A Very Difficult Situation - Seriously Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, God bless you for going into general surgery... I think that is one of the toughest fields out there.

Second, Dean's are typically right about most things... so if they say submit, then consider it.

The bottom line is that your application from a surgery standpoint sounds great - letters, the rotation, etc.

Your other grades are around HP/P... that's fine.

According to various posts, programs can filter Step scores (they can set a filter for just Step 1, both Step 1 and Step 2, or screen however they please). That being said, there are a few outcomes here.

A. Rejection or screened out secondary to Step 1 score
B. Program will wait for Step 2 score to see if improvement
C. Other scenarios

Please consult page 92 of this document:
http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

The subsequent next few pages contain the Step 2 data as well.

Best wishes.

Well, I can see how that would be a problem, but I think you are doing all the right things. The important thing is to really follow your heart and do your best. If you want it badly enough, you will find a way to make it happen. Typically people overthink these things and end up worrying themselves way too much. I think you will end up being just fine in the end and I wish you all the best. If you elaborate a little more on the problem you might get more specific advice, but good luck!