1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

A tough decision (Pre-DAT courseload)

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Incis0r, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Incis0r

Incis0r I LOVE Dental School
    2+ Year Member

Do you think that, upon taking the courses that you suggest as well as the Gen. Bio, Gen. Chem, and Orgo sequences, I will be well-enough prepared for the DAT course-wise?

Thank you for your input!

#1 Incis0r, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. .

#2 SXCoronado, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
    discensdentibus likes this.
  4. Blake1e

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The summer following sophomore year is the best and most ideal time to take the DAT. Taking the DAT at any other point in time will be much more stressful and risky to your performance and it could also make you have to send in your app late in the cycle and, at worst, it could set you back a full year.

Take cell bio and microbio, they both cover information that will be more relevant/useful for the DAT.

If you complete the above intended courses and get "A"s and study 8-10 weeks afterwards during the summer then you might be able to absolutely crush the DAT. Buy all the best materials people recommend in breakdowns, try to master the information and get used to the exam/question style/format. Schedule the test but if your scores on the practice arent as high as you want then dont be afraid to reschedule, I did it twice and pushed it back an extra month and I ended up doing well.

5. discensdentibus

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm going to have to say mibo and bcmb. Typically, bcmb goes into lab technique, aerobic/anaerobic respiration, macromolecules, and these are all fair game. Mibo should get you familiar w/ bacteria/archaea and possibly some lab techniques as well. Your best bet may be to compare the DAT topics for biology against what the syllabi for your potential classes are if you can view them somehow. I think it will vary from university to university, but I found my school to have prepared my excellently for ochem, alright for gchem, and about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way for bio. You may want to consider leaving the tougher classes that are not necessarily prereqs, but rather recommended classes, for your later years as they may help you prepare specifically for dental school itself.

6. cacajuate

5+ Year Member

Anatomy + physiology is very helpful for DAT

7. SM555

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I took the DAT this summer ( after my sophomore year) and most of everything was covered in Bio 1 and 2. There were 3 or 4 questions that I only knew because I was currently taking a summer anatomy course. So I would say anatomy for sure. Can't really speak for any other biology courses because I haven't taken them.