AA with braids like Asap Rocky and interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my first interview invitation and am wondering how I should style my hair. Recently I've been wearing my hair in a braided style similar to the attached picture of Asap Rocky and feel that they look quite decent. Do y'all think it would be acceptable if I wore my hair like this to my interview if the braids were neat and I had a clean shave? Or do y'all think rocking an afro would be a better alternative?....or should I just get a hair cut? Help me out LizzyM

***Update***: So I ended up getting my hair cut to a short Afro and just recently Got my first acceptance!! Now Im bout to let my hair grow like it ain't nobody's business lol
kanyelaugh.png
kanyelaugh.png

asap.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It is up to you. But keep in mind medicine is a conservative profession. To be completely safe, you may want to get a haircut. You can always grow it back.

Just get a haircut man. Keep it fresh. Why would you take any unneeded risks with hair styling.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you don't have snakes crawling on your head like Medusa, your hair style will not be a concern.

So I just got my first interview invitation and am wondering how I should style my hair. Recently I've been wearing my hair in a braided style similar to the attached picture of Asap Rocky and feel that they look quite decent. Do y'all think it would be acceptable if I wore my hair like this to my interview if the braids were neat and I had a clean shave? Or do y'all think rocking an afro would be a better alternative?....or should I just get a hair cut? Help me out LizzyM View attachment 185958

Reactions: 8 users
I would just get a haircut. Maybe a nice fade or something that's still stylish, but more clean cut.

So I just got my first interview invitation and am wondering how I should style my hair. Recently I've been wearing my hair in a braided style similar to the attached picture of Asap Rocky and feel that they look quite decent. Do y'all think it would be acceptable if I wore my hair like this to my interview if the braids were neat and I had a clean shave? Or do y'all think rocking an afro would be a better alternative?....or should I just get a hair cut? Help me out LizzyM View attachment 185958
No. Clean hair cut and shaven/trimmed (just like everybody else).

As long as you don't have snakes crawling on your head like Medusa, your hair style will not be a concern.
Thats what I was thinkin mane. I thought medical schools look for individuality and diversity but I guess not so much in terms of appearance.

Individuality and diversity doesn't apply when taking a career-deciding, high-stakes process seriously, being professional, or avoiding being just plain stupid.

Thats what I was thinkin mane. I thought medical schools look for individuality and diversity but I guess not so much in terms of appearance.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest a haircut.

Tbh I think that haircut is kind of goofy. I would cut it if I were you

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys feel about this look?

Attachments

• fro.jpg
    fro.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 212
Unless you're being interviewed by a fan of The Boondocks, go conservative.

Imma keep it real with u... Cut the hair and get a nice shape up... Avoid braids, an Afro etc. you want to appear as professional and as serious as possible. One of my boys was in a similar situation when he applied 2 years ago, after his first interview at our state school he cut his hair and cleaned up his appearance. He didn't get into our state school but he did get in at 2 other places that he interviewed at, post hair cut. Did the hair have something to do with it, I don't know... But it's possible. Moral of the story do everything humanly possible to present yourself as an educated, approachable, affable young brother. My boy grew his **** back in med school.

keep it how you normally wear it, i have longish hair that's usually in a bun and i don't plan on getting it cut.

I don't have a strong opinion. I tend to be open-minded; it may be big city living with a diverse population that has made me comfortable with many different styles. YMMV

Reactions: 5 users
Imma keep it real with u... Cut the hair and get a nice shape up... Avoid braids, an Afro etc. you want to appear as professional and as serious as possible. One of my boys was in a similar situation when he applied 2 years ago, after his first interview at our state school he cut his hair and cleaned up his appearance. He didn't get into our state school but he did get in at 2 other places that he interviewed at, post hair cut. Did the hair have something to do with it, I don't know... But it's possible. Moral of the story do everything humanly possible to present yourself as an educated, approachable, affable young brother. My boy grew his **** back in med school.
That's an interesting story. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get it cut off...it sucks too cause my hair is starting to get really long and I'm almost the only person at my school with braids who I honestly feel can pull them off. If worst comes to worst I do like your homeboy and grow my hair back out in med school though

If you come in with braids the ADCOM will think you are a thug. Get your hair cut man, nobody else here is going to be this real with you.

I don't have a strong opinion. I tend to be open-minded; it may be big city living with a diverse population that has made me comfortable with many different styles. YMMV
i was hoping that most personnel on the admissions committee would be open-minded as well but you never know....preciate the response however

If you come in with braids the ADCOM will think you are a thug. Get your hair cut man, nobody else here is going to be this real with you.
lol you're right, and that's how a lot of people view me at my school until they have a conversation with me. Imma gon ahead and get it cut though more than likely, probably get a fade or something

I would say if you're compelled to ask about it it's probably not the most professional you could be. Play it safe and go with what you know.

i was hoping that most personnel on the admissions committee would be open-minded as well but you never know....preciate the response however

I wouldn't care, but you will encounter people who might. Sounds like you've already kind of made up your mind, but I'll echo previous responses and say to cut your hair. You have plenty of time to grow it out again (until it's time for residency interviews, hehe)

This is the last time Im gonna bring this up but how do you guys feel about rocking dreadlocks in a neat, professional style like dude in the picture below (but obviously with a clean shave and tied back if possible)? If its worth anything I know of a guy with dreads who got accepted into the medical school which I'll be interviewing at last year. Oh.....and Ive searched this question on here but most threads were many years old.
dreads.jpg

I know a guy who got into Med school and his dreads are longer than that. He just tied them back and it looked fine! Clean dreads are better than those dookie ASAP Rocky Braids, for purposes of the interview! :)

Last edited:
I would probably just take the braids out for the interview but not cut the hair so you can put them back in if you want. Afro with a temp fade perhaps as a compromise.

This is the last time Im gonna bring this up but how do you guys feel about rocking dreadlocks in a neat, professional style like dude in the picture below (but obviously with a clean shave and tied back if possible)? If its worth anything I know of a guy with dreads who got accepted into the medical school which I'll be interviewing at last year. Oh.....and Ive searched this question on here but most threads were many years old.View attachment 186009
That man looks like a professional. Asap rocky does not

I know a guy who got into Med school and his dreads are longer than that. He just tied them back and it looked fine! Clean dreads are better than those dookie ASAP Rocky Braids, for purposes of the interview! :)
Word, I think dreads are starting to become more acceptable in the professional world. I agree wit you in the opinion that dreads are better than the braids for interview purposes, but in any other setting swag+braids>>>>>>>dreads ;)

any interviewer who judges you based on your hair and not your interview is stupid af

any interviewer who judges you based on your hair and not your interview is stupid af
any pre-med student who thinks you won't be/shouldn't be judged based on your physical appearance is less than intelligent af

i know that you will be, but how can you make an argument that you SHOULD be? I mean seriously? Come on. All it results in is assumption and prejudice. I am sensing some serious racist undertones in this thread with people suggesting the (AA) OP's braids will label him as a "thug"... that's racism pure and simple.

i know that you will be, but how can you make an argument that you SHOULD be? I mean seriously? Come on. All it results in is assumption and prejudice. I am sensing some serious racist undertones in this thread with people suggesting the (AA) OP's braids will label him as a "thug"... that's racism pure and simple.
Not at all, you have to understand that interviewers are usually conservative.

I think you should be. I want a professional looking doctor. A professional appearance gives confidence. If my doctor walked in looking disheveled and in torn and stained up clothing, I would leave immediately and switch doctors - no lie. If you're going to rock them, then at least make sure they are clean and put together, but if it was me I would most certainly get a hair cut.

Ultimately, this all depends on what is most important to you. Your hair or your potential future career as a physician. Like it or not, it's the way it is.

There in no inherent racism in the word thug.

racism is the belief that one race is genetically better/worse than another race

when someone uses asap rocky, a thug rapper, as the example for their obscure hairstyle...it is reasonable to assume that others might associate that style with said "thug" personalities. this is the rapper that was charged with assault for beating a man in a store after being caught doing drugs in that store. Feel free to like his music if you want, but don't go to a professional high-stakes interview while trying to look like him

The racism isn't from the posters telling him this, it's from the older, more conservative generation of doctors trained in a different era that tends to have free time now and uses that free time to interview med students.. If I were interviewing OP, I'd honestly appreciate the braids, but I was interviewed by a number of pretty-let's keep using "conservative" for lack of a better non-offensive word- physicians who would not appreciate it one bit.

You will always, always, always, always, ALWAYS be judged on your appearance by every single person on earth, including more "conservative" patients, residents and attendings who grade you, department chairs that decide your salary, and every other person you come into contact with.

Appearance determines your starting position with a person. Personality slowly changes where you stand with them.

The racism isn't from the posters telling him this, it's from the older, more conservative generation of doctors trained in a different era that tends to have free time now and uses that free time to interview med students.. If I were interviewing OP, I'd honestly appreciate the braids, but I was interviewed by a number of pretty-let's keep using "conservative" for lack of a better non-offensive word- physicians who would not appreciate it one bit.

You will always, always, always, always, ALWAYS be judged on your appearance by every single person on earth, including more "conservative" patients, residents and attendings who grade you, department chairs that decide your salary, and every other person you come into contact with.

Appearance determines your starting position with a person. Personality slowly changes where you stand with them.

don't chalk conservatism up to racial issues....those interviewers would have just as much problem with neck tattoos, mohawks, numerous facial piercings or blur hair on white students. Their is an image that is considered the standard...and that image must be adhered to regardless of race if you want the good results. This is not the time to be a trailblazer. Know the game, play the game, become a doctor.

when someone uses asap rocky, a thug rapper, as the example for their obscure hairstyle...it is reasonable to assume that others might associate that style with said "thug" personalities. this is the rapper that was charged with assault for beating a man in a store after being caught doing drugs in that store. Feel free to like his music if you want, but don't go to a professional high-stakes interview while trying to look like him
I think that most fans of hip hop would consider asap as one of the less 'thuggish' rappers and I only referenced him because he's the most notable public figure with the same hairstyle as mine. With that being said I agree with your last sentence although it is unfair for one to be judged by his/her hairstyle (given their hairstyle isnt too crazy) if they present themselves in a professional manner.

Last edited:
This is the last time Im gonna bring this up but how do you guys feel about rocking dreadlocks in a neat, professional style like dude in the picture below (but obviously with a clean shave and tied back if possible)? If its worth anything I know of a guy with dreads who got accepted into the medical school which I'll be interviewing at last year. Oh.....and Ive searched this question on here but most threads were many years old.View attachment 186009
This looks good, bro.

don't chalk conservatism up to racial issues....those interviewers would have just as much problem with neck tattoos, mohawks, numerous facial piercings or blur hair on white students. Their is an image that is considered the standard...and that image must be adhered to regardless of race if you want the good results. This is not the time to be a trailblazer. Know the game, play the game, become a doctor.
I'm confused- I didn't mention conservatism, just being "conservative" when it comes to appearance. Other than that, I agree.

Edit: I think the issue here was that I'm implying various traditionally African American hairstyles aren't viewed as professional, which is unfortunate.

Totally agree, and its sad that there are interviewers (and regular people) who are too closed minded and/or ignorant to look past this

Last edited:
Not at all, you have to understand that interviewers are usually conservative.

I understand that completely, but that doesn't mean it's OK. I'm just pointing out that the conservatism is problematic in its effect on different races. I am North Indian and if I wore a traditional hairstyle for my race I would have a turban (Sikhism). I am guessing that would be looked on a lot differently than braids and dreadlocks. Granted, you have issues of religion tied up there in the Sikhism case, but the point still stands.

I think you should be. I want a professional looking doctor. A professional appearance gives confidence. If my doctor walked in looking disheveled and in torn and stained up clothing, I would leave immediately and switch doctors - no lie.

and that's reasonable and fine. what isn't is your subconscious association between "braids/afro/dreadlocks" and "disheveled and in torn and stained up clothing". now you've made some progress by making it abundantly clear in this thread, but you seem unwilling to actually consider the frightening implications of your associations.

There in no inherent racism in the word thug.
Debatable.

Edit: I think the issue here was that I'm implying various traditionally African American hairstyles aren't viewed as professional, which is unfortunate.
Yep this is exactly the problem. OP, to quote one of my favorite books, this may be a case of "Play the game, but don't believe in it"-- and as soon as you get accepted start growing your hair out again so you end up as a successful physician with some dope ass hair and work towards ending this ridiculous mess

I would have to think, what if my 85 year old mother and I were waiting in an exam room or an emergency bay and a person with a particular hairdo walked in to draw blood or interview us about her medical issues? If the hairdo is appropriate, I will feel confident that I'm dealing with a competent professional. If the hair doesn't look professional, I'd be uncomfortable. Wear your hair as you would wear it if you were interviewing patients rather than being interviewed yourself.

There is nothing traditional about the haircut of a mediocre rapper, any more than his ex iggy's clothes are "traditional" for white people.

Look like the guy most likely to have an MD and be more likely to get a chance to earn one

Yep this is exactly the problem. OP, to quote one of my favorite books, this may be a case of "Play the game, but don't believe in it"-- and as soon as you get accepted start growing your hair out again so you end up as a successful physician with some dope ass hair and work towards ending this ridiculous mess
Thats my exact plan, or at least I'll get dreaded up then take them out and rock my braids again after I get an acceptance..... that is, if im lucky enough to be granted admission somewhere

There is nothing traditional about the haircut of a mediocre rapper, any more than his ex iggy's clothes are "traditional" for white people.

Look like the guy most likely to have an MD and be more likely to get a chance to earn one
Let me help you out, I think this is what you meant to say; "There is nothing traditional about the haircut of a PHENOMENAL rapper, any more than his ex iggy's clothes are "traditional" for white people."
I cant let you disrespect asap by associating meritocracy with his name :)