon taking the courses that you suggest as well as the Gen. Bio, Gen. Chem, and Orgo sequences, I will be well-enough prepared for the DAT course-wise?

Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Good Morning Everybody!

Thanks for checking this thread out- I would appreciate your advice on the following situation:

I am currently in my sophomore year, and by the end of this year, I will have finished General Bio 1 + 2, General Chem 1 + 2, and Orgo 1 + 2 (all with associated labs).

I have been browsing the other Pre-DAT threads, and many recommend taking the DAT early in order to get the application in to the schools early. As a result, I am considering taking the DAT in the summer following this year.

So, here's the question:

I have the option of taking two out of the following three additional biology courses in the spring:
1) Cell Biology
2) Microbiology
3) Biochemistry and Cellular Metabolism

Which do you think will be optimal for DAT preparation? I will eventually take many upper-level biology courses (junior and senior years), but right now, I want to fortify my sciences specifically for the DAT.

Furthermore, do you think that, upon taking the courses that you suggest as well as the Gen. Bio, Gen. Chem, and Orgo sequences, I will be well-enough prepared for the DAT course-wise? I am planning to study ~8-10 weeks this summer for the exam. Is that sufficient time to self-study the other information?

Thank you for your input!

The summer following sophomore year is the best and most ideal time to take the DAT. Taking the DAT at any other point in time will be much more stressful and risky to your performance and it could also make you have to send in your app late in the cycle and, at worst, it could set you back a full year.

Take cell bio and microbio, they both cover information that will be more relevant/useful for the DAT.

If you complete the above intended courses and get "A"s and study 8-10 weeks afterwards during the summer then you might be able to absolutely crush the DAT. Buy all the best materials people recommend in breakdowns, try to master the information and get used to the exam/question style/format. Schedule the test but if your scores on the practice arent as high as you want then dont be afraid to reschedule, I did it twice and pushed it back an extra month and I ended up doing well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to have to say mibo and bcmb. Typically, bcmb goes into lab technique, aerobic/anaerobic respiration, macromolecules, and these are all fair game. Mibo should get you familiar w/ bacteria/archaea and possibly some lab techniques as well. Your best bet may be to compare the DAT topics for biology against what the syllabi for your potential classes are if you can view them somehow. I think it will vary from university to university, but I found my school to have prepared my excellently for ochem, alright for gchem, and about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way for bio. You may want to consider leaving the tougher classes that are not necessarily prereqs, but rather recommended classes, for your later years as they may help you prepare specifically for dental school itself.

Anatomy + physiology is very helpful for DAT

I took the DAT this summer ( after my sophomore year) and most of everything was covered in Bio 1 and 2. There were 3 or 4 questions that I only knew because I was currently taking a summer anatomy course. So I would say anatomy for sure. Can't really speak for any other biology courses because I haven't taken them.