A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted850921

A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on what else has been used for that secondary, I like #1 and #4. For #4, I would focus more on learning to live in two distinct cultures, of which being misunderstood is one obstacle that you had to face.

Thank you! Funny enough, those 2 are what I was thinking of as well. I have something written for #1 already, but was told that the topic is kinda cliche, so I’m leaning towards #4 because it allows me to be more personal as well.

In your opinion, do you think #4 is overused as well? As a son of an immigrant, I feel like I could talk well about this but don’t want to use a topic that may be too overused, if that’s makes sense.
Don't worry about what's overused. Very, very few people truly have a "unique" story. So focus on telling your story to give adcoms a sense of who you are and how you might add to the learning of your future peers. Being "unique" for the sake of being "unique" is never a good strategy.

Wait what did you mean by "depending on what else has been used for that secondary?"
Depends on the other questions in the secondary. For example, if a secondary has both a diversity and challenge essay, it is a missed opportunity to use the same experience for both. For example, in this case, you could use your experience growing up with parents who are immigrants for your 'diversity' essay, and briefly allude to the challenges associated with this as well, while "freeing up" the 'challenge' essay to highlight another experience that may be of interest to adcoms.