AA with braids like Asap Rocky and interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:dead: And I call my self a fan...

Members don't see this ad.

Shaq, I think dem dreads on point. I didn't think of that, there are many black professionals out there with dreads... Just have em worn back and tight af.
Also, there is no reason to get into discussions of race/racism here. Everyone needs to present their best self at the interview... Black, white, yellow, brown, pink, blue WE WILL ALL BE JUDGED ON APPEARANCE. Period. If a white dude shows up with a Viking beard and long greasy looking hair or a mohawk, he is gonna have a problem. That's just the nature of them game. Please believe my hair game gonna be on point, my face clean, my suit fresh and imma be smelling GAF! Lol
No need to inject race talk into this... Shaq either cut yo **** or get dem clean tight dreads and u good.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Shaq, I think dem dreads on point. I didn't think of that, there are many black professionals out there with dreads... Just have em worn back and tight af.
Also, there is no reason to get into discussions of race/racism here. Everyone needs to present their best self at the interview... Black, white, yellow, brown, pink, blue WE WILL ALL BE JUDGED ON APPEARANCE. Period. If a white dude shows up with a Viking beard and long greasy looking hair or a mohawk, he is gonna have a problem. That's just the nature of them game. Please believe my hair game gonna be on point, my face clean, my suit fresh and imma be smelling GAF! Lol
No need to inject race talk into this... Shaq either cut yo **** or get dem clean tight dreads and u good.
Best of luck!
Word up my man, preciate the feedback you've been givin. You know ya boy gonna be stupid fresh and nicely groomed for that interview though, with either a fresh cut or some neatly maintained dreads. I feel you on the race remarks too, that's why I refrained from mentioning anything about it although I agree with what some of the posters have said thus far

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should be. I want a professional looking doctor. A professional appearance gives confidence. If my doctor walked in looking disheveled and in torn and stained up clothing, I would leave immediately and switch doctors - no lie. If you're going to rock them, then at least make sure they are clean and put together, but if it was me I would most certainly get a hair cut.

Ultimately, this all depends on what is most important to you. Your hair or your potential future career as a physician. Like it or not, it's the way it is.

There in no inherent racism in the word thug.

There is inherent racism in the word thug in this country, but we can save that conversation for another day.

OP, as a black woman with natural hair, I've definitely had to ask myself similar questions, unfortunately. If you want to err on the side of caution, then cut your hair. However, I do think there are neater styles than the original one that you posted that you could get away with if you want to keep your hair longer. In addition, I'm not sure where you're interviewing, so that would also influence my decision as well. Good luck to you!

There is inherent racism in the word thug in this country, but we can save that conversation for another day.

OP, as a black woman with natural hair, I've definitely had to ask myself similar questions, unfortunately. If you want to err on the side of caution, then cut your hair. However, I do think there are neater styles than the original one that you posted that you could get away with if you want to keep your hair longer. In addition, I'm not sure where you're interviewing, so that would also influence my decision as well. Good luck to you!
What other styles would you recommend because I really really do not not want to cut my hair. Anyways I'm interviewing at USA but I applied to a lot of schools

Last edited:
Update: So I ended up getting my hair cut to a short Afro and I recently just got my first acceptance!! Now I'm bout to let my hair grow like it ain't nobody's business lol
kanyelaugh.png
kanyelaugh.png
kanyelaugh.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Update: So I ended up getting my hair cut to a short Afro and I recently just got my first acceptance!! Now I'm bout to let my hair grow like it ain't nobody's business lol
Wow; you got accepted :highfive::slap::clap::bow::):hardy::claps::soexcited::eyebrow::flame::owle::spam:

As a person with a different hair texture than the norm for American society (I'm not African-American, though), I have two options for hairstyles: "short" and "Jew-fro". I'm going for the former.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest a short afro, locks, or a fade.

This has got to be a joke. OP cannot be so stupid as to think braided side mullets = trustworthy/intelligent image. Not even go into the black dress shirt and gaudy rings. Come on.
ASAP is a musician? It's the equivalent of a white guy asking people if it's okay he has Slash's hairstyle or something.

This has got to be a joke. OP cannot be so stupid as to think braided side mullets = trustworthy/intelligent image. Not even go into the black dress shirt and gaudy rings. Come on.
ASAP is a musician? It's the equivalent of a white guy asking people if it's okay he has Slash's hairstyle or something.
Man you're like 2 months late and I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from insulting me. Honestly that hairstyle may not be appropriate for medical school interviews but I dont see how it would portray someone to be any less intelligent than the next person. I guess it's because I identify myself with the hip hop culture and the culture of my race but even if someone isnt apart of the rap culture and has a different hairstyle, I wouldnt make a judgement on their intellectual abilities based solely on appearance. Im happy about how this cycle has turned out for me so it's whatever but some of yall on sdn need to take a step outside of your privileged worlds.

Last edited:
Man you're like 2 months late. Honestly that hairstyle may not be appropriate for medical school interviews but I dont see how it could portray someone to be any less intelligent than the next person. I guess it's because I identify myself with the hip hop culture but even if someone isnt apart of the rap culture and has a different hairstyle, I wouldnt make a judgement on their intellectual abilities. Fortunately I got accepted into one of my favorite schools so it's whatever but some of Yall on sdn need to take a step outside of your privileged worlds

Of course hair style affects perception of intelligence. Duh. I'm sure a handful of sociology professors with too much time on their hands have done the studies. And identifying oneself as part of the hip-hop culture doesn't mitigate that. In fact it probably makes it worse given the illegal undertones of hip-hop not to mention the violence and sexism. I'm sure you didn't tell interviewers that you culture is hip-hop though.

This isn't about being privileged (imo, you should be wary of throwing that around anytime a non-black person disagrees with you). Heck you ARE privileged. You're going to be a medical doctor. Don't act like some sort of underdog rebel who's going to "keep it real" in a white man's world. As much as you don't like taking the Obama look, white guys don't like taking the Romney look.

OK I thought I was the only one with these sentiments. Thank Dog..

Of course hair style affects perception of intelligence. Duh. I'm sure a handful of sociology professors with too much time on their hands have done the studies. And identifying oneself as part of the hip-hop culture doesn't mitigate that. In fact it probably makes it worse given the illegal undertones of hip-hop not to mention the violence and sexism. I'm sure you didn't tell interviewers that you culture is hip-hop though.

This isn't about being privileged (imo, you should be wary of throwing that around anytime a non-black person disagrees with you). Heck you ARE privileged. You're going to be a medical doctor.
Maybe hairstyle would affect one's perception of intelligence of somebody who represents their self in an otherwise respectable manner if the person making the judgement were completely closed-minded. Especially since were talking about braids that resemble dreadlocks, instead of a totally outrageous hairstyle such as a pink Mohawk for example. And actually, I did inform my interviewers of my affiliation with hip hop, in fact some asked to listen to my music during my interview. Also I had no clear way of confirming what your nationality was by reading your post nor do I claim to be underprivileged but I have spent a great period of my life in an underprivileged area and have met quite a few of intelligent individuals whom carry their selves in ways that may not be the most conservative.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe hairstyle would affect one's perception of intelligence of somebody who represents their self in an otherwise respectable manner if the person making the judgement were completely closed-minded. Especially since were talking about braids that resemble dreadlocks, instead of a totally outrageous hairstyle such as a pink Mohawk for example. And actually, I did inform my interviewers of my affiliation with hip hop, in fact some asked to listen to my music during my interview. Also I had no clear way of confirming what your nationality was by reading your post nor do I claim to be underprivileged but I have spent a great period of my life in an underprivileged area and have met quite a few of intelligent individuals whom carry their selves in ways that may not be the most conservative.
Read several of your posts here and it seems as if you do not present yourself in such a way that a prospective doctor should (i.e. you referred to Goro, an ADCOM member, as "mane" a few posts back).

Two questions:
1) What medical school have you been accepted to?
2) What did you get on the VR section of the MCAT?

Read several of your posts here and it seems as if you do not present yourself in such a way that a prospective doctor should (i.e. you referred to Goro, an ADCOM member, as "mane" a few posts back).

Two questions:
1) What medical school have you been accepted to?
2) What did you get on the VR section of the MCAT?
I'm glad that I interest you so much my dude. By the way I didn't recognize that Goro was an adcom member until later as I havent been active much on sdn within recent years. And you don't know me on a personal level so I really don't give 2 f's about how you feel that I present myself on an Internet forum. You should work on getting your head out your ass and having less of a condescending attitude as a future physician yourself. Oh, and since you're doing background checks and all you can easily see what med school I got into and I don't need you questioning me about my test scores but I scored decent enough to be successful this application cycle so that's that

Last edited:

Ok man, whatever. Your first sentence isn't completely coherent to me but I will say I was never defending whether these perceptions are right or wrong- just that they exist. Your peers are going to be "close-minded" if that's what you want to call it.... And it's not about race- it would be equally bad for the Slash guy. Your pink mohawk is a straw man.

Also- if your commentary on your "affiliation" with hip-hop was simply that you recorded a hip-hop song/album that sounds completely innocuous- maybe it's PG-13 social commentary like Lupe Fiasco or something. It's the statement that "my culture is hip-hop" that would make people balk since that still (though less than in the past) brings to mind things like drugs, evading police, pimping, hustling, street life, etc.

Ok man, whatever. Your first sentence isn't completely coherent to me but I will say I was never defending whether these perceptions are right or wrong- just that they exist. Your peers are going to be "close-minded" if that's what you want to call it.... And it's not about race- it would be equally bad for the Slasher guy. Your pink mohawk is a straw man.

Also- if your commentary on your "affiliation" with hip-hop was simply that you recorded a hip-hop song/album that sounds completely innocuous- maybe it's PG-13 social commentary like Lupe Fiasco or something. It's the statement that "my culture is hip-hop" that would make people balk since that still (though less than in the past) brings to mind things like drugs, evading police, pimping, hustling, street life, etc.
Well we have differing views on some things and I'm tired of going back and forth so I'll leave it at that. And I don't rap, rather I make instrumentals. If you wanna hear some you can pm me. Otherwise ✌️✌️

I'm glad that I interest you so much my dude. By the way I didn't recognize that Goro was an adcom member until later as I havent been active much on sdn within recent years. And you don't know me on a personal level so I really don't give 2 f's about how you feel that I present myself on an Internet forum. You should work on getting your head out your ass and having less of a condescending attitude as a future physician yourself. Oh, and since you're doing background checks and all you can easily see what med school I got into and I don't need you questioning me about my test scores but I scored decent enough to be successful this application cycle so that's that
Haha. You seem like a really good guy.